Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The TEAMMIGHTYMINIZ Intake Shootout presented by motoring|underground

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 11:12 PM
iDiaz
Coordinator :: Motoring Underground Club Forum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The TEAMMIGHTYMINIZ Intake Shootout presented by motoring|underground

...is finally available for your reading pleasure.

Check it out; I'm sure you guys'll let me know exactly what you think.

http://www.motoringunderground.com/f...splay.php?f=45

-Ivan

Old 01-28-2006, 11:49 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Thanks for posting the results! Interesting that stock is above all others at 5250, and only slightly exceeded as it nears and passes 6K.

Old 01-29-2006, 01:39 AM
Coop d'etat
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great test!!! Thanks to the guys who put aside the time, effort, and cost, to help further some info in the Mini community. It would have been really great if the HAI was on there as well though!! Excellent none the less.

Old 01-29-2006, 05:38 AM
jlm
6th Gear
why would the torque peak occur at a lower rpm by changing intakes? at 3500rpm the airflow is way lower than would challenge any intake restrictions.
I rule out changes in intake path length as a tuning factor since you really have at least 6 feet overall anyway.

and I agree with the Dr.'s remarks on the shootout: they really needed to re-do the baseline run at the end, a pretty major testing flaw which unfortunately weakens the conclusions. This point had been emphasized by many tyros before the testing was run.

I also am amazed at how long it took to get this result out. Am I missing something here?

It would also be interesting to compare the HAI intake dyno review at this time...was it Hollis?

Last edited by jlm; 01-29-2006 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:42 AM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
It looks like the results favor the Alta CAI as far as "bang for buck" Let's see what Randy Webb's testing show.

Old 01-29-2006, 08:12 AM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep. It looks like the Alta and M7 are neck and neck up to the torque peak but the M7 just mantains more torque as it tapers off. The price and ease of install still favors the Alta for most people.

Old 01-29-2006, 08:30 AM
iDiaz
Originally Posted by jlm
why would the torque peak occur at a lower rpm by changing intakes? at 3500rpm the airflow is way lower than would challenge any intake restrictions.
I rule out changes in intake path length as a tuning factor since you really have at least 6 feet overall anyway.

and I agree with the Dr.'s remarks on the shootout: they really needed to re-do the baseline run at the end, a pretty major testing flaw which unfortunately weakens the conclusions. This point had been emphasized by many tyros before the testing was run.

I also am amazed at how long it took to get this result out. Am I missing something here?

It would also be interesting to compare the HAI intake dyno review at this time...was it Hollis?
Thanks everyone!

JLM, as the HAI was not tested on our test car, posting the HAI results would not be a good idea. Not only that, but the HAI was only tested with a single dyno pull (one pull stock, one pull HAI), making it even harder to get a number we can trust.

As far as doing another baseline pull goes, I see what you mean. However, when we designed the test procedure, we felt each intake system (and stock) should get the exact same test procedure to rule out the procedure as a variable. Had we re-tested the baseline, we would have been forced to re-test the others, as well.

Also, have you ever tried to uninstall an M7 AGS?

Old 01-29-2006, 08:58 AM
iDiaz
Originally Posted by jlm
In my opinion, those variables would affect a naturally-aspirated engine much more directly. In this case, we're dealing with a supercharger, so I think the drop in torque peak RPM came from the slight reduction in restriction in the low end, thanks to the huge filters provided by all three intakes. I can't really think of another reason other than that, especially considering the diminuitive size of the stock panel filter.

Old 01-29-2006, 09:12 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Great test TeamMightyMINIZ !

Thanks for sharing the results... for free lol

Old 01-29-2006, 10:20 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No you wouldn't

Originally Posted by iDiaz
As far as doing another baseline pull goes, I see what you mean. However, when we designed the test procedure, we felt each intake system (and stock) should get the exact same test procedure to rule out the procedure as a variable. Had we re-tested the baseline, we would have been forced to re-test the others, as well.
Baseline confirmation is just sound measurement principles. It is not a way to justify never-ending re-measurement of the test subjects. One of the reasons getting good numbers from the AGS IS that it's hard to return to stock, and also that the time to install in longer than most.

Matt

Old 01-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's not what the numbers say...

Originally Posted by Larry Clemens
It looks like the results favor the Alta CAI as far as "bang for buck" Let's see what Randy Webb's testing show.
If Bang for the buck = $/hp, that AGS v2 won this one.

Matt

Old 01-29-2006, 10:27 AM
iDiaz
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
If Bang for the buck = $/hp, that AGS v2 won this one.

Matt
If $ = price of product WITH installation charges and/or time to install it yourself, then the Helix beats the AGS, hands-down.

Old 01-29-2006, 10:30 AM
iDiaz
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
Baseline confirmation is just sound measurement principles. It is not a way to justify never-ending re-measurement of the test subjects.
Perhaps. I'd be willing to do a re-test if you're willing to pay for a day at the dyno and 6 hours of professional installation time. Though such baseline confirmation methods would be ideal, I don't think anyone here, including the shops involved, are willing to dole out the money for another full day at the shop/dyno.

Hm... I'm not sure I follow what you're saying here:

One of the reasons getting good numbers from the AGS IS that it's hard to return to stock, and also that the time to install in longer than most.

Matt

Old 01-29-2006, 10:35 AM
coopa25
Banned
This is by no means to start any kind of argument but why would anyone care to re-dyno for less than 10 hp? Especially to pay labor for finding out?

Old 01-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
Alta wins Bang/buck/installation

Old 01-29-2006, 11:18 AM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Another data point sure would have been interesting: a K&N or other non-paper filter in the stock box. As I calculate, the panel in the stock `05 airbox has just about as much surface area as any cone filter used by the aftermarket intakes

My guess is that it would give at Least half the benefit of a Helix type at 20% of the cost.

The Alta results also make me wonder how the stock airbox would do if the accordian hose was replaced by a smooth intake hose?

Old 01-29-2006, 12:23 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Stop the flaming!

I think the real question is : Does an extra 2-3hp worth twice the price and installation time?

My personnal opinion is : NO.

I'm very satisfied with my Alta CAI and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Old 01-29-2006, 12:41 PM
tsukiji
4th Gear
Originally Posted by OldRick
The Alta results also make me wonder how the stock airbox would do if the accordian hose was replaced by a smooth intake hose?
The stock hose is pretty smooth on the inside.

Old 01-29-2006, 01:23 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Check it out; I'm sure you guys'll let me know exactly what you think.
Nice write-up

Just one clarification ...

The first intake for the MINI Cooper S was the one offered by Rogue Engineering and MINI Madness. Randy Webb soon posted instructions on drilling holes in the partition between the back of the airbox and cowl area, and then Alta and later Helix/RDR simply "eliminated" the partition in their intakes.

Old 01-29-2006, 01:24 PM
RECOOP
4th Gear
Nice presentation, even though the results underscore some of the concerns about methodology expressed by others. Your dyno graphs are straight forward, but only show one run (presumably the best). For the detail oriented folks, would you include both runs for each intake? Again, many thanks for getting your results to the MINI community...

Old 01-29-2006, 01:43 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by coopa25
This is by no means to start any kind of argument but why would anyone care to re-dyno for less than 10 hp? Especially to pay labor for finding out?
from the other thread i responded to you with :
Will has said it very nicely, but i would like to continue on his train of thought, because what you said is something that i think is very important when it comes to the decision to buy the intake.

Firstly, like he said, these were gains on a stock engine. With more engine work, the gains will be better. You will never see them putting out 45 hp or anything....but it will help.

Secondly. Strictly HP isn't the only reason to buy an intake. The biggest difference that i think a lot of people have noticed, is the noise/growl that an intake introduces into the car. We are all car enthusiasts, and many people love to hear the engine growl with a nice intake or exhaust. It makes the driving experience that much more fun for people who prefer those types of things. I know i love the sound my MC makes with it intake.

Another one to think about is throttle response. A well designed intake will help with throttle response, which is yet another "performance" enhancement. It will help when you wanna go out for a nice drive in the twisties.

Then there comes a point which may not be as valid for some people, but still a very good point. A lot of people just love their cars. Because of this, they enjoy making changes to it and modifying it. They want to make it sound the way they want, have their engine bays look the way they want, and just have the nice feeling that they did something to the car they love.
So an intake, which helps with the noise, and aesthetic department AS WELL as helping in the performance department, is often seen as a great starting point for modding.

With that being said, if you just want best HP/$ your best bet is the pulley. No one would dispute that. But the intake is a great addition if you want to continue modding your car, and want to make it growl.
There is more to car modifying then just HP numbers. Engine response, engine noise, looks, and other things.

Old 01-29-2006, 01:47 PM
iDiaz
Originally Posted by MINIAC
Nice write-up

Just one clarification ...

The first intake for the MINI Cooper S was the one offered by Rogue Engineering and MINI Madness. Randy Webb soon posted instructions on drilling holes in the partition between the back of the airbox and cowl area, and then Alta and later Helix/RDR simply "eliminated" the partition in their intakes.
Thanks! The article states the following, though:

Helix Minisports (http://www.helix13.com, 877-Helix13) was one of the first MINI tuners to bring a cold air intake for the MCS to market.

Old 01-29-2006, 01:48 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkMiniCooperS
Stop the flaming!

I think the real question is : Does an extra 2-3hp worth twice the price and installation time?

My personnal opinion is : NO.

I'm very satisfied with my Alta CAI and wouldn't trade it for anything else.
That's what it comes down to...personal opinions. Here's mine...YES Installation time is relative to skill/aptitude. As a beta tester of the AGS, I've installed/removed/installed mine nearly half dozen times and it's not as painful as everyone makes it out to be...To me, it's theraputic excercise. It also freed up the airbox area for my LOUDA$$ Horn Then there's the new intake Sound...that sound unlike any other

Old 01-29-2006, 01:57 PM
iDiaz
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
That's what it comes down to...personal opinions. Here's mine...YES Installation time is relative to skill/aptitude. As a beta tester of the AGS, I've installed/removed/installed mine nearly half dozen times and it's not as painful as everyone makes it out to be...To me, it's theraputic excercise. It also freed up the airbox area for my LOUDA$$ Horn Then there's the new intake Sound...that sound unlike any other
I also run the AGS, and as mine was the very first prototype car, I can attest to the difficulty in getting the AGS installed and running properly. Considering part of the installation requires you to Dremel out part of the radiator surround to get it to clear the radiator hose, I stand by my claim that the AGS is extremely invasive and time-consuming. You don't need a Dremel to install the other intakes, so for those who don't own one, that may also be a consideration in determining the total cost of ownership for the AGS.

On a couple of occasions, my car also had trouble cranking up, as it would start up with the initial rev, then instead of dropping back down and settling into an idle, it would just die. Despite taking the utmost care to install it properly the first time, this refusal of my car to idle required us to remove the intake entirely and reinstall it to assure proper installation. After two more poor starts, it finally settled into an idle, and has been golden ever since.

Somehow, I really don't see that sort of situation happening with the Helix and the Alta, so again, I stand by my claim that the AGS is quite the bear when it comes to installation. Somehow, the hiss of the throttle body, the howl of the supercharger, and a swift kick in the pants in additional power and torque managed to quell my concerns, though.

Old 01-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
You have a good point. I personally love working on my car. Having to take the time to install the AGS would be a great weekend activity for me.

It's really about personal opinion, which is why its so great that there are so many good performers out there so that people can pick which one is right for them whether they want easy installation, loud noise, or cool looks.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The TEAMMIGHTYMINIZ Intake Shootout presented by motoring|underground