Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Help with my key?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Speedwing
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ottos MINI provided me with a new replacement key. They gave me a sheet of paper with the key coding directions. This was for a BMW key in the pictured key on the sheet. He told me to do the new un-coded key first, and follow with the second working key within 30 seconds of the new key. These instructions were exactly the same as Steve outlined above.

I now have two working keys! Thanks to Nicole, my SA at Otto's.

The battery in the defective remote was 3.4 volts .... so I predict something else is wrong. I'm going to give Otto's a few days to ask for the old key back before really hacking into the circuits and components inside the defective fob.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:35 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by k_h_d
Great information. Quick question, if you have multiple keys and only need to reprogram one you don't have to have all keys present in the car and do the method with all the keys right? Just the one you need programmed?

you need to have both keys with you. If you only code one then the other one will become dead.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:19 AM
Speedwing
4th Gear
Motormouth is correct! You have to do the second key within 30 seconds of the first. The second key DOES NOT go into the ignition, it just gets done right after the first key gets done cycling the locks. The second key will also cycle the locks when finished.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:24 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Speedwing
Motormouth is correct! You have to do the second key within 30 seconds of the first. The second key DOES NOT go into the ignition, it just gets done right after the first key gets done cycling the locks. The second key will also cycle the locks when finished.
Sounds good. I am planning on doing something which I hope works. Please let me know what you think. I bought my car used and it only came with one remote key. I went to the dealer to buy a new one and found out it would be almost $250 to get another.

I have two non-remote keys. I just bought a remote key (used) off of Ebay for $25. I am planning on taking one of the non remote keys apart and removing the laser cut metal key portion and putting it in the remote key. I am also going to remove the computer chip from the non-remote key and put it the remote key I bought so it will be programed to start my car. After I confirm that works I plan on reprogramming both of my remote keys. I read somewhere that this can be done. If anyone can confirm I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
k

Old 09-27-2007, 08:00 PM
DrkSilver163
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini-RI
What astounds me is how Steve found out how to do this?! Its kind of like the old video game cheat codes - press up-down-left-right-A-B-A-B then tap D 5 times - or whatever. Always made me wonder how anyone ever figured out how to do it. Always made me feel dumb LOL!
If youre referring to the Konami code (Contra) its UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT B A B A SELECT START

I am a huge nerd

Last edited by DrkSilver163; 09-27-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:08 AM
Speedwing
4th Gear
k_h_d You are good to go!

The remote key you bought from E-Bay will be easier than you expected to get working!!! The keys are glued together. The bottom half (without the buttons) has the hard key attached. You can use the top half of the E-Bay key, the electronic module will sit in it, and glue your existing bottom half to it.

Follow Steves directions to the letter.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:25 PM
wildcrazy442000
4th Gear
I had a loose Battery cable. The car would crank and run fine, but the security System went stupid.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:54 PM
irieman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mielnicki
...You need to have all the keys with you when you get in the car.

1. Get in the car and shut the doors...
That's gotta be good for at least an hour of service at dealer rate, right? Looks like someone owes steve a steak dinner!

Seriously though, that is some great info! This has already been cut and pasted into my "dealer avoidance" file! I don't need it yet- but when I do...

Thanks Steve!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:38 PM
ryansoxfan
2nd Gear
just got my mini a couple of months ago. the remote key has never worked. i followed the directions here and it still did not work. i bought a used key off ebay for $9 and pulled the circuit board out and swapped it into my original key. i tried the programming here and still nothing. there is a little light on the circuit board that lights up when the buttons are pressed. you can't see this light unless the circuit board is out. both circuit boards i have light up so i am assuming they work. any other ideas i can try??? i am a poor college student and i don't have the money to have the dealer fix this. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks!

Old 10-16-2007, 10:49 AM
ryansoxfan
2nd Gear
looked at my car today in the daylight, the little black box up by the rearview mirror is the receiver for the remote key correct?? i looked at this box and it looks like there should be a clip from a wiring harness plugged into the top of the box. there is a socket for a wire clip to go in but no wire! i think this could be my problem. not sure what happened to the wire, hopefully it is tucked under the headliner.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:49 AM
Mazinger
Neutral
Originally Posted by mielnicki
The problem is that one of your keys lost it's association with the car. It is not a dead or defective battery. It has happened to me twice in the past year.

You need to have all the keys with you when you get in the car.

1. Get in the car and shut the doors. (don't open any of the doors until you are complete.

2. Put a key in the ignition and turn it to the first click, then back and take the key out. (you have 5 seconds to perform the next step)

3. HOLD DOWN the unlock button, and press the lock button 3 times, then release the unlock button. The doors of the car should lock or unlock. Don't touch the doors or door locks.

4. Once the doors have locked/unlocked then just do step 3 with the other keys. Just hold down the unlock button, press the lock 3 times and release the unlock button.

5. Once you do this with all the keys then you can open the door or put a key in the ignition and the programming is ended.

6. Then try the lock and unlock on all the keys. If they don't work you can try it again.

Steve

Registered here to say Thank You