R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Spare tire options for roadster

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 02:58 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
If that were a full size tire it would look goofy, but with the small tire it looks great! Really good job! Did you have to do anything special to get the license plate lit?

Old 07-04-2015, 03:16 PM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TG.
Now I just need a matching set of those driving lights with those look alike covers
Like these?

Just realized I don't have any with them on the car. I'll fix that next time I wash it.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:15 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by rwkeating
If that were a full size tire it would look goofy, but with the small tire it looks great! Really good job! Did you have to do anything special to get the license plate lit?
The plate and lighting definitely added a level of complexity.
Keep in mind most of this is custom so even the light fixture you see I had to create.
The happy accident is that I needed to create a supporting plate for the license plate. I'll show some details about this later. After trying different things (due to the center of the wheel being raised from the face of the tire) I found that making it slightly smaller than the tire was creating a chamfer to the cover which added a nice depth and finish to the whole thing, so I was pleased with that.
But that and having to wire it through the spare wheel wasn't the easiest part of the project unfortunately. Surprisingly everything went very smooth on this project until I got to the lighting... and I thought it would have been the easiest part It's making the assembly more complicated than I wanted to and it's not as easy swap as I had hoped for but it works.

Light is wired though the middle of the spare wheel, then through the mount, under the chassis of the car, back in the trunk compartment where it is attached to the 12 volt power outlet. I have a quick sealed connector under the car detach the entire contraption from the car, and an other quick connector to separate the license plate holder + cover from the spare wheel to make it easier to disassemble.

One other thing is that I had to dig in some basic information about light and license plate to stay within legal requirements
The plate can't be angled more than 30° (which was not an issue for my design). The light must be white(ish) and needs to lit the plate enough (though enough isn't a difficult requirement). I found those DOT approved led lights which I modified and made my own aluminum bracket to mount with a polished stainless steel frame holder.

Anyway, probably more details than you wanted

Originally Posted by spiney
Like these?
Exactly
I got the inspiration for the cover design from those obviously.

Last edited by TG.; 07-05-2015 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:05 AM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I like the details. Looking forward to more Thanks!

Old 07-05-2015, 10:37 AM
Tio Barry
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
How about supporting the license plate from the rear tow hook like some folks do on the front?

Old 07-05-2015, 10:51 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Just looks too busy...

Old 07-08-2015, 06:33 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Tomorrow we'll be putting this design to the test . . . we'll be leaving for a 3,000 miles road trip going from Western PA, to Canada (Toronto, Ottawa), back to NY through lake Placid), VT, ME (north of Portland), and back to Western PA. We'll see how it does

Old 07-11-2015, 12:30 PM
minijennfrogger
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TG.
Tomorrow we'll be putting this design to the test . . . we'll be leaving for a 3,000 miles road trip going from Western PA, to Canada (Toronto, Ottawa), back to NY through lake Placid), VT, ME (north of Portland), and back to Western PA. We'll see how it does
Looks great TG, have a great trip and here's to not needing the spare😀

Old 07-11-2015, 04:30 PM
komet155
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks fantastic! I especially like how the cross is reminiscent of the Scottish Saltire. Goes well with Kite Blue. Was that your intention or did it just work out that way?

Originally Posted by TG.
Okay.... it's done . . . just in time for our 3,000 miles road trip!

Old 07-20-2015, 08:21 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minijennfrogger
Looks great TG, have a great trip and here's to not needing the spare😀
Thanks minijenn!

Well it performed flawlessly and indeed we did not need the spare on our 2,200miles journey

We drove through Niagara falls, Toronto, Ottawa, Corwall, Whiteface mountain (NY), Lake Placid (NY), crossed lake Champlain by ferry at Essex (VT), Mt Washington, Camden (ME), Rockport, Castine, Bar Harbor, Freeport, Portland (ME), and our last stop Danbury (CT) and nearby Buddhist temple, before driving back home.

We drove top town for most of the trip

Originally Posted by komet155
That looks fantastic! I especially like how the cross is reminiscent of the Scottish Saltire. Goes well with Kite Blue. Was that your intention or did it just work out that way?
Thanks. I'm pretty pleased how it turned out but I must say it was not inspired from the Scottish Saltire