R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Wear marks on Roadster top

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:04 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TG.
Shame you couldn't just take the opportunity for an upgrade! but I guess that would require you to pay for a full motor assembly ding$ ding$ ding$
I actually wanted the full manual. In case I keep the car long term out of warranty (which is looking more and more likely) there's a LOT less to go wrong down the line. Just look at RealOEM if you want to see the sheer number of electric and hydraulic bits involved...

Old 04-15-2014, 09:29 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
We're keeping the car for the long haul as well. I would still rather have the semi automatic top. It's too convenient for us, and especially for my wife. But I understand your concerns. Each is own risk taking :thumbzsup:

Old 04-15-2014, 08:27 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had my Roadster in for service and my Service Advisor said that they've replaced three of these tops already. He said that it's a guaranteed two day project that takes two technicians. Doesn't sound like much fun. He said that the top is very rigid and difficult to work with and as part of the installation process, the top needs to be heated up with a heat gun to slightly soften the material. PITA!

Old 04-15-2014, 08:43 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mr. T
I had my Roadster in for service and my Service Advisor said that they've replaced three of these tops already. He said that it's a guaranteed two day project that takes two technicians. Doesn't sound like much fun. He said that the top is very rigid and difficult to work with and as part of the installation process, the top needs to be heated up with a heat gun to slightly soften the material. PITA!
Yikes! don't make me feel bad I'd feel sorry to ask if I ever need to replace ours

I do think it's way overkill on their part to replace all this for a very slightly rubbing area.
Seriously it is not touching by much. All it needs is a slight preventative pull to avoid days of tech services on this job.
If only there were more MINI internal communication to understand what could be adjusted instead of this all procedure!

Old 04-15-2014, 08:55 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TG.
Yikes! don't make me feel bad I'd feel sorry to ask if I ever need to replace ours

I do think it's way overkill on their part to replace all this for a very slightly rubbing area.
Seriously it is not touching by much. All it needs is a slight preventative pull to avoid days of tech services on this job.
If only there were more MINI internal communication to understand what could be adjusted instead of this all procedure!
I'm sure that it's all about preventive measures. They figure it's cheeper to replace the top then the top and the interior that was damaged as a result of a wear spot.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:24 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. T
This is a valuable data point. It convinces me that if my wear spots become marginally acceptable as the end of the factory warranty period approaches, I'll insist on getting this done before the warranty expires. Two days x two techs does not equate to an inexpensive labor bill, not to mention the cost of a complete swap of the fabric and frame.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:49 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
This is a valuable data point. It convinces me that if my wear spots become marginally acceptable as the end of the factory warranty period approaches, I'll insist on getting this done before the warranty expires. Two days x two techs does not equate to an inexpensive labor bill, not to mention the cost of a complete swap of the fabric and frame.
Personally I would prefer finding a fix before wear starts to show. From the sound of it I am not keen on having them dismount and remount something that sounds possibly complicated and for which they aren't that well trained to do. Too many risk for more problems after it's done such as possible annoying vibrations, miss-alignement, etc...
That all said if it ends up being damage than it's definitely a good idea to have it fixed before warranty runs out!

Last edited by TG.; 04-16-2014 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:35 AM
nfo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TG.
Personally I would prefer finding a fix before wear starts to show. From the sound of it I am not keen on having them dismount and remount something that sounds possibly complicated and for which they aren't that well trained to do. Too many risk for more problems after it's done such as possible annoying vibrations, miss-alignement, etc...
That all said if it ends up being damage than it's definitely a good idea to have it fixed before warranty runs out!
I was thinking the same thing.. But i may just have to bite the bullet and have them do it. On the flip side.. it may just get rid of the few noises i currently have.

Anyone with a replaced top still have the clunking noise while driving with the top down?

Old 04-16-2014, 07:14 AM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
My wear spot is mildly superficial and the dealership is willing to do the replacement based on the directive from BMW/MINI. You're correct when identifying that this work could potentially be a costly replacement outside the warranty. As you can imagine, it's the nature of the work that requires two people.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:21 AM
noreen99
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TG.
Shame you couldn't just take the opportunity for an upgrade! but I guess that would require you to pay for a full motor assembly ding$ ding$ ding$

Tg

Some of us actually prefer the manual top, for me at least cost had nothing to do with it. If I wanted the option I would have ordered it that way.

If offered the " upgrade " for free I would turn it down.

I enjoy the retro " manual " top, to me it is part of my cars charm.

Besides I love my little cooler stocked with 12 pack of diet Mountain Dew for road trips, can't do that with motor assembly.

To each his own, but I wouldn't assume its a money factor, my stripes cost more than the semi auto top

Old 04-17-2014, 07:30 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Originally Posted by noreen99
Some of us actually prefer the manual top, for me at least cost had nothing to do with it. If I wanted the option I would have ordered it that way.
Count me in that group, I had the choice and chose manual.
Originally Posted by noreen99
If offered the " upgrade " for free I would turn it down.

I enjoy the retro " manual " top, to me it is part of my cars charm.
My loaner while I'm having my top replaced is a Justa Roadster with the semi-auto, and I kind of miss the fun of up/down manually at the start and end of the drive, it definitely feels more of an "occasion" with the manual setup. I wouldn't want a free upgrade either!

Old 04-17-2014, 08:18 AM
noreen99
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spiney
Count me in that group, I had the choice and chose manual. My loaner while I'm having my top replaced is a Justa Roadster with the semi-auto, and I kind of miss the fun of up/down manually at the start and end of the drive, it definitely feels more of an "occasion" with the manual setup. I wouldn't want a free upgrade either!

Spiney,

Just curious, how is speed on semi auto top?
I had showdown with my sister ( bmw roadster) I could get my top up and down three times in the time it took to get hers down

Old 04-17-2014, 10:00 AM
TG.
6th Gear
you guys are purist . . . no problem with that. I get the attraction in that

The semi-automatic top opening isn't that slow. About 5 second from time the latch is open. It's quick enough for me. Nothing beats mechanical opening as long as it is ergonomically well designed. Not having one I could not say

I like the flexibility the semi-automatic top gives me. I'm never worried to open the top on a rainy day or in traffic. With practice I'm sure one can get really good at opening the manual top too without looking
I enjoy the top open when ever possible so I don't feel the need for the ritual but I can appreciate that. It's like following the real strawberry season!

Main draw back for me is the need to drive below 20/25 ml/hr. it has nothing to do with the automatic per say (more a matter of safety) but I wish it would be a little more flexible like 30/35 ml/hr.

As you say noreen each his own. Personally it would be hard for me to go back to fully manual top... plus I can't deny I enjoy the magic of it too

Old 04-18-2014, 07:31 PM
spiney
6th Gear
Update: still not complete. The right top has arrived, but they couldn't finish it today. Apparently they are difficult to adjust. Should get it on Monday.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:58 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Update: still not complete. The right top has arrived, but they couldn't finish it today. Apparently they are difficult to adjust. Should get it on Monday.
The tension on this is killing me

Old 04-21-2014, 09:14 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Got it back on Saturday morning. It's better, but I don't think it's cured. I have had the top up and down a few times, and it now seems to touch occasionally instead of all the time. Not sure where to go really. They did a nice job fitting it, it doesn't rattle, all the fit lines are good, there's no wind noise, and although it hasn't rained on me yet they said they did a successful hose test for water leaks. The top is a little easier to operate, maybe they just adjusted a spring or hydraulics (not sure what there is) to give a little less resistance or more assistance when moving the top. I'm going to live with it for a week or two and see what happens to the potential wear spot once it's bedded in and finished acclimatizing. I'll post a picture or two later.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Got it back on Saturday morning. It's better, but I don't think it's cured. I have had the top up and down a few times, and it now seems to touch occasionally instead of all the time. Not sure where to go really. They did a nice job fitting it, it doesn't rattle, all the fit lines are good, there's no wind noise, and although it hasn't rained on me yet they said they did a successful hose test for water leaks. The top is a little easier to operate, maybe they just adjusted a spring or hydraulics (not sure what there is) to give a little less resistance or more assistance when moving the top. I'm going to live with it for a week or two and see what happens to the potential wear spot once it's bedded in and finished acclimatizing. I'll post a picture or two later.
Your results sound promising but only time will tell, spiney.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:59 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Overall it sounds promising
I was hoping for a more black and white answer and I can't shake the feeling that they have not really fixed the problem and mostly count on variation from model to model, wear taking longer to show, or people not complaining not to have to provide a real fix... who knows...

Is the material any different? I thought someone had mentioned that before. I was not sure if it is true...

I really wish I'd knew what adjustment they can actually make to the hardware other than how the fabric is applied and stretch over the frame... I really hope I have the time to look into it soon. So far we've had the car for not yet 9 month ( less than 7,000miles, half that top down) and I can't say the top has any significant mark that could possibly justify replacing it. But I can see very very faint marks. So I'd like to found a fix sooner than later...

Old 04-22-2014, 04:26 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Some before-and-after comparisons:
Left side before:

Left side after:

Right side before:

Right side after:

Old 04-22-2014, 04:44 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Wow, that does indeed look much better!

Old 04-22-2014, 07:22 AM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TG.
Wow, that does indeed look much better!
Agreed. There seems to be more tolerance between the top and trim edge. Hopefully this will resolve the rubbing issue for you, spiney.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:38 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
Looks like a great fix to me. I wonder if the service bulletin address specific model years. I have a '14.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:55 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Resurrecting an old one here...

The car is back at the dealer's today, mostly for front/rear brakes, but...

At the same time I'm having them look at some torn seals on the top. If you open the top just a bit, as the frame becomes exposed above the windows you will see some rubber seals on the top of the frame. On the old top there was never an issue with them. On the new top after not even three months they are torn somehow, and little bits dangle down and can be seen beyond the edge of the top. I'll update the thread with what happens...

Old 06-20-2014, 04:30 AM
spiney
6th Gear
I decided to make a separate thread in the Roadster section to follow the new seal issue. That thread is over here. Mods, please leave that thread in the Roadster section where it belongs, and again consider putting this thread back over there...

Old 08-18-2014, 07:58 AM
MrSix7
1st Gear
Well, I started this thread just over a year ago when my marks started showing up. At the time the dealer said that they weren't bad enough to warrant replacing the top. I took it in for service today and asked them to check the top again since the marks are getting progressively worse. They are ordering in a new top to replace it. Glad it's being taken care of under warranty.

Quick Reply: R59 Wear marks on Roadster top