R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2011 Mini hardtop Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 06:09 AM
Richard Reynolds
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Mini hardtop Thermostat

My old thermostat is currently hung open. I bought a new one and went to do the replacement myself. The problem is when I got into It i took notice that there's a new sensor on top of my thermostat which the original does not have. Also the old connector at the bottom does not match up. At first I thought oh hey they ordered the wrong part for my car but every thermostat I see for my car is the exact same as the new one. I need help my car is due for inspection and it fails emission with the hanging thermostat. I don't know if there was a change that BMW had made to the thermostat after the car been produced and the past owner never took it in to have in changed or what. I'm at a loss and since it's a Sunday none of the near by dealships are open.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:44 AM
jackski2
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They changed the sensor location. Got me too. The old sensor location is not used.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:35 AM
Richard Reynolds
Neutral
It looks like it still has the prongs in the original spot though. The connectors are just way wider than the new ones the one store up here says they have an adapter to change the plug but of course that's 50 more. I'm also wondering if Mini did an open recall for the change

The new top sensor

New bottom sensor in original location

The connector for original location

Goes from the jumper into two separate plugs ones screw in which I have show in another picture

The screw in plug

Old 01-22-2017, 08:29 AM
jackski2
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I tried to get a picture but as you know the plug is buried pretty deep in there so no go. However, mine has a very small 45 degree adaptor right at the thermostat end of the plug. It was done under warranty a couple of years ago. I don't know if there was a recall.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:23 PM
sgscomps
4th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
MINI has revised thermostats multiple times since your car was built. The best way to get the correct thermostat and correct sensor adapter harness is from your local MINI dealer. There have also possibly been recalls on your car changing the thermostat and hoses, this is where it gets fun to figure out the new parts. As much as people complain about the dealers they can get the right parts and fix it without you getting wrong parts due to possible recalls being done on your car.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:55 PM
Richard Reynolds
Neutral
Thank you both I'm gonna call the dealer tomorrow morning and go from there. I did look up the harness they told me about and it looks like it deletes the screw in one and runs off the other two but to be safe I'm definitely gonna follow up with the dealer before I do so. Again thank you