R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2007 R56 won't start, new battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 05:45 AM
midacl
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 R56 won't start, new battery

After lunch yesterday, my Mini didn't want to start, it just clicked. I popped the key out, and back in. After that it started up, albeit a little slower then normal. After work, same thing, but this time popping the key in and out didnt help. Eventually I got someone at work to help me jump it, and it fired right up.

I picked up a new battery, and installed it. But didnt bother trying to start it last night. When I went to start it this morning, it just clicked.... I didn't have much time to waste trying to figure out why, so I drove my truck into work today.

What should I look at tonight when I get home? I am 99% sure I tightened both terminals enough, and checked that they did not rotate. And everything else seems to be working. Its in my heated garage, so its not sitting outside in single digit weather.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:20 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
can you get a voltage reading at the terminals (not batt posts)?

Old 01-18-2017, 07:24 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by midacl
After lunch yesterday, my Mini didn't want to start, it just clicked. I popped the key out, and back in. After that it started up, albeit a little slower then normal. After work, same thing, but this time popping the key in and out didnt help. Eventually I got someone at work to help me jump it, and it fired right up.

I picked up a new battery, and installed it. But didnt bother trying to start it last night. When I went to start it this morning, it just clicked.... I didn't have much time to waste trying to figure out why, so I drove my truck into work today.

What should I look at tonight when I get home? I am 99% sure I tightened both terminals enough, and checked that they did not rotate. And everything else seems to be working. Its in my heated garage, so its not sitting outside in single digit weather.

Any updates, what was the solution if any?

Old 01-20-2017, 05:48 PM
Kcblackwell07
1st Gear
Try cleaning the terminals and the wires with a terminal brush even if they look clean.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:54 AM
NikiMae31
3rd Gear
I had my battery die on me, but it was the original battery. Once I replaced it, I needed to have the new battery registered to the car by my Mini dealer. Dunno if you could jump it and get it into the dealer to have it registered.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:01 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I replaced my battery without registering it and it worked OK.