R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Code Reader/Scanner Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 08:51 AM
malsalah
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code Reader/Scanner Recommendation

Any recommendation on a Code reader/scanner? I am looking for a Scanner to add in my tool box (Mini Cooper Compatible), there are soooo many out there, interested in one for Check Engine light diagnostic and possibly ABS/SRS, not looking for a basic model and or a high end one...just one in the middle...I like the Live Data read out. probably an average of $150.00 is my budget...Any recommendation is much appreciated.....Thank you

Old 04-17-2015, 10:11 AM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
I don't have one, but I see a lot of chatter on NAM about -

http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/

Old 04-17-2015, 11:06 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The SGII is pretty good for live data read-out, though the slowish update rate isn't that convenient for quickly-changing parameters like RPM. I believe that it can only read the "generic" codes, not the MINI-specific ones. So if you're looking for the latter, you may have to use one of the higher-end scanners. I'm not sure those work very well as live-data readouts, though.

Linear Logic can add some gauges to the SGII that are specific to the MINI. Some of the vendors here will also code those in if you buy through them. I think those included oil temp or pressure? I forget now...

The UltraGauge is another alternative. It has a much nicer-looking display than the SGII, but is otherwise fairly similar. (I'm not sure you can set up new gauges in it, like you can with the SG, though.) At one point, at least, there was an issue with the UG causing the MINI to "wake up" when the car was off, draining the battery in the process. I think that may have been fixed in the last year or two, but I'm not sure.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:39 PM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Bought a Scangauge II and it works very well. Be sure to order a MINI specific one as this is what you'll need. Purchasing online from Auto Zone gives you a good discount(as opposed to going to the store) free shipping (fast) and a $20 gift card. Get a mounting bracket from Craven and then see how you can improve your 1/4 mile times. Admit it. This is how we have MINI fun.

ISAMIN

Old 04-17-2015, 05:48 PM
2010CHILI
3rd Gear
I've had an SGII for about two years, and wouldn't go on without it. Excellent code reader, useful mini specific gauges, great for tracking mileage and fuel costs. It has given me early warning of temperature issues and a failing battery. I bought mine used here on the board for under $100 and the company updated it free for me, and got it back within a few days. I really can't recommend it enough!

Old 04-18-2015, 09:25 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
The Scangauge is a great tool for engine codes and gauges. We offer them for the MINI custom programmed to already read the MINI specific gauges like oil temp, oil pressure on N18, boost, and a few others.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/scangauge-ii.html

If you want more diag abilities the Easy Diag tool is really great for the price as it works with Iphone or Android device. It can read ABS, Airbag, Engine, and the other modules in the MINI.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/easy-di...stic-tool.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-18-2015, 10:13 AM
malsalah
2nd Gear
Thank you for u all for the feedback.