R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 ra2fanatic's R56S build

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 07:07 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by laforze
You SOB! What made you make this decision? I thought you were enjoying the mini? I'll definitely be looking at your fs threads.
I was and I wasn't. I know it's an amazingly fun car to drive but I just got tired of the maintenance issues and just the dread that it may break down at one point and having to do the walnut she'll blasting on a reg basis. Just got tired of it.

I got the M and I got the Prius so I wanted a fun, small, no issues car I can daily.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:50 PM
R56BrgMcs
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
The new Miata is a pretty amazing little car. I hear you on the reliability and random break down issue.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:20 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
I was and I wasn't. I know it's an amazingly fun car to drive but I just got tired of the maintenance issues and just the dread that it may break down at one point and having to do the walnut she'll blasting on a reg basis. Just got tired of it.

I got the M and I got the Prius so I wanted a fun, small, no issues car I can daily.
I sympathize with your decision. Extra maintenance and fear of breakdowns is always a part of modifying a car to extremes. I have the benefit of being retired and no other major responsibilities --- spouse excluded. These "disadvantages" are what keep me busy during the day.

Also, trying to figure out a way to bypass the PCV system is a fun challenge. So far, my valves haven't yet needed the walnut blast --- rebuilt head on initial purchase, and rebuilt again after about 40K miles and 4.5 years, so I'm on the right track, just not yet finished. The 1st rebuild was for porting --- 2nd time was for manifold matching and spring install. Second time, the valves were relatively clean, so just had them reseated. Valve cleaning is part of any head rebuild process.

Anyhow, I enjoyed this thread and your contributions to others' threads. Best of luck with your new toys.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:41 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Damn I'll miss all your builds, you have had some of the most incredible Mini builds I have ever seen! What a loss, no more ra2fanatic's R56S builds!

What are you plans for the Miata? Turbo?

Old 10-12-2015, 11:09 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Damn I'll miss all your builds, you have had some of the most incredible Mini builds I have ever seen! What a loss, no more ra2fanatic's R56S builds!

What are you plans for the Miata? Turbo?
Thanks System. It was really fun and it's sad to see it go, but I am ready to move on. If I need to move things around, I have the Prius and M to deal with that, but the Miata is just going to be my everyday car, so it's fun and exhilarating to drive around.

Plans for the Miata....not sure! I'm new to the whole "ND" Miata. So just figuring out the forum lingo on the MX forums is new. Looking at wheels already, and suspension options, brake options, aero bits. Stuff like that.

As far as I could tell from initial research, only Ohlin seems to be the most reputable suspension choices available right now, which I may go with and brakes...Stoptech doesn't have a kit for it, but Wilwood does. I don't want Wilwood, so I'll see what else there's to do, but I doubt I'll go crazy on this MX-5. I know my CCW's will fit on the MX, but I think 18's on it are waaaay too big, having seen a few photos it looks wrong. BUT! Time will tell...

Old 10-12-2015, 11:12 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
I sympathize with your decision. Extra maintenance and fear of breakdowns is always a part of modifying a car to extremes. I have the benefit of being retired and no other major responsibilities --- spouse excluded. These "disadvantages" are what keep me busy during the day.

Also, trying to figure out a way to bypass the PCV system is a fun challenge. So far, my valves haven't yet needed the walnut blast --- rebuilt head on initial purchase, and rebuilt again after about 40K miles and 4.5 years, so I'm on the right track, just not yet finished. The 1st rebuild was for porting --- 2nd time was for manifold matching and spring install. Second time, the valves were relatively clean, so just had them reseated. Valve cleaning is part of any head rebuild process.

Anyhow, I enjoyed this thread and your contributions to others' threads. Best of luck with your new toys.
Ah I understand what you mean. If I had more free time I wouldn't be worried about the challenges of the MINI, but seeing as my free time has diminished substantially because of my insane work schedule, I just couldn't keep up and tinkering is more of a chore now than it is pleasure.

Having to work on a turbo swap for a friend was now a bit of a part out for me is more a necessity than anything else, so trying to find energy to do it at 10pm at night and still wake up and get to work before my bosses get in takes a toll on the long run with my projects, so I have to find a good balance.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:59 AM
tomy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
Well, it is with a bittersweet announcement, that I will no longer be part of the MINI community. I have given up on the MINI and moving onto other projects. A few things will come off and be in the marketplace, but for the most part, it will be gone...

In it's place....a new 2016 MX-5 in Ceramic White with a slick shifting 6-Speed!

Thank you all for a great time in this forum. It's been a great 5+ years on here...

Thank you very much for the "journey" mate.
Have fun with your new toy. Look to "east" for tuning ideas..