R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Mini Goodwood

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 07:40 AM
YZZX
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ian, I have access to UT equipment at work. I am going to measure my MCS paint thickness and my 02 Mercedes C230. I will post findings. I know my MINIs paint is super thin because I banged my door on the garage wall and noticed the wear.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:51 PM
Ian Fraser
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did a check on my JCW it was thin as well but more consistent across the car. It's like the Goodwood was painted by a drunk guy. My Land Rover LR4 has thicker more consistent paint quality.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Ian Fraser
3rd Gear
I have just found out in the US market the JCW GP will get numbers! I have sent an email today to BMW/MINI asking them to reconsider again build numbers for the Goodwood. I was told by Kay Segler that BMW/MINI are not going to issue build numbers at all because of issues in the past. Well it would seem someone changed their mind.

Oh I have also told a few Australia GP buyers.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:52 PM
Ian Fraser
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by YZZX
Ian, I have access to UT equipment at work. I am going to measure my MCS paint thickness and my 02 Mercedes C230. I will post findings. I know my MINIs paint is super thin because I banged my door on the garage wall and noticed the wear.
Did you check your paint?

Old 04-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Ian Fraser
3rd Gear
Looks like the Goodwood owners have taken a break.

Are you out there?

I will have some video online soon of our Goodwood on a Mountain run stay tuned.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Last edited by Kurtster; 04-27-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:52 AM
roalco
1st Gear
Still here occasionally, got a bit tired of all the Goodwood slagging.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:27 PM
Ian Fraser
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by roalco
Still here occasionally, got a bit tired of all the Goodwood slagging.
The slagging is frustrating I don't see the Goodwood owners slagging other areas of this forum. I now report any slagging or off topic comments to the admins. In the latest case the poster decided to edit his own post.

I also own a JCW Clubman and I imagine other Goodwood owners have other Mini's as well. Our Goodwood may only be a weekend club run car but I can tell you it gets driven as hard as any Mini on club days.

I have asked the Admins for our own section that request to date has been ignored with no response. I will ask again.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:56 PM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
As the accused "slagger" in question, I should address this promptly so that nobody goes on thinking I don't like them or their car, or worse yet, an entire group of owners as has been suggested. This is the first time I have ever been reported to an admin on any user forum in my life, so it came as quite a surprise and I take it very seriously as a member of this community.

Per my previous comments here, I love the Goodwood and almost bought one. Have you ever run your fingers through the floor mats? OMG, it's amazing! It's a friggin' Rolls-Royce...in a MINI. What's not to like? It is arguably the most collection-worthy MINI produced to date. I tried to be funny with car collectors in mind and apparently failed, perhaps because I was blissfully unaware of any sensitivity around that topic, or my lack of awareness that Goodwood owners are apparently under attack often (God only knows why).

I thought Goodwood owners, like Coupe owners I've met, often have fun with humor about their cars being museum pieces and gathering dust, much in the same way that I did when my brother asked me when the other half of my Coupe was going to show up when he first saw it, or when my niece called it a nice looking roller skate. I was wrong to assume that Goodwood owners joked about not driving them, and I know now that's not the case. I owe a sincere apology to whoever I offended if you thought I was "slagging" or trolling - I wasn't. Anyone who knows me or has read my posts here since 2003 should know otherwise, but I forgot that not everyone has seen me around so it's easy to be judged through a different lens, especially if others are mistreating Goodwood owners (I was totally unaware of anyone bad mouthing Goodwoods or their owners).

There's a guy here in New England who still has an original GP he's never driven and Im fairly certain there are similar folks who bought Goodwoods for the same purpose. I don't think that's a bad thing at all, but it will always be a topic of conversation because most people don't buy cars to park them, even though that's a perfectly valid thing to do for those who can.

So, if you were offended by my attempt at levity, I apologize. I had no idea that people were "slagging" the Goodwood on NAM but apparently they are. If they did so in this thread I missed it. I love the Goodwood and harbor no ill will of any kind toward any MINI owners, and I'm embarrassed to have to actually spell that out for anyone because I kind of thought people knew that about me and I was wrong. Motor on.

Last edited by Kurtster; 04-28-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:28 PM
Ian Fraser
3rd Gear
Kurtster

I accept that you intended no offence. I have been working at trying to build an online community of Goodwood owners and it is pretty hard to do with some of the negativity that gets posted here so yes I guess there is some sensitivity to what is seen as a negative post.

I could see the humour in what you say and I know an owner here in Australia who treats his Goodwood like a Museum piece he has done very limited kilometres in his car just enough so it wont be an issue.

So far I have found 2 other owners in Australia and I think I am up to 4 or 5 in the USA and one in Morocco which is a Reef Blue car. It would seem the Goodwood owners are a shy bunch and yes a little over the negativity from within the Mini community.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:43 AM
InMyMini
2nd Gear
I looked at getting one because they had them brand new for $39K in Chicago versus the $50K plus sticker price. Then I thought about the GP for $40K plus. Finally went JCW and doing some mods which will probably get me to $35K After driving it for the past month I can't figure why anyone would buy a car just to park it in a garage. Especially a Mini

Old 04-29-2013, 10:27 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
I was so tempted by the Goodwood my dealer had for $38k, but here in VT that beautiful interior would take a real beating in the winter. Such a nice car though and Goodwood owners should be proud not hiding! If I lived in warmer climes, I would have bought it at that discount.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:19 PM
YZZX
2nd Gear
I passed on buying a Goodwood due to no universal garage door opener. Mine doesnt have it, and it drives me absolutely crazy. But I still absolutely love the looks of them and they are definitely what I look for. Small with high end finish out.

Right before I purchased the MINI, I almost tried to import a Aston Martin Cygnet. I read an English article that referred to it as a "tarted up IQ". I still wanted one desperately. And if they do bring it into the US and sell it to people who have not purchased an Aston before, I will be in line.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:28 PM
Ian Fraser
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by InMyMini
I looked at getting one because they had them brand new for $39K in Chicago versus the $50K plus sticker price. Then I thought about the GP for $40K plus. Finally went JCW and doing some mods which will probably get me to $35K After driving it for the past month I can't figure why anyone would buy a car just to park it in a garage. Especially a Mini
If I didn't have my JCW as a daily driver it would drive me insane to leave the Goodwood under cover in the garage. It gets out at least once a month for club runs and it is pretty special to drive (if my wife lets me have a turn).

Getting in the Goodwood from the JCW is an experiance that is hard to describe. Reviewers say they drive like a Cooper S, My guess is none of them have done a back to back test. The Goodwood is a very different Mini to drive with all that thick carpet and leather the noise levels are lower in the Goodwood.

Power well Mini say they have a Cooper S tune... By the seat of the pants this car has a lot more power than our last Auto Cooper S and compared to my JCW it is not a slow car.

This weekend the Goodwood will be out on a run over a road called the Lions Rd this is an insanely good road for a Mini.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:05 AM
Ian Fraser
3rd Gear
GoBadge design for the Goodwood.

Goodwood Badge | Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7296/8747222854_e1042d4c69_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@8747222854@@AMEPARAM@@e1042d4c69
My daughter did this design for our Goodwood for a GoBadge.

Link about GoBadges: http://www.gobadges.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=354

I have submitted this design to see if they will produce it. The RR Logo might be an issue, I will wait and see what they say.

The artwork is my Daughters IP she can do them with any build number or just... 1 of 1000.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:19 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Now THAT is a gorgeous badge! That should have been part of the Goodwood package directly from MINI/Rolls. They could have tucked it into the glove box so the owners had a choice of putting it on the car or just holding onto it (kind of like the extra set of number decals that comes with the GP2).

Old 05-18-2013, 10:59 AM
roalco
1st Gear
Very nice design! Well done to your daughter, Ian, she is very talented.

Ross

Old 05-18-2013, 02:23 PM
Ian Fraser
3rd Gear
Very nice design! Well done to your daughter, Ian, she is very talented.

Ross
Thanks

She is a Graphic designer. She is at University studying Animation at the moment.

The is a JCW GP GoBadge being designed now.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:56 PM
Ian Fraser
3rd Gear
Goodwood GoBadge Final.

Attached I hope is the production version of the GoBadge.

Attached Thumbnails Mini Goodwood-4-ian-fraser.jpg  
Old 05-21-2013, 07:48 AM
roalco
1st Gear
Very nice!

Old 06-02-2013, 03:31 PM
AJBehrens
Neutral
I drive a Goodwood for my mobile business every day. Had to replace the mats with rubber ones for practicality. Love the car. My only concern is that it will turn out that the bonnet air intake really isn't optional in terms of engine longevity.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:10 PM
roalco
1st Gear
Yes, our DD has rubber mats fitted too, the lambskins are being held in reserve for really cold days... ;-).
But very much wondering why on earth you think the lack of a non-functional, plastic "hood scoop" would affect engine longevity?
They look so much more subtle with the D type bonnet.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:21 PM
AJBehrens
Neutral
Non-functional

I thought that they fed air into the intercooler. It seems that was only the first generation of Mini Cooper S. Not the second generation in my Goodwood. One less thing to worry about. I am worried about matching the paint if the body gets damaged or getting other interior parts for the car.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:56 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
But very much wondering why on earth you think the lack of a non-functional, plastic "hood scoop" would affect engine longevity?
They look so much more subtle with the D type bonnet.
Originally Posted by AJBehrens
I thought that they fed air into the intercooler. It seems that was only the first generation of Mini Cooper S. Not the second generation in my Goodwood. ...
Some will argue the scoop is functional in getting fresh air into the engine bay and heat out when the car is stopped. I would agree it is not as functional as the 1st gen with the TMIC, but it sure does help cool things down once stopped.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Ian Fraser
3rd Gear
All the hood scoop is good for is melting and drooping. Plenty of cool air gets in via the grill.

Quick Reply: R56 Mini Goodwood