R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Top down motoring tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 03:25 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seat Cooler??? Where?? Do I EVER need one of those

Old 04-05-2007, 01:41 PM
MINI ESQ
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.smarthome.com/91713.html

I ordered on Monday and it came on Tuesday! They're located in Southern California so I doubt shipping will be that fast for everyone.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:15 AM
MichelleN
2nd Gear
Convenience Opening Question

Do all verts have the convenience opening mode for using the key fob to put the sunroof/windows and then top down? I can't seem to get it to work, if this is true. I can only unlock the doors & boot. i've tried quite a few times and am guessing i just cant do it!

help!

Old 05-03-2007, 11:24 AM
MiniTron
3rd Gear
The convenience open option has to be turned on for the Cabrio. On the Hardtop it is defaulted to on. You would have to talk to your dealer.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:27 PM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Highspeed Highway mode

Just learned something else new about my ragtop!! Most of you probably know already, but for those like me who, in spite of reading the manual, didn't quite catch this...

If you hold down the button to lower the roof, and after it is down, keep pressing without letting go, the windows all start going back up!!

Kinda neat if you are preparing to go on the highway and it's below 0! It saves you all that ernormous effort of releasing, finding th window up button, and holding it down - phew!!

Old 06-21-2007, 08:22 AM
MINI ESQ
2nd Gear
Time to bring this thread back to life!

So, most of these tips relate to staying comfortable with the top down in cold weather. Other than the previously mentioned seat-cooler, what are some tips for keeping cool in the heat?

I have to admit that I put the top up while stopped in traffic on the freeway yesterday. Temperatures of 100+ are okay when you are moving, but when stopped in traffic, it becomes unbearable. I had to put the top up and turn on the air. As soon as traffic started moving again, I went into sunroof/window mode, and fully open when I got off the freeway.

But I feel so embarrased when I have to put the top up because of the heat. And it is only June! It's only going to get worse in the San Fernando Valley.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:40 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Don't feel bad. Last week I got stuck in a Freeway traffic jam cause by a wreck. I had the top down & it took 25 minutes to go 2 miles while the MINI was showing a temp of 102° Yet the raffic would never come to a stop for more than a sec so I couldn't raise my top. I was running the A/C on high but with that stupid useless top dash vent it didn't help at all . I have never been so glad to get off a highway & put my top up

Old 06-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Jughead
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI ESQ
http://www.smarthome.com/91713.html

I ordered on Monday and it came on Tuesday! They're located in Southern California so I doubt shipping will be that fast for everyone.
How do you like it so far?

Old 06-21-2007, 11:21 AM
MINI ESQ
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jughead
How do you like it so far?
When I first got it, I put it in, but quickly took it out. It seemed to work okay, but it raised me up in the seat and moved me forward too far. I'm not saying that it was uncomfortable, just that I'd prefer my normal seat position.

But it's getting so hot that I will put it back on soon. I'll get a review up when I'd had more time with it.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:10 PM
MINInurse
Nationally Known Nurse
Please do post a review. We have had the same problem with our heated seats we got for Soulfire, and Jay can't use them because it raises him too high, but as for me I liked them, so to have cooling ones for Cecilia?! I'm interested in hearing about them!

Old 06-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Sidewalker
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI ESQ
Time to bring this thread back to life!

So, most of these tips relate to staying comfortable with the top down in cold weather. Other than the previously mentioned seat-cooler, what are some tips for keeping cool in the heat?
Yes! Any tips??? I live in TX and as some of you know, TX summers are BRUTAL. I love getting the sun with the top down, but even at 80mph, in TX, when it's 102 out with 90% humidity, it's going to be miserable. I've tried the a/c on full on my feet, but that only does so much...any other ideas?

I'm probably just going to have to roll top-up most days this summer, and I hate the idea.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:57 AM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Sidewalker
Yes! Any tips??? I live in TX and as some of you know, TX summers are BRUTAL. I love getting the sun with the top down, but even at 80mph, in TX, when it's 102 out with 90% humidity, it's going to be miserable. I've tried the a/c on full on my feet, but that only does so much...any other ideas?

I'm probably just going to have to roll top-up most days this summer, and I hate the idea.
Tips? How about - transport yourself in your mind to Connecticut in February...and think about how many layers of lined mittens, scarves, blankets, earmuffs, plus heated seats and heat turned on full, it requires to be topdown in 16 degree weather, or how fast you have to drive to stay dry in a permanantly rainy place like Rochester or Seattle...

Boy - everything is relative - I STILL need jacket and gloves (though no more scarf and earmuffs) in the evenings and early mornings here.

It has to be very hot and humid for me to put top up - but how ironic to need to do that in the summer!

Good luck to you!

Old 06-23-2007, 12:00 PM
MINI ESQ
2nd Gear
Well, I'd personally take the cold weather. As you described, you can bundle up very nicely in order to deal with 16 degree temperatures. It won't be perfect, but it is doable.

I think the top down motoring skills of those of us in the south greatly exceed those in the north. There's nothing we can do to battle the 116 degree temperatures while open motoring. There's no corollary to bundling up; even driving around in the nude in 116 temperatures is going to be unpleasant, especially with all the looks. YIKES.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:28 PM
eager2own
6th Gear
^ Plus I stick to the leather evertyime I do it.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:54 PM
jody
2nd Gear
Drive naked......I do...lol

Old 07-08-2007, 08:52 PM
2phun
4th Gear
Driving naked leads to some pretty funky tan lines from the seatbelts. I wonder if people think I'm a lifeguard.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:44 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sidewalker
I would think the 90% humidity cuts the intensity of the sun a bit. Why not talk to the folks from Phoenix or Las Vegas. I think they have the biggest challenge, actually being the egg frying on the pavement.

In New Mexico I do well up to and beyond 100 degrees. Don't do it all day though. On day long drives I just put the top up for an hour or two at mid-day to recooperate.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:53 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few weeks ago, GSM had a ride from Denham Springs to McComb, MS, about 2 1/2 hours+/-. I was the only one with my top down. Temp said 90, but we were moving good and it felt good. I had a water bottle in the cup holder, but after awhile it wasn't cool anymore. About 11:30, I began to feel queasy. It was another 20 minutes before I could put the top up. When we arrived at our destination, I was still queasy and feeling weak! Patrice (bless you) gave me a COLD water, which revived me enough to enjoy lunch, but later when I got home, I still felt bad. This continued for the next TWO DAYS (pretty severe dehydration). Moral, if I am are going to drive top down in intense heat, I will drink cold water constantly (means carrying an ice chest). With the breeze drying me off all the time, I didn't realize that I was sweating so much.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:54 AM
zzMini
3rd Gear
Just pop a spare water in the glove box and turn the AC on!
I know - that's terribly wasteful, and it won't keep it super cool anyway. Small coller is much better idea, and greener.
I wonder how badly it worstens our mileage to have top down, AND a/c going! Even if you close off all vents except to glove box, I'm sure it's bad.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:27 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Originally Posted by davavd
Moral, if I am are going to drive top down in intense heat, I will drink cold water constantly (means carrying an ice chest). With the breeze drying me off all the time, I didn't realize that I was sweating so much.
Ooops! Yes, dehydration happens fast in a convertible. People get dehydrated all the time visiting New Mexico because the low humidity makes them unaware that they are sweating. The breeze in the convertible does the same thing. I do drink constantly in hot weather with the top down.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:34 AM
rc'S
5th Gear
Good advice on hot weather driving with the top down and the need for water. Never entered my mind. Thanks all!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:35 PM
toomuchfun
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by davavd
Moral, if I am are going to drive top down in intense heat, I will drink cold water constantly (means carrying an ice chest). With the breeze drying me off all the time, I didn't realize that I was sweating so much.
Ooo, Davavd that's a good point. I'm doing a run with people from nemini.org down the NJ shore, and if it's bright and sunny and hot, me and my passengers could get really dehydrated if we do the whole shore run with the top down.

Must pack: cooler of ice and lots of water!

Old 07-18-2007, 07:05 AM
MiniBigMe
Neutral
I'm a new owner with a question I couldn't find by searching. I've seen some threads about cleaning the top and putting conditioner on it to keep the water beading. Well, one poster mentioned they rinse the top off well, with water only, every week and put the conditioner on periodically. My question is about rinsing off the top. Do you use just a hose? Or do you put a regular garden spray nozzle on it to increase the presure?

This is the first car I've purchased for over $17k. I went way past it, so I want to keep my Mini looking good.

Thanks

Old 10-18-2007, 07:37 PM
gaminis
3rd Gear
Cleaning Cabrio Top

Seems everybody has his/her own theory about how to clean their convertible top. I've had several convertibles...I hose the top first, removing most of the dirt/dust ; then soap it with a wash mitt and regular car detergent...then hose off the soap. I don't dry the fabric..I let it air dry. About every six months, I treat it with 303 Protectant. If you keep your Mini garaged when not in use, you probably could treat it every year or so and be safe.
Don't lower your top until it's totally dry!
Just my opinion....

gaminis

Old 11-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Papa Bdog
2nd Gear
My mini vac does a good job...

Quick Reply: R52 Top down motoring tips