R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 clutch pedal sometimes goes to floor

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 03:32 PM
drrigg
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch pedal sometimes goes to floor

I replaced the clutch slave and master cylinders about three months ago on my '04 R53 and bled the system according to the instructions. Everything worked beautifully until about two weeks ago when the master cylinder started making the same kind of crunching sound it made just before the slave cylinder blew. Now, the last three mornings, when I start the car the pedal goes all the way to the floor and has to be manually lifted back up and then the system pumped up before I am able to shift. This only happens in the morning and sitting 9-10 hours at work doesn't seem to cause the problem. This morning I had the slight smell of brake fluid in the car. I bought the system from Pelican Parts and can't believe the master cylinder is going bad already. Is this a common problem? Are there other parts I should have changed along with the slave and master cylinders?

Old 09-28-2015, 04:35 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Hello! I'm very sorry to hear about your issue and I apologize for the experience. Pelican Parts guarantees the workmanship of the products sold. If you have received a defective product, please review the manufacturer information included with the product. If you wish to return it, please contact our Customer Support Department at (888) 280-7799 or you can contact us HERE. Please let me know if you have any questions.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
The following users liked this post:
Here2Go (05-27-2022)
Old 09-30-2015, 04:05 PM
ItzNeil
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Props to PP for being so on top of this.

I know where I'll order my next parts!

Old 09-30-2015, 06:38 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
FWIW, I've been a long time buyer from Pelican, and while I haven't had to return anything - their customer service call group is always outstanding - even for a Canadian like me.

Keep up the great work Pelican, and good luck with the repair!

Old 11-01-2015, 04:06 PM
drrigg
1st Gear
I don't know that the part is defective. At 5:00am when I go to work the car has been sitting out all night in 40-50 degrees and the clutch pedal pushes to the floor and the clutch drags and I have to pump the pedal a couple of times to get it to work and I hear the squeeking and crunching of what sounds like a spring every time I push the clutch all the way to work. Come out of work at 15:00 and the car has been sitting in a hot parking lot all day and the clutch is perfect and silent. Do I need to rebleed the system? The old master cylinder made the same noise before the slave cylinder blew out but it made the noise every time it was used.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:12 PM
drrigg
1st Gear
In another thread the OP referred to it as a "grunch" sound and one of the responses referenced the throwout bearing. Does that sound reasonable from my description? And I too want to thank Pelican Parts for their quick response to my original post. Their "how to" instructions have encouraged me to spend more time under my car doing repairs that I don't think I would tackle without their instruction.

Old 05-27-2022, 03:31 AM
JasonJasonJason
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this is old but......

[I have had a similar issue where the slave cylinder leaks even after replacement.
what occurred for me was.....
The clutch plate and flywheel were fine. The thrust bearing had mostly decintergrated so the slave keeps pushing until the slave piston reaches the max and the fluid leaks.
The thrust heist bearing also damaged the sleeve it sits on. The other issue could be the fins of the pressure plate have lost their spring so the slave cylinder still has to push too far

QUOTE=drrigg;4128583]I replaced the clutch slave and master cylinders about three months ago on my '04 R53 and bled the system according to the instructions. Everything worked beautifully until about two weeks ago when the master cylinder started making the same kind of crunching sound it made just before the slave cylinder blew. Now, the last three mornings, when I start the car the pedal goes all the way to the floor and has to be manually lifted back up and then the system pumped up before I am able to shift. This only happens in the morning and sitting 9-10 hours at work doesn't seem to cause the problem. This morning I had the slight smell of brake fluid in the car. I bought the system from Pelican Parts and can't believe the master cylinder is going bad already. Is this a common problem? Are there other parts I should have changed along with the slave and master cylinders?[/QUOTE]