R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 02/2002 suspension help PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 04:50 PM
Ducati Pilot
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02/2002 suspension help PLEASE!

My 02/2002 R50 will be getting more suspension, and I need to upgrade the struts. I know the mounting point for the swaybar is different, and you can see on the pix of the early non-sport struts there is no tab for the swaybar links. I've heard Mini upgraded the suspension on the early build cars after customer complaints, and I do have the swaybar mounts on my struts. Does that mean I can simply buy the struts for the 03/2002 (and up) build cars or are there other differences? Lower strut carrier/hubs, spring mounts, etc? Any info would be really helpful.
I'm going to buy struts and Sport springs.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:37 PM
Milpol
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your pre 03/2002 your front suspension is different.

You will need new shock tower mounts, matching springs, bump stop, spring pads, droplinks for the sway bar and of course, shocks.

I just installed a set of megan coilovers and only had to buy new droplinks, it worked out cheaper than sourcing all the other components plus the coilovers have their own shock tower mounts built in and should help prevent mushrooming.

Mine is a pre 03/2002 Cooper.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:32 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Most the parts for the pre 02 cars are no longer available. So it is best even if you could find them to upgrade to the newer strut mounts and endlinks.
I would suggest just getting the Koni FSDs since they are on sale, the new front upper strut mounts, and new end links. Then when you order that I can pull the front spring perches, rubbers, and all the other little parts you need from a parts car here and make you a good deal on all that you will need to convert. That way down the road if you ever need to replace anything the parts will be ready available.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-26-2015, 09:01 PM
Milpol
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Most the parts for the pre 02 cars are no longer available. So it is best even if you could find them to upgrade to the newer strut mounts and endlinks.
I would suggest just getting the Koni FSDs since they are on sale, the new front upper strut mounts, and new end links. Then when you order that I can pull the front spring perches, rubbers, and all the other little parts you need from a parts car here and make you a good deal on all that you will need to convert. That way down the road if you ever need to replace anything the parts will be ready available.

Sounds like a good plan to me and could be cheaper than coil overs ! worth pursuing IMO.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:37 PM
Ducati Pilot
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I definitely do not want the FSD's. Your approach sounds good though. I would ideally like the Bilstein Sports (B8's, not the regular HD's) with Eibach or H&R Sport springs. What could you do for a start to finish kit, using good serviceable used parts for the conversion as you suggested? Thanks again for the response!