Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

"The Curse" rides again!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 05:23 PM
RiverCityRocker
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"The Curse" rides again!

I don't know if you remember, but about 7 months ago I bought the MINI from hell. Three days after I bought it I had to put in a new tranny and clutch. Same day it came back from the shop the S/C PTO gears took a crap and the waterpump died on me...

Anyway, rather than throw more money on a new S/C and pump I decided to go with the Davies/Craig EWP80 electric pump.

It was summertime so I put the project on the back burner. Working in the driveway when it's 103º isn't fun. So last month I started the project, ran into some snags here and there. I finally got the pump installed and running, put her back together, bled the cooling system, added some coolant.

Took her out for about an hour riding through the neighborhood for awhile, hit some 5 o'clock traffic pockets so I could test it at idling in traffic and miracle of miracles it never broke the 1/2 way mark on the temperature gauge.

So for now, The Curse is back on the road and seems to be acting like a lady instead of the ***** that she was 7 months ago.

Ironically, I'm taking my motorcycle out to cruise the town tonight instead of the MINI.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:44 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I remember, hopefully your luck has changed.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:08 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Grats! Please post pics of the install if you have any. EWP is the good hobo route to take for charger-pump gear failure. I've 1 in storage somewhere which I really won't mind having no use for.�� Wish some1 can come up w/ a bolt on kit.
Best way to monitor coolant temp is thru the OBD(ie, Bluetooth ELM, Scangauage2, ultragauge).
You wired it using the Sprintex guide?

Old 12-08-2014, 10:12 AM
RiverCityRocker
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minsanity
Grats! Please post pics of the install if you have any. EWP is the good hobo route to take for charger-pump gear failure. I've 1 in storage somewhere which I really won't mind having no use for.�� Wish some1 can come up w/ a bolt on kit.
Best way to monitor coolant temp is thru the OBD(ie, Bluetooth ELM, Scangauage2, ultragauge).
You wired it using the Sprintex guide?
I didn't get any pics, It was a drawn out process. Using the stock hoses was a PITA so I ended up using flexible hose which really helped. Basically I had a friend weld some aluminum tubing to the flange and for the thermostat hose I used a copper 1"X1"X3/4" T and I sweated a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer into it. The pump is under the airbox. It's about the only place I could get it to fit.

I couldn't get the pump to run using the Sprintex method so in the end after messing with it for a few days I just put it on a switch. Not ideal, but it works. I'm thinking about swapping the steel toggle switch for a lighted one though. I don't want to forget to turn it on and off.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:31 AM
RiverCityRocker
2nd Gear
The car has been good for the last week, but I was just on my way somewhere and one of the coolant system hoses broke. It's a "T" that's clamped into a hose runs to the t-stat and overflow tank. Luckily I pulled over next to a fire station when I saw it redlining. I located the leak and the EMS guys gave me some "head tape" (the stuff they use to strap people's heads down when they're on the board) and I taped it up. It was good enough to get me home.

Pretty easy to get to, BUT those stupid clamps where a PITA *** to get off. Took me the better part of two hours to remove, but only about 5 minutes to put back on. Of course I replace the hose clamps with the normal screw-drive ones.

The best part was that the "T" only cost me $3.06. It must be a freaking X-Mas miracle. The cheapest and most accessible part in the whole coolant system was the problem. No major parts removal or outlay of cash. Thank you Jebus.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:15 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
glad you got the E water pump going and its been working for the most part. eventually I may go down this route.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:17 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I got an EWP ready somewhere in storage sometime back. It's gonna be reversible anyway....Hobo, too,