Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio OEM backup camera I DID IT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 02:35 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
It took a long time, but I finally installed on-demand viewing for my rear view camera. I am using the MFSW relay from MikeyTheMINI. The relay allows the unused phone button on the steering wheel to be used as an on-off switch, and I have hooked it up for on-demand viewing. It is expensive compared to installing a simple toggle switch, but it is undeniably cool to have fingertip control on the steering wheel. There is some discussion about the relay here: http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107982

Old 03-21-2006, 04:04 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's sweet!

I personaly have no interest in manually turning my rear view camera on without being in reverse. However, it would be a really nice way to switch my setup between nav and video mode. Currently, my switch is located in the glove box. Putting it on one of the unused phone buttons on the MFSW would be a hoot!

Thanks for sharing.

-- MIKE

Old 03-21-2006, 06:57 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
I expect to use on-demand viewing only rarely, but it does have some usefulness to help check the rear scene in a convertible.

Another way to implement a switch (which I also considered) is from the toggle panel. You can use the garage door opener feature of a windows-up module (Ian Cull's, or MCAW which also has an aux output feature) and have it trip a relay. Using a button on the steering wheel is way more impressive though.

Old 04-09-2006, 05:50 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pappde
Hi here is the link to the UK seller: NewMiniStuff.com
Denes
Thanks for the info!

Old 04-09-2006, 05:53 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Front Camera?

Looking at the product offering on NewMINIStuff.com, they offer a front camera option as well.
What's the point of that?

Old 04-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by lhoboy
Looking at the product offering on NewMINIStuff.com, they offer a front camera option as well.
What's the point of that?
lhoboy... the cameras in question (both front and rear) are actually official OEM retrofit cameras for the factory Nav system, but they are not currently available in the US unless you order from an international vendor such as NewMINIStuff.

The front camera is actually a prism "split" camera, which looks to the left and right at 90 degree angles. The concept is that when you are at an intersection where can't really see the cross traffic well, thanks to parked cars right near the curb, or that enormous SUV sitting next to you blocking your view... you just pull the very front of your nose out into the intersection, and the cameras there will show you the traffic in both directions on the Nav screen.

The cameras are very expensive retrofit options, but I am one of the people who wants them badly and I plan on buying them at some point, especially if I can find a vendor with better prices (although I may eventually just break down and get them from NewMINIStuff anyway heh).

Here's a link to the original news item on it at MotoringFile, which includes a sample picture of what the front camera does.

MotoringFile - The MINI On Board Camera System

Last edited by Edge; 04-10-2006 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Grammar correction
Old 04-10-2006, 08:16 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
The front camera is actually a prism "split" camera, which looks to the left and right at 90 degree angles. The concept is that when you are at an intersection where can't really see the cross traffic... you just pull the very front of your nose out into the intersection, and the cameras there will show you the traffic in both directions on the Nav screen.
Now that does make a lot of sense. Keep us posted if you find a good (less expensive) source. Now you've got me wanting one.

Old 05-27-2006, 11:11 PM
acitydweller
6th Gear
This is such an amazing mod for the verts.

Old 05-28-2006, 05:01 PM
Peepers
2nd Gear
MFSW Relay - NAV to DVD?

Hey, I was reading this post and I like the backup camera idea, but I don't think I'll ever use it. However it had me thinking ..... Could one install the MFSW relay and hook up a DVD player and switch between NAV and DVD?

Has anyone done this? Does anyone have any step by step instructions?

Old 05-28-2006, 11:34 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
To play DVDs, you need to add a video input box for the Nav. There is one from MINI (which the rear camera uses) and aftermarket units. For DVD, the aftermarket versions would be more plug-and-play and easier to install. See this thread for more information: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=44889

The MFSW relay simply provides function like a generic toggle or rocker switch (it makes and breaks a connection). It just happens to be conveniently operated from the steering wheel.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:14 AM
XSIV SUN
2nd Gear
For those without Nav...but want a rearview camera

Originally Posted by DrDiff
I to would be interested but forgot to order one crucial element. Didn't get Factory NAV.
I totally agree with the need for a back-up camera...and being able to use it at times when not in reverse makes sense too. But I don't have Nav, either. There is a cheaper and even easier solution that I found at Costco. They offer a wireless back-up camera that eliminates the need to run wires from the back camera to the front viewing screen It comes with it's own 4.5" LCD screen that can be mounted in the visor or in several other owner-selected areas.

Best yet, it only costs $179 and it only took me about an hour to install in my Mom's Camery. I'm planning on installing one in my MCS Cab shortly, and appreciate all the ideas for how to switch it on remotely (otherwise, it switches on automatically when you switch into reverse).

As with everything Costco sells, you never know how long they'll have this in stock...but it's been there since x-mas. I'll let you know when I get mine up and running.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:53 AM
MiniDaMoocher
4th Gear
Did you install this yet? I'd be interested to know what you think of it and where you mounted the screen. I just bought one of these from Costco, but it was only $70.

Anyone have idea's for the screen? It needs to be hidden from peering eyes to placate my paranoia. I guess I'm leaning towards the space under the toggles, but am open to other (better) idea's.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:55 PM
XSIV SUN
2nd Gear
Costco Rearview Special

Originally Posted by MiniDaMoocher
Did you install this yet? I'd be interested to know what you think of it and where you mounted the screen. I just bought one of these from Costco, but it was only $70.

Anyone have idea's for the screen? It needs to be hidden from peering eyes to placate my paranoia. I guess I'm leaning towards the space under the toggles, but am open to other (better) idea's.
I haven't had a chance to install it yet -- but I'm hoping to get in on this weekend. I agree on hiding the screen, I want to have it flip down from below the toggles when in use, then flip back up, out of sight, when not in use.

I stand corrected on the price -- I think it was $79 ~ a steal!

I'll post when completed.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:48 AM
mikeythemini
Former Vendor
We have just installed the OEM camera in a GP & wired it to a Clarion motorised screen

Attached Thumbnails OEM backup camera I DID IT!!!-img_3595.jpg   OEM backup camera I DID IT!!!-img_3601.jpg  
Old 04-02-2008, 12:56 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by XSIV SUN
I haven't had a chance to install it yet -- but I'm hoping to get in on this weekend. I agree on hiding the screen, I want to have it flip down from below the toggles when in use, then flip back up, out of sight, when not in use.

I stand corrected on the price -- I think it was $79 ~ a steal!

I'll post when completed.
FYI. When I installed a wireless back-up cam in my R56, I kept getting these constant horizontal interference lines only when the car engine was running. Some sort of alternator noise that made it's way to the reverse light wiring in the boot that I had connected the camera to. A new ground point or a noise suppressor didn't work. I ended up wiring a new power line straight from the fuse box and the lines disappeared.

I've read of a lot of people returning their wireless back-up cams because of constant interference. I bet it was due to engine/alternator noise and not outside interference as they thought. Even in New York City, my picture is very sharp and clear. Granted, the mini is a small car.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:22 AM
MiniDaMoocher
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
FYI. When I installed a wireless back-up cam in my R56, I kept getting these constant horizontal interference lines only when the car engine was running. Some sort of alternator noise that made it's way to the reverse light wiring in the boot that I had connected the camera to. A new ground point or a noise suppressor didn't work. I ended up wiring a new power line straight from the fuse box and the lines disappeared.

I've read of a lot of people returning their wireless back-up cams because of constant interference. I bet it was due to engine/alternator noise and not outside interference as they thought. Even in New York City, my picture is very sharp and clear. Granted, the mini is a small car.
lacning can you repost your link ?

Old 04-29-2008, 01:04 PM
MiniDaMoocher
4th Gear
I installed the Costco camera last week, but ended up returning it. Here are my thoughts about this system for anyone considering going this route. The price of the camera and monitor was only $70 which is a great price and may be worth it to some, but functionally it fell short of my minimum threshold. The image on the color monitor seemed adequate and I didn't have any problems with signal issues as some have reported.

The largest reason it didn't work for me was that the camera shoots at a 90 degree angle, which proved to be not wide enough for my purposes. I don't know that much about backup camera's but looking at them online it appears 120 degree's is pretty common. After looking at this one I can state for fact that 90 degrees wasn't close to cutting it for me.

There was often a delay between when the camera was powered (per the instructions by putting the car in reverse) and when the monitor showed the image. This probably wouldn't have been an issue if I owned an automatic, but was a pain with my standard transmission. If I were to keep the camera, I would have wired it to a switch so that I could flip it on when I wanted it on. For some reason the delay seemed to be greater if the car was in the sun. In a parking garage it was much quicker the few times I tried it.

Another nagging issue was there was no good location to mount the monitor. I ended up installing this one with Velcro in the slanted portion of the glove compartment door such that when the door was opened it faced up and out. This was a pretty good location because the monitor was mostly in shadow which helped with being able to see it in the sun, and easily stored out of the way. If I kept this one I probably would have wired it to the power switch on the glove box. In fact now that I think about it, that would have been a good source for powering the camera as well.

One final note, unlike some other camera's which are small and can be hidden pretty well in the boot handle, due to the wireless nature of this camera I could not find a good way to hide it. I ended up installing the camera above my license plate and below the boot handle which was less than ideal, but worked for the short time I had it.