Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Brad Bedell
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've seen evidence both ways. I tend to believe the FSC activation.

One thing is for sure, I've not coded my bluetooth module. The navigation unit has a microphone wire setup on pin 1 & 6(if I'm not mistaken, it's been a few weeks since I last looked). The voice commands on the normal radio went through the bluetooth module first. It's possible that I don't have something hooked up yet, but I've been unable to confirm one way or the other. Either way, the system works as intended. my next 'upgrade' will be the hi-def radio. I've just had other projects that have kept me busy.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Smoothmove
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I am currently attempting this in a 2013 Mini Clubman with the factory cd boost with sat radio and Bluetooth. Was going to put a Double DIN radio in but liked the Mini Connected look and feel.

I gathered a

a 2012 CCC - Visual boost radio $200 ebay
a 2013 Speedo with screen $125 ebay
a 2013 center console with controls $250 ebay

I ordered the cable that connects the screen to the CCC. WARNING- You need the VIN number for ordering the correct cable- Found out the hard way 4/9/2014

I will take pics and see if it is any easier than the 2009 model. Pics are of the 2013 Speedo and the 2010 speedo. They match and everything works

The last pic is of the 2012 Visual Boost Radio rear connection.

Attached Thumbnails OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-img_0367.jpg   OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-img_0371.jpg   OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-img_0380.jpg  

Last edited by Smoothmove; 05-09-2014 at 12:38 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-07-2014, 01:04 PM
Smoothmove
2nd Gear
One pic of the OEM stereo wiring harness of the Mini Boost CD with Sirius and Bluetooth.

I am going to find out and take pics of where to add wires if needed.

I am trying to find out how to adapt the wired that I have that are different than the red, yellow and gold connectors.

I am searching for a schematic of what is what.

Also, there is a 2gb MicroSD card in the front- bottom (under the volume ****) of the radio. There is only a 5mb file on it. It has voice prompts and files. I am going to try to find a "NAV" ssd card and see if it is different.

Attached Thumbnails OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-img_0364.jpg   OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-img_0385.jpg   OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-img_0386.jpg  

Last edited by Smoothmove; 05-07-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:40 PM
Brad Bedell
2nd Gear
If anyone can update the photos, mine were eaten. I can't find my backup. I used realoem for the diagrams, but '13 might be more tricky.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:57 AM
Smoothmove
2nd Gear
Here are pics of the joystick with the 4 pin connectors that Brad wrote of on page 1.

Included is the pic of a 2013 Mini Nav screen connections. According to Mini parts, the cable I bought should be correct and is readily available.

I hope this goes smooth. I think I will have to go to Mini to have them recode the car for the visual boost.

I wonder if Wade is still at Mini of Dallas.

Attached Thumbnails OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-img_0391.jpg   OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-img_0392.jpg   OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-img_0395.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
justawatcher (10-28-2018)
Old 05-09-2014, 06:11 AM
Smoothmove
2nd Gear
Joystick Wiring

Look at the connection for the joystick. Looks a lot like a DELL Computer fan connection. Pins are spaced the correct distance. Just modify the 5 pin to a 4 pin and it should fit.

Mini part number unknown. Dell computer fan $5.

One more obstacle down. I am going to Mini today for more info. I want to get this completed in the next week. I don't like my dash apart.

Attached Thumbnails OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-img_0137.jpg  
Old 05-09-2014, 06:43 AM
Brad Bedell
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Smoothmove
I wonder if Wade is still at Mini of Dallas.
I'm not sure, since I parted ways with my JCW, I've not been back. This was his email: CowserW@autonation.com

Old 05-11-2014, 05:18 AM
Smoothmove
2nd Gear
I found some wiring details which seems to be correct for the radio harness.

Can low and Can high, + and - are there for hookup of the joystick. I am trying to find out what pins go where.

On the monitor screen, there are 8 pins, but I have no idea what they do. Probably going to have to pull it apart and use a multimeter.

Attached Thumbnails OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-radiorelocatewiring.jpg   OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-pin-outs_small.jpg  
Old 05-11-2014, 01:27 PM
everywill
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Brad Bedell

Hi, I'm also planning to do a same project to my 09 R56. The biggest question that confusing me is that if the CCC unit store VIN or other car-specific information which need to be activated by FSC?

Or the only coding I need to do is to add VO and reset related modules?

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2014, 04:34 AM
Smoothmove
2nd Gear
Once I figure out all of the wiring, I will let you know if it is plug and play(ish).

Mini sells the joystick wiring connector and the four pins- total was $25

As for the monitor cable, there are dozens of changes and different cables for the different screens.

I haven't got the screen wiring nailed down, so I have no idea what messages it is throwing.

The Mini dealers will be less than helpful. The parts dept doesn't have access to a lot of info and the techs are just busy doing part swaps. As for mods, you have to find a "Mini" guy who actually loves the cars.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:08 AM
Smoothmove
2nd Gear
As per the Bentley manual

Joystick wiring is

Pin 1 to Positive to 10 amp fuse (F23)
Pin 2 to Neg/ground
Pin 3 to Can High splice to radio pin 11 Orangeish
Pin 4 to Can low splice to radio pin 9 Green

The CID- dash display has 8 pins, 4 of which are used. The Bentley's manual lists the old style monitor - pre 2011

The 8 pin connector is the same as the connector for the sport button.

I think I nailed the wiring for the monitor.

Pin 1 to radio pos
pin 3 to radio ground
Pin 5 to can bus high
Pin 6 to can bus low

When I hook it up I get the screen and it blinks if pin 4 and 5 are reversed. The screen is red when radio on. The joystick lights up with parking lights, but doesn't control anything.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Last edited by Smoothmove; 06-02-2014 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Updates
Old 05-20-2014, 05:12 PM
Smoothmove
2nd Gear
Scored pictures of a factory connectors and wiring for a 2011-2014 R5x-R60 series Mini CID screen

Now have to decide if I am going to code the car myself or take it to the dealer.

Attached Thumbnails OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-photo-1.jpg   OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-photo-2.jpg   OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-photo-3.jpg  
Old 05-28-2014, 05:45 PM
Smoothmove
2nd Gear
OK, more progress. I bought a dash harness and reverse engineered it. Got the wiring nailed down and good. I have not coded the car yet.

I got it to work !!! The Mini Visual Boost comes up, joystick works and the car communicates with the radio and reads all info.

OBSERVATIONS:

BLUETOOTH DOES NOT WORK, I don't know if the module needs to be recoded

USB does not work, doesn't recognize iphone or charge

AM/FM works Fine

Satellite Radio does not read an ESN for the radio -- ?????

Steering wheel controls WORK Fine

CD Works Fine

If anyone would know, please chime in.

ALSO. Does anyone know what the "UNKNOWNs" are on the rear of the radio would connect to? PIC included

Thanks, Stan

Attached Thumbnails OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-92442d1399492901-oem-navigation-upgrade-hopefully-a-how-to-guide-img_0385.jpg   OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-92443d1399492901-oem-navigation-upgrade-hopefully-a-how-to-guide-img_0386.jpg  

Last edited by Smoothmove; 05-28-2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-29-2014, 09:56 AM
Thompyt
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It looks like the right mini coaxial connecter would be used for the GPS puck to connect to. I can't tell but it should be a screw on type. The other coaxial push on adapter, maybe for the Sirus/XM?

Electronic Serial Number (ESN) Is there an additional module for Sat Radio? Perhaps that left side co-ax is the cabeling between the screen and the sat radio box.

USB inop- You have the correct cable? Is the soft/firmware up to date? maybe when the system gets coded into the Mini it will work?

Old 05-29-2014, 10:21 AM
Smoothmove
2nd Gear
Update: From what I figured out

I think the beige connector is the nav/gps antenna?

There are also two fiber optic cables leading from the radio which I have no idea what it goes to.

Questions:

Does the 2013 /2012 R5x have a Bluetooth module or is it built in the radio?

The USB on the Visual Boost radio will not read, even when using the factory lines. I think it may be programming.

I have yet to code it. I have a call to a BMW/MINI shop that may help with the coding. I don't know of anyone else local

Old 05-29-2014, 10:21 AM
Smoothmove
2nd Gear
forgot to add the pic

Attached Thumbnails OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-mini-2013-radio.jpg  
Old 05-29-2014, 10:36 AM
Thompyt
1st Gear
Looking at color coding, the GPS puck would be on the pink connector. maybe there is a USB conenction between the display and the radio?

If you got a Visual Boost radio, then there is no navigation. I am thinking. Are you trying for Navigation or just the display?

Last edited by Thompyt; 05-29-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:35 PM
Smoothmove
2nd Gear
I figured out the radio connectors minus the one. Here is a comparison of the original 2013 Boost CD radio from my car and a 2013 Mini NAV radio. Third radio is a 2011 with Visual Boost.

The radio itself is the same. Same Manufacturer- Alpine. Just a software patch to activate the nav. I don't want the nav, just Mini Visual Boost with Connected.

The connectors pink, black and white are self explanatory.

Attached Thumbnails OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-img_0358.jpg   OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-2011-mini-nav-radio.jpg  
Old 05-29-2014, 01:40 PM
Thompyt
1st Gear
I was looking at the radio fronts in the fiche. The difference is the wording Visual Boost and Navigation. I couldn't see the back connectors. Software patch for NAV? Interesting. Seems there is only a 2-300 difference between them for cost (new). Only....

It appears the radio comes with a bluetooth module in it. So there might be a link missing between the radio/screen/mic. Maybe the last connection is the microphone?

Thanks

Now to cheaply find some parts myself. Ebay isn't too conducive.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:40 PM
Smoothmove
2nd Gear
Proof.

Attached Thumbnails OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-img_0798.jpg  
Old 05-29-2014, 02:02 PM
Thompyt
1st Gear
What was done to get it up and running? Or you still have to program it?

WRITE UP!!!!!! And stickey

Old 05-29-2014, 02:34 PM
Smoothmove
2nd Gear
The Bluetooth, Sat Radio and USB are not functional yet and will need to be coded.

I did not program anything yet. I am looking for someone to code it for me, even remotely.

When I wired it up and got everything right, it WORKED.

Anyone who is very good at coding out there?

Old 05-30-2014, 05:05 PM
Smoothmove
2nd Gear
Took it to Mini of Plano to try to get it coded by the Mini dealer. They say ok but it is $150- DEAL.

The tech hooks up my car but is unable to recode the modules / Visual Boost Radio to a different VIN (between Radio and Car). He had shown me that the option is "greyed" out and not an option using his software. He wasn't using NCS.

I may have someone who can code it remotely and if successful, I will post it.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:00 PM
Thompyt
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Smoothmove
Took it to Mini of Plano to try to get it coded by the Mini dealer. They say ok but it is $150- DEAL.

The tech hooks up my car but is unable to recode the modules / Visual Boost Radio to a different VIN (between Radio and Car). He had shown me that the option is "greyed" out and not an option using his software. He wasn't using NCS.

I may have someone who can code it remotely and if successful, I will post it.
I almost bought a silver white coupe from them last month. Found a better deal elsewhere.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:14 AM
Smoothmove
2nd Gear
Here are the packs from the Connector/PINS that connect to the dash screen. These are only the power and CIC wires- Can Bus High and LOW.

Total was $16 for the plastic connector and pins.

Attached Thumbnails OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.-scan0005.jpg  

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.