Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Want to upgrade from Hi-Fi to Harman Kardon

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 07:20 AM
clutchless
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ECS tuning is another source for OEM parts. http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2008-C...M_Parts_Index/

Old 12-15-2010, 06:48 PM
Yzo
2nd Gear
With thanks to this thread for the proper part numbers, I've been slowly swapping in the H/Ks for the original HiFi speakers as the parts come in.

I did the front A-pillars first. I was worried that the pillars I ordered were going to be beige in color due to the 2011s using this color now if you don't order the headliner in black, and I clearly wasn't thinking it through. Needlessly to say, they are a perfect match color-wise. After installation I was able to notice a small improvement overall even with this one singular change, but my test audio track in this case contains oboes and a string section which would tend to highlight the tweets I would think.

I did the rear 6x9s and tweets the next day. I was able to get the rear trim removed without breaking any clips, thanks in part to the forum members who went before me and the BMW TIS DVD I obtained about a year ago that finally came in handy. Post-install, there is definitely a perceived improvement.

I'm still waiting on the woofers and mids for the doors to come in.

As an aside, running the TIS software on a PC, which you then RDP to from an iPad makes for one very slick, if expensive, electronic shop manual.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:57 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Yzo
As an aside, running the TIS software on a PC, which you then RDP to from an iPad makes for one very slick, if expensive, electronic shop manual.
I got a little netbook for this purpose…. of course there's no CD drive, so I use a virtual CD-ROM program to mount an image of the TIS disk, but it works fairly well.

The USB is handy, though… I also use it with the Bavarian Technic tool, and to update my radar detector.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:31 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fishbert
I got a little netbook for this purpose…. of course there's no CD drive, so I use a virtual CD-ROM program to mount an image of the TIS disk, but it works fairly well.

The USB is handy, though… I also use it with the Bavarian Technic tool, and to update my radar detector.
You can install the TIS and have it run from the hard drive. No need for a virtual CDROM.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:23 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
You can install the TIS and have it run from the hard drive. No need for a virtual CDROM.
Really? I didn't see that option… I'll have to take another look, maybe.
Also, I loved you in Goodwill Hunting.

Last edited by fishbert; 12-15-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:21 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Really? I didn't see that option… I'll have to take another look, maybe.
Also, I loved you in Goodwill Hunting.
Run the Sysadmin program. Click on TIS and pick install.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:08 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Okay I have some technical information for those swapping amplifiers! I was able to get my hands on a 2010 with the HK and was able to look at the coding information.

If you have swapped your amp you should keep your original amp and reinstall it before you go to the dealer as the different amp will confuse their software and cause the programming software to stop because the HIFI amp is missing.

I highly recommend that if you have access to NCS expert (see my thread about closing the sunroof and windows with the FOB) you can update your Vehicle Order to "officially" retrofit the HK amp (by removing the option code for the HIFI and adding the HK, refered to as "branded HIFI" option code)

Upon doing this, you can reset your radio module which will load the HK amp volume settings and DSP settings. However, I can bet that if your car has not had all of the modules updated (all modules update by default when the dealer connects the car to ISTA/P, which means your radio will have the latest firmware which includes the profile for the "branded HIFI amp") in the past year or so you will not have the head unit profile for the HK amp. But if your car has been recently updated the head unit will automaticly set it self up for the HK amp.

And since I was able to compare line-by-line with the HK vs my HIFI there are two settings including the volume profile and filter profile that get changed.

If you do get the Vehicle Order updated the dealer will have no trouble connecting your car to ISTA/P and if there is an update for the amp, that will install just fine as well.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:50 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG !!!
strobeyprobey for president!

seriously, you just showed me there may be light at the end of this $600 tunnel I dug by buying that HK brick... I mean, amp.

-------

EDIT:

In that thread you reference, you say:
Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
SSS/Program is the programing coding software that would work with our cars up until software releases late in 2008. But if your car has been to the dealer since then for any updates you are SOL, trust me I thought I could do it but was unsuccessful .
My car was built in Jan 2009.
What does the above mean for me (in terms of the HK amp, but also in terms of any of the other cool programming stuff that fancy $120 cable opens the door to)?

Last edited by fishbert; 12-16-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:14 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
My car was built in Jan 2009.
What does the above mean for me (in terms of the HK amp, but also in terms of any of the other cool programming stuff that fancy $120 cable opens the door to)?
To answer your question directly, what I meant by that is Progman/SSS (that has now been replaced by ISTA/P) can no longer be run by you (as they release new versions of ISTA/P) because the software/firmware versions of the modules on your car are newer than what is available within Progam/SSS. If you have a really good relationship with your dealer you could talk to them to see if they will update the car for you when you bring it in for work, or try to convince them you need the new power steering update (its an all or nothing update, all of the modules get updated when connected to ISTA/P).

However, you can get around that and get acess to the latest version of ISTA/P by using minitechinfo.com and a J2534 PassThroughTool. But the J2534 interfaces are expensive, check for the thread on this board about that interface.

So what does that mean for you and your amp situation? Luckily, NOTHING!

You will still be able to connect the $120 EDIABAS cable to your car and run NCS Expert to modify your vehicle order with the HK amp. I am not sure if your 1/09 build car will have a late enough version of the firmware/software to include the HK amp settings in your head unit/radio module (There is a file I will reference later tonight that does seem to have dates that maybe I can pin point, like for example if you have had to have your car reprogrammed for malfunctioning windows in the past year you should be good).

With NCS you can do things like make your windows roll up with the fob, remove bulb checks (in case you want to go to LEDs), retrofit equipment like HID & bluetooth & IBOC (I programmed both bluetooth & iboc last week) & fogs & other modules & etc, remove the seat belt chime, remove the 37°F chime, change cluster so the speed will always show in the upper BC window (I LOVE this mod), and a few others.

Also with the $120 cable you can get DIS v57 running that contains all of the diagnostic capabilities the dealer has. It will check, reset and clear all codes and give you operating values and system messages you can't normally see (like mis-fires, low voltages, etc). Also DIS gives you the ability to turn on and off each individual system in the car, like just the radiator fan, just the blower, each solenoid in your auto tranny, each individual light bulb in the car, each speaker with a test tone. I used DIS to reset my airbag light because I turned the key on when I had the driver seat out during the BT install.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Yzo
2nd Gear
Wow. Well, when faced such a wealth of information regarding a method allowing one to tailor the behavior of your MINI to exactly your liking and reduce your reliance on the dealer for technical operations, there really is only one thing to say to that: You go to hell strobeyprobey.

You have exposed me to something that, through a combination of sheer curiosity and slightly more money than sense, I will have to buy so I can tinker. Another tome of unearthly knowledge now lays before me, and it is futile to think I'll be able to resist the call of being able to roll up my windows from the key fob, or change the cluster on a 2011 so the speed doesn't always show in the upper BC window (because I hate that mod).

Seriously though dude; Rock. On.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:07 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
So, in essence, with the EDIABAS cable, you can toggle bits for settings and such in module firmware... but you need the more expensive J2534 cable to flash new/updated firmware to these modules... right?

I remember a discussion about the J2534 cable, and I had asked in the past if it could be used to get my amp working properly, but I just couldn't justify dropping that kind of money (plus the cost of an external power supply for the car) after all I had already spent on the HK sound retrofit. But $120... *and* the ability to flip all these other software switches? I can swing that.

EDIT:
Here's a thought... I already have a Bavarian Technic diagnostic tool. Do you know if (or suspect) that cable might work with the NCS Expert tool?

EDIT, EDIT:
Taking this to a relative extreme, might I be able to retrofit the new hi-res navigation and 'connected' features using kindly dealership technicians for firmware updates and this cable & NCS Expert to update my vehicle order? Or would that be asking too much of this tool and technique?

-------

Side question:
I had a sticky sunroof this past summer, and the dealership said it needed a reprogramming to be fixed. Also, just a few weeks ago, the dealership tried to update the firmware on my HK amp to see if that would fix the issue I was having with it (it didn't... they could see an update was available, but it kept crapping out halfway through). Would either/both of these events have caused all my modules to be updated through ISTA/P?

It sounds like the answer is 'yes' (at least to the sunroof one; maybe not the failed amp update one), but I want to check.

Last edited by fishbert; 12-16-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Yzo
2nd Gear
Here's a thought... I already have a Bavarian Technic diagnostic tool. Do you know if (or suspect) that cable might work with the NCS Expert tool?
Actually, in doing my own research on other threads on this topic, and from their own website, the technic tool cannot be used for programming like the J2534 pass through tool.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:27 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Yzo
Actually, in doing my own research on other threads on this topic, and from their own website, the technic tool cannot be used for programming like the J2534 pass through tool.
No, I knew that... I mean for bit toggling through NCS Expert; like the $120 EDIABAS cable.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:40 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
So, in essence, with the EDIABAS cable, you can toggle bits for settings and such in module firmware... but you need the more expensive J2534 cable to flash new/updated firmware to these modules... right?
Yes exactly, I should have clarified that a bit better. (The J2534 gives you pretty much EVERYTHING a dealer can do).

I remember a discussion about the J2534 cable, and I had asked in the past if it could be used to get my amp working properly, but I just couldn't justify dropping that kind of money (plus the cost of an external power supply for the car) after all I had already spent on the HK sound retrofit. But $120... *and* the ability to flip all these other software switches? I can swing that.
And a small warning here, I tried to use a Mongoose ISO J2534 and did not have good luck with it, but I have a strong suspicion the old BMW software was conflicting with the new software, as I dumbly used the same laptop. So right now I can't really recommend that cable. But I know others have had good luck with it.

EDIT:
You would be best to head over to bimmerforums.com in the diagnostic software section to find the answer to that question. I have a gut feel it won't work for NCS access.

EDIT, EDIT:
Taking this to a relative extreme, might I be able to retrofit the new hi-res navigation and 'connected' features using kindly dealership technicians for firmware updates and this cable & NCS Expert to update my vehicle order? Or would that be asking too much of this tool and technique?
I was kind of pondering that myself. My gut feel is that it maybe possible, but I have an even stronger feeling the actually wiring harness of the car will be too different for you to connect the new systems. Software wise I bet it is possible! But that is a boat load of money to try it out with no guarantees!

Side question:
I had a sticky sunroof this past summer, and the dealership said it needed a reprogramming to be fixed. Also, just a few weeks ago, the dealership tried to update the firmware on my HK amp to see if that would fix the issue I was having with it (it didn't... they could see an update was available, but it kept crapping out halfway through). Would either/both of these events have caused all my modules to be updated through ISTA/P?

It sounds like the answer is 'yes' (at least to the sunroof one; maybe not the failed amp update one), but I want to check.
If they, in fact, reprogrammed the car for the sunroof, not just the initialization that requires holding the sunroof button for a period of time, you should have a pretty recent firmware version on each module. You would know because all of your radio presets would have been lost and your car/lighting customizations would have been lost when you got the car back.

Now I don't know if the dealer ISTA/P allows for a retrofit of the HK amp. Did your dealer do that?

If not, I wouldn't be surprised their software crashed upon trying to update the amp because it may have been looking for the HIFI amp because of the VO.

The option code for the HIFI amp is $6FD and the HK amp is $674

BTW the file with all of the Vehicle Order option codes has the following interesting entries:

Code:

W 6FB                   RADIO_1                         //Radio Mini Wave CD                                    //Radio Mini CD
W 6FC                   RADIO_2                         //Radio Mini Boost CD                                   //Radio Mini Boost CD, frei wählbar
W 6FD                   HIFI_SYSTEM                     //MINI HiFi Loadspeaker System                          //MINI HiFi Lautsprechersystem
W 6FL                   AUDIOPLAYER_USB                 //USB-/Audio Interface                                  //USB-Audio-Schnittstelle nur für LA Korea, SOP 10-03-500
W 6FP                   RADIO_BOOST                     //Radio MINI Visual Boost                               //Radio Mini Visual Boost, PN A50751, bedeutet CHAMP2, Ausschluß zu SA 606, Zwang zu SA 6ND
W 6ND                   TEL_API                         //Bluetooth Handset Free Kit With USB/Audio Interface   //Freisprecheinrichtung Bluetooth mit USB/Audio-Schnittstelle, nur mit SA 6FC oder 6FP
W 6NE                   TEL_API_USB                     //Bluetooth Mobilephone Preparation with USB/Audio Interface    //Handy Vorbereitung Bluetooth mit USB-Schnittstelle
W 6NF                   TEL_API_SMART                   //Smartphone Preparation                                //Smartphone Vorbereitung Bluetooth mit USB/Audio-Schnittstelle   Zwang zu SA 6ND, Ausschluß zu LA 807, nur mit SA 6FC, frei wählbar in Verbindung mit 6FP bzw. SA 606
W 6NM                   //MINI_CONNECTED                  //MINI Connected                                        //MINI Connected "A4A"   Zwang zu SA 6FP oder SA 606, Ausschluß zu 6FC, frei wählbar in Verbindung mit 6FP bzw. SA 606
W 6S1                   TUERKISCH                       //                                                      //Sprachversion Türkisch
W 6S2                   GRIECHISCH                      //                                                      //Sprachversion Griechisch, gem. PN 54693 vom 05.02. nur für BN2020
W 6S3                   PORTUGIESISCH                   //                                                      //Sprachversion Portugiesisch
W 6S4                   SCHWEDISCH                      //                                                      //Sprachversion Schwedisch
W 6UD                   RUSSISCH                        //Language Version Russian (English, German)            //Sprachvarsion Russisch
W 6UF                   PRE_NAVI                        //Preparatinon for Navigation System                    //Navigationssystem Vorbereitung
W 6UH                   TRAFFIC_INFO                    //Traffic Information                                   //Traffic Information
W 6UL                                                   //Navigation System Portable (Pseudo Aftermarket SA), PA425/158, kein Anschluß an das Bordnetz, nur Spg-Versorgung
W 6VC                   COMBOX                          //Control Combox                                        //Steuerung Combox
W 601   V0810           TV                              //TV Function                                           //TV-Funktion, nur in Verbindung mit SA 609 Navigation, entfällt zu MÜTÜ
W 606                   NAVI_BUSINESS                   //Navigation System Business                            //Navigationssystem Business, nicht in Verbindung mit SA 6FP
W 609   V0810           NAVIGATION CCC                  //Navigation System Professionell                       //Navigationssystem Professional, entfällt zu 09/2010 mit MÜTÜ, PA131/007
W 674                   HIFI_KARDON                     //Hifi Loudspeaker System Harman Kardon                 //hifi-system Harman Kardon

So I have GOOD news for you, digging through a file that appears to be a changelog for ISTA/P I found this entry:

Code:
//NAEL VORAB.X   xa  28.08.08   EI-73    Michael Huth (Hu)
     18.08.08 Hu                       AT                                  - new ASW "HIFI_KARDON" for SA674 integrated
In 2008 the option code 674 was added! So your radio should contain the proper code. I found the MINI Connected was added 3/09.

So comparing the radio module from my car and the 2010 with the HK here is the interesting differences I spotted:

HK:
Code:
VOLUME_STEPS
	e91
	r56_hifi_branded

VOL_GONG_MIN_RAD2
	r55_hifi_branded
	r56_hifi_branded
	e93_752

R2_RATIO_AUDIO_SOURCES
	r56_hifi_branded
	r56_hifi_branded_us
RAD2_CROSSOVER
	pl2_hifi
	r56_hifi
	r60_hifi
	r55_hifi

RAD2_VOLUME_TABLE
	r56_hifi_branded

HIFI:
Code:
    VOLUME_STEPS               
        r56                        

VOL_GONG_MIN_RAD2          
        e82_stereo                 
        e92_stereo                 
        r56_hifi                   
        r57_hifi                   

R2_RATIO_AUDIO_SOURCES     
        r56_hifi_us                
    RAD2_CROSSOVER             
        pl2_hifi                   
        r56_hifi                   
        r60_hifi                   
        r55_hifi                   
    RAD2_VOLUME_TABLE          
        r56_hifi

Old 12-16-2010, 05:54 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
If any one is curious here are the options that are present in the radio module trace file (the 2010 with bluetooth, usb & HK), many of the options don't really do anything (I have tried many of them) but some of them do!

Code:
MUTE_TIMES
	pl2
SOFTEN_ENTERTAINMENT_PDC
	nicht_aktiv
	aktiv
KEY_MEMORY_R
	aktiv
CODIERUNG_ERFOLGT
	codierung_erfolgt
BAUREIHEX
	r56
PDC
	nicht_aktiv
ACC
	nicht_aktiv
CDC
	nicht_aktiv
SDARS
	nicht_aktiv
IBOC
	nicht_aktiv
RIGHTHAND
	nicht_aktiv
TCU_ECE
	nicht_aktiv
ULF_ECE
	aktiv
BMW_MOBILE_SERVICE
	nicht_aktiv
BMW_HOME_DEALER
	nicht_aktiv
AUX_RAD
	aux
RING_STATUS
	aktiv
BMW_TELESERVICE_ONLY
	nicht_aktiv
BMW_AKD
	nicht_aktiv
BMW_INITIALIZE
	nicht_aktiv
BMW_PHONE_SERVICES
	nicht_aktiv
BMW_ROAMING
	nicht_aktiv
BLUETOOTH_RAD2
	aktiv
HI_TEMP_VOL_CTRL
	pl2_hifi
	pl3_hifi
SMS_RAD2
	nicht_aktiv
AUDIO_SYSTEM
	pl2_hifi
	pl3_hifi
STANDHEIZUNG
	nicht_aktiv
DAB
	nicht_aktiv
ABS_VOL_GONG
	r56_hifi_0907
BMW_ASSIST_RAD2
	nicht_aktiv
BMW_HOTLINE_RAD2
	nicht_aktiv
CAR_COMP_ACTIVE
	aktiv
CONTACT_NR_DEALER
	aktiv
CONTACT_NR_HOTLINE
	aktiv
CONTACT_NR_MOBILE_SRVC
	aktiv
PHONE_BUSINESS_R2
	nicht_aktiv
SDV_CURVE
	wert_02
SVS_LOW_RAD2
	aktiv
TCU_***
	nicht_aktiv
VEHICLE_FILTERS
	pl2_hifi
	r55_hifi
	r56_hifi
	r60_hifi
	r57_hifi
VOL_TEL_MIN
	wert_0
MY_INFO_RAD2
	nicht_aktiv
V_INFO_RAD2
	nicht_aktiv
PHONE_PROF_RAD2
	nicht_aktiv
USB_RAD2
	aktiv
DELTA_NAV_ENT
	standard
	pl2
	pl2_top_hifi
	mca
PDC_ADAPTION_F_R
	wert_0
	e81_stereo
	r55_stereo
	r60_stereo
	r57_stereo
	r55_hifi
	r55_hifi_branded
	r56_hifi
	r56_hifi_branded
	r57_hifi_branded
RATIO_GONGS
	r55_stereo
	r55_hifi_branded
	r56_hifi
	r56_hifi_branded
	r57_hifi
	e82_top_hifi
	e9x_752
	e90_752
	e92_752
TIME_OUT_GONG
	wert_0
VOL_NAV_MAX
	standard
	pl2
	pl2_top_hifi
	mca
VOL_NAV_MIN
	standard
	pl2
	pl2_top_hifi
VOL_TEL_MAX_RAD
	wert_0
VOLUME_STEPS
	e91
	r56_hifi_branded
AUDIO_MIXING_CONCEPT
	on
CENTER_VALUE_VOL_TP_MIN
	wert_0
DELTA_GONG_ENT_RAD2
	wert_0
DELTA_PDC_ENT_RAD2
	wert_0
GONG_PDC_DISPLAY
	aktiv
GONGS
	aktiv
VEHICLE_FINDER_MODE
	nicht_aktiv
VOL_GONG_MAX_RAD2
	e81_stereo
	e87_stereo
	e90_stereo
	e91_stereo
	e93_stereo
	r60_stereo
	r57_stereo
	r56_hifi
	r56_hifi_branded
VOL_GONG_MIN_RAD2
	r55_hifi_branded
	r56_hifi_branded
	e93_752
VOL_PDC_MAX_RAD2
	e81_hifi
	e82_hifi
	e88_hifi
	r55_hifi_branded
	r56_hifi_branded
	r60_hifi_branded
	e92_top_hifi
VOL_PDC_MIN_RAD2
	e81_stereo
	e82_stereo
	r60_stereo
	e91_hifi
	r55_hifi_branded
	r56_hifi
	r56_hifi_branded
	e91_752
VOL_RING_MAX
	wert_0
VOL_RING_MIN
	wert_0
VOL_SRS_MAX
	wert_0
VOL_SRS_MIN
	wert_0
M_GROUP_B
	off
VOLUME_MAX_ON_C50
	standard
COUNTRYCODE_RADIO_2
	us
R2_RATIO_AUDIO_SOURCES
	r56_hifi_branded
	r56_hifi_branded_us
RAD2_CROSSOVER
	pl2_hifi
	r56_hifi
	r60_hifi
	r55_hifi
RAD2_DISPLAY_LOGIC7
	nicht_aktiv
RAD2_VOLUME_TABLE
	r56_hifi_branded
TIME_DIST_SAME_PRIO_RAD2
	pl3
STOLEN_VEHICLE_MODE_20
	nicht_aktiv
BASS_MSA
	l3_stereo
	wert_0
R2_MONO_ANALOG_IN
	tel_mute_off
VOL_MSA
	l3_stereo
	wert_0
MCA
	off
If you are anywhere near the Twin Cities drive on over and I can make the changes for you!

Last edited by strobeyprobey; 12-16-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:18 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Wow, lots of good info! Thanks again!

If they, in fact, reprogrammed the car for the sunroof, not just the initialization that requires holding the sunroof button for a period of time, you should have a pretty recent firmware version on each module. You would know because all of your radio presets would have been lost and your car/lighting customizations would have been lost when you got the car back.
It's been long enough that I don't remember. I'll see if the service ticket offers any clues, but I don't really expect it to.

Now I don't know if the dealer ISTA/P allows for a retrofit of the HK amp. Did your dealer do that?

If not, I wouldn't be surprised their software crashed upon trying to update the amp because it may have been looking for the HIFI amp because of the VO.
I'm fairly certain it's the latter. They said they could see an update (for the amplifier, not the head unit) available, and they could tell it to start, but the update would quit halfway. Their best guess was that the car didn't recognize it as a valid configuration (it was presented to me by the SA as an educated guess of the technicians, not as an established fact). The whole things sounds a lot like what you described earlier would happen if one didn't put the original HiFi unit in the car when going in for an update.

-------

So, I ordered a cable from that same guy you did about 5 minutes after reading your initial 'technical info for HK amp retrofitters' post. It's been a few hours now, and I find myself already jonesing for that package! ... how long did you say it took to arrive at your door?

Also, any idea if the necessary software will work under 32-bit Windows 7?
I saw that you used XP, but I don't think I have a copy of that floating around here at the moment.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:26 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strobeyprobey - My buddy and I are waiting for our wire from Hong Kong. He actually turned me onto the NCS Expert before all of your posts (for his 328)....so I was wondering if you saw any information in there about sending "full signal" to the rear speakers?

I'm definitely going for the open/close with the fob and the seat belt chime when the wire arrives.

You say, "With NCS you can do things like make your windows roll up with the fob, remove bulb checks (in case you want to go to LEDs), retrofit equipment like HID & bluetooth & IBOC (I programmed both bluetooth & iboc last week) & fogs & other modules & etc, remove the seat belt chime, remove the 37°F chime, change cluster so the speed will always show in the upper BC window (I LOVE this mod), and a few others".

What else have you noticed while you were in there? I'm not planning to do this but realistically it seems you should be able to set the odometer back as well...

Old 12-16-2010, 06:51 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
No, the odometer will not be re-setable. The odometer is stored a few different modules including the cluster (tach & speedo unit) and the engine computer module. You would have to replace every computer that stores the mileage and get it resynced to the car. But even then the cluster probably would give you a tamper alert.

There maybe other cool things, like enabling more CBS indicators, but I really don't know. I want to get BFD (brake force display) to work. Also you can enable front fogs on with high beams.

The full signal to the rears would probably come from the entry I noted above (I haven't had a non-amp car to compare too) called

RAD2_CROSSOVER
pl2_hifi
r56_hifi
r60_hifi
r55_hifi

and

VEHICLE_FILTERS
* pl2_hifi
* r55_hifi
* r56_hifi
* r60_hifi
* r57_hifi

Old 12-16-2010, 06:59 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
So, I ordered a cable from that same guy you did about 5 minutes after reading your initial 'technical info for HK amp retrofitters' post. It's been a few hours now, and I find myself already jonesing for that package! ... how long did you say it took to arrive at your door?

Also, any idea if the necessary software will work under 32-bit Windows 7?
I saw that you used XP, but I don't think I have a copy of that floating around here at the moment.
Well it took a couple of weeks to get. And I would highly recommend going 32 bit XP! The diagnostic software section will give you the best resource for that.

There are a few more tidbits you will want to get, on the diagnostic software site you will want to get into the 4Shared site referenced many times and get the guides for NCS.

There is one PDF in particular (that I can dig up too) that describes how to modify your vehicle order. Using the expert profile. In the R56 the VO is stored in the FRM and CAS modules. Once those two modules have been updated, you will want to "default" your radio module by Processing the 2RAD module without trace file manipulation enabled.

I do want to caution you to spend the next couple of weeks reading EVERY bit of information you can on that Diagnostic Software forum. Getting this to run and work is not trivial and if you are not careful you could goof the car up! As long as you are careful with NCS and stick to the radio, FRM, abg and CAS modules and CAREFULLY follow the directions in the NCS dummy post for tracefile manipulation you can really go to town trying new options in those modules because you can default them back.

You and possibly me (since I am considering the HK upgrade) really lucked out that I had an HK equipped loaner this week! And I almost didn't think to connect up the car to read the radio module!

Last edited by strobeyprobey; 12-16-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:14 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Okay I have more information for the audio crowd here, I was able to pull information from the non-amp Boost system in an R55 and can now see the difference in the settings in NCS for that! So for the people that want to rid their car of the 100Hz cuttoff, these are the settings I see are different between HIFI and non-HIFI:

Realistically, the only settings you would probably need to get rid of the 100Hz cutoff is the VEHICLE_FILTERS or RAD2_CROSSOVER. My money would be on the crossover, changing that to the HIFI would probably do it.

NO AMP:

Code:
HI_TEMP_VOL_CTRL
	pl2_stereo
	pl3_stereo

AUDIO_SYSTEM
	pl2_stereo
	pl3_stereo
ABS_VOL_GONG
	r55_stereo

VEHICLE_FILTERS
	r55_stereo

VOL_GONG_MAX_RAD2
	r55_stereo
VOL_GONG_MIN_RAD2
	e90_stereo
	r55_stereo

RAD2_CROSSOVER
	r56_stereo
	r57_stereo
	r55_stereo

RAD2_VOLUME_TABLE
	r55_stereo

HIFI:
Code:
    HI_TEMP_VOL_CTRL           
        pl2_hifi                   
       pl3_hifi                   

AUDIO_SYSTEM               AUDIO SYSTEM
*       pl2_hifi                   
*       pl3_hifi                   

ABS_VOL_GONG               
*       r56_hifi_0907              

VEHICLE_FILTERS            
*       pl2_hifi                   
*       r55_hifi                   
*       r56_hifi                   
*       r60_hifi                   
*       r57_hifi                   

VOL_GONG_MAX_RAD2          
        e81_stereo                 
        e87_stereo                 
        e90_stereo                 
        e91_stereo                 
        e93_stereo                 
        r60_stereo                 
        r57_stereo                 
        r56_hifi                   
        r56_hifi_branded           
    VOL_GONG_MIN_RAD2          
        e82_stereo                 
        e92_stereo                 
        r56_hifi                   
        r57_hifi                   

RAD2_CROSSOVER             
        pl2_hifi                   
        r56_hifi                   
        r60_hifi                   
        r55_hifi                   

RAD2_VOLUME_TABLE          
        r56_hifi
Here is the entire file if anyone is curious:
Code:
MUTE_TIMES
	pl2
SOFTEN_ENTERTAINMENT_PDC
	nicht_aktiv
	aktiv
KEY_MEMORY_R
	aktiv
CODIERUNG_ERFOLGT
	codierung_erfolgt
BAUREIHEX
	r56
PDC
	nicht_aktiv
ACC
	nicht_aktiv
CDC
	nicht_aktiv
SDARS
	nicht_aktiv
IBOC
	nicht_aktiv
RIGHTHAND
	nicht_aktiv
TCU_ECE
	nicht_aktiv
ULF_ECE
	nicht_aktiv
BMW_MOBILE_SERVICE
	nicht_aktiv
BMW_HOME_DEALER
	nicht_aktiv
AUX_RAD
	aux
RING_STATUS
	nicht_aktiv
BMW_TELESERVICE_ONLY
	nicht_aktiv
BMW_AKD
	nicht_aktiv
BMW_INITIALIZE
	nicht_aktiv
BMW_PHONE_SERVICES
	nicht_aktiv
BMW_ROAMING
	nicht_aktiv
BLUETOOTH_RAD2
	nicht_aktiv
HI_TEMP_VOL_CTRL
	pl2_stereo
	pl3_stereo
SMS_RAD2
	nicht_aktiv
AUDIO_SYSTEM
	pl2_stereo
	pl3_stereo
STANDHEIZUNG
	nicht_aktiv
DAB
	nicht_aktiv
ABS_VOL_GONG
	r55_stereo
BMW_ASSIST_RAD2
	nicht_aktiv
BMW_HOTLINE_RAD2
	nicht_aktiv
CAR_COMP_ACTIVE
	aktiv
CONTACT_NR_DEALER
	aktiv
CONTACT_NR_HOTLINE
	aktiv
CONTACT_NR_MOBILE_SRVC
	aktiv
PHONE_BUSINESS_R2
	nicht_aktiv
SDV_CURVE
	wert_02
SVS_LOW_RAD2
	nicht_aktiv
TCU_***
	nicht_aktiv
VEHICLE_FILTERS
	r55_stereo
VOL_TEL_MIN
	wert_0
MY_INFO_RAD2
	nicht_aktiv
V_INFO_RAD2
	nicht_aktiv
PHONE_PROF_RAD2
	nicht_aktiv
USB_RAD2
	nicht_aktiv
PDC_ADAPTION_F_R
	wert_0
	e81_stereo
	r55_stereo
	r60_stereo
	r57_stereo
	r55_hifi
	r55_hifi_branded
	r56_hifi
	r56_hifi_branded
	r57_hifi_branded
RATIO_GONGS
	r55_stereo
	r55_hifi_branded
	r56_hifi
	r56_hifi_branded
	r57_hifi
	e82_top_hifi
	e9x_752
	e90_752
	e92_752
TIME_OUT_GONG
	wert_0
VOL_NAV_MIN
	standard
	pl2
	pl2_top_hifi
VOL_TEL_MAX_RAD
	wert_0
VOLUME_STEPS
	r55
AUDIO_MIXING_CONCEPT
	on
CENTER_VALUE_VOL_TP_MIN
	wert_0
DELTA_GONG_ENT_RAD2
	wert_0
DELTA_PDC_ENT_RAD2
	wert_0
GONG_PDC_DISPLAY
	aktiv
GONGS
	aktiv
VEHICLE_FINDER_MODE
	nicht_aktiv
VOL_GONG_MAX_RAD2
	r55_stereo
VOL_GONG_MIN_RAD2
	e90_stereo
	r55_stereo
VOL_PDC_MAX_RAD2
	r55_stereo
VOL_PDC_MIN_RAD2
	r55_stereo
	r57_stereo
	r57_hifi
	e9x_752
	e90_752
	e92_752
	e93_752
VOL_RING_MAX
	wert_0
VOL_RING_MIN
	wert_0
VOL_SRS_MAX
	wert_0
VOL_SRS_MIN
	wert_0
M_GROUP_B
	off
VOLUME_MAX_ON_C50
	standard
COUNTRYCODE_RADIO_2
	us
RAD2_CROSSOVER
	r56_stereo
	r57_stereo
	r55_stereo
RAD2_DISPLAY_LOGIC7
	nicht_aktiv
RAD2_VOLUME_TABLE
	r55_stereo
TIME_DIST_SAME_PRIO_RAD2
	pl3
STOLEN_VEHICLE_MODE_20
	nicht_aktiv
BASS_MSA
	l3_stereo
	wert_0
R2_MONO_ANALOG_IN
	tel_mute_off
VOL_MSA
	l3_stereo
	wert_0
MCA
	off

Old 01-13-2011, 11:54 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
I highly recommend that if you have access to NCS expert (see my thread about closing the sunroof and windows with the FOB) you can update your Vehicle Order to "officially" retrofit the HK amp (by removing the option code for the HIFI and adding the HK, refered to as "branded HIFI" option code)
Got my cable last week; been reading up on NCS Expert and all that. Had a free moment this morning to give it a go... but I'm having trouble updating the Vehicle Order on my car.

The CAS module updates just fine. But when I try and update (or even 'Read ECU' on) the FRM module, I get an error -- "Error in CABD! Look at CABI.ERR and ERROR.LOG! ... "SYS-0005: OBJECT FILE NOT FOUND".

Here's the coding screen after the error; you can see 'Error by running job' there in the status.

One thing I noticed: I have a "FRM_87.PRG" file in the C:\EDIABAS directory somewhere... but no "FRM_70.PRG" file. I suspect that this may be the cause of the error, but I don't know how to fix it. (I'm not going to just rename the file, as that doesn't seem very smart to do blindly.)

Have you run into this before? Any ideas?
A similar error over on the bimmerforums site suggested updating the daten files... but I'm using the ones from the .rar archive you pointed to in your post over in that other thread of yours (and they only supply the *.C?? files that live in C:\NCSEXPER\DATEN\R56... not the *.PRG files over in the C:\EDIABAS directory structure).

Here's the ERROR.LOG file that first "ERROR IN CABD!" notice points to:
ERROR! Modul: LFCDHDIA.CPP (A_PL2FRX.IPS/IPO), Proc: CDHapiResultText, LineNr: 01, ErrorNr: 2000
COAPI-2000: EDIABAS or SGBD error
SYS-0005: OBJECT FILE NOT FOUND

>> ERROR! Modul: COAPI2.CPP, Proc: coapiRunCabd, LineNr: 06, ErrorNr: 2000
CODIERINDEX_LESEN

>> ERROR! Modul: COAPI.CPP, Proc: coapiReadCodierIndexFromSg, LineNr: 05, ErrorNr: 2000
CODIERINDEX_LESEN: A_PL2FRX

>> ERROR! Modul: LFCDHDIA.CPP (A_PL2FRX.IPS/IPO), Proc: CDHapiResultText, LineNr: 01, ErrorNr: 2000
SYS-0005: OBJECT FILE NOT FOUND

>> ERROR! Modul: COAPI2.CPP, Proc: coapiRunCabd, LineNr: 06, ErrorNr: 2000
CODIERDATEN_LESEN
I know it says "CODIERINDEX_LESEN" in there... that's what the JOBNAME would get set to if I hit 'Read ECU' to get that "ERROR IN CABD!" error. I did have the JOBNAME set to FA_WRITE before then, though.

-------

Another thing... I was running into a different error as well... "VIN is faulty".
I was following some 'how to update your VO' PDF that everyone seems to point to over on bimmerforums, and I'd get that error after selecting the R56 chassis and entering in my VIN. If I checked the 'calculate checksum' box, the error didn't appear... but then the VO option list was completely empty.

I was able to work around the error... I think by telling NCS Expert to read the CAS ECU (though without the car in front of me, I couldn't say for sure). But I wonder if this is an expected error, or if something else needs fixing with my setup.

-------

EDIT: Seems I had completely missed the part in the PDF instructions to run the stuff in the \Step_3\ directory. Now I have a "FRM_70.PRG" file (along with a "FRM_87.PRG" file), and will try to update my Vehicle Order again later tonight if I have time.

Last edited by fishbert; 01-13-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:31 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Once those two modules have been updated, you will want to "default" your radio module by Processing the 2RAD module without trace file manipulation enabled.
I do not appear to have a 2RAD module. (EDIT: I bet you don't have navigation… that's why. Which modules do you have? I know CAPPL is the navigation module, but I don't know if that would have the equivalent 2RAD settings, and my NCS installation throws an error when I try to talk to CAPPL.)

2MULF
4BMOT
ABG
CAPPL
CAS
CAUDI
CGATE
CHOST
CID
CTUNE
DSC
EPS
FRM
HAMP
IHKA
KOMBI
PDC
PGS
RLS
SHD
SPEG
SZL

Last edited by fishbert; 01-13-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:51 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Sadness…

It turns out that CAPPL does have equivalent audio settings to the stuff you found in 2RAD. But NCS Dummy tells me the only options available to me are r56_stereo and r56_hifi.

I have updated the Vehicle Order — added $674 (HK amp) and deleted $6DF (Hifi amp) — and installed the HK amp in the back.
Do you think taking it straight to the dealer for a firmware update would work? The head unit doesn't have the HK amp settings (volume, gong, etc.), but the hardware does match the VO…

Last edited by fishbert; 01-14-2011 at 01:39 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:30 AM
ball
1st Gear
I have a 2008 Clubman with the HI-FI system. I just recieved a 2011 loaner with the Harmon Kardon system. Wow.... What a difference. I cant believe how much louder the HK system is than my pitiful HI-FI.

To anyone that has replaced their HI-FI speakers with the HK speakers: Have you listened to a stock HK system, and if so, how does the modified HI-FI system compare? If replacing the speakers makes it loud and more clear like the stock HK system, Im ordering the speakers for sure.

Im more interested in the loudness of the speaker swap vs. the stock HI-FI.

Last edited by ball; 01-14-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:07 PM
lenikola
Neutral
hi everybody,

I have got a '09 Mini Cooper S Cabrio R57 with a basic hifi system (only 6 speakers) I'd like to know if it's possible to upgrade to the H/K hifi-system or any better hifi-system than mine (like the Alpine hifi-system.)

I think updating to the H/K will be very expansive and too complicated because i have to change A-Pillar and rear panel (there is no hole for tweeters...) but what do you tkink about the Alpine system? (with 6 front speakers and 1 amp.)

Please excuse my bad english, Im french.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Want to upgrade from Hi-Fi to Harman Kardon