Interior/Exterior Painting/PlastiDip Chrome Window Trim

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 07:01 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Painting/PlastiDip Chrome Window Trim

Last weekend I've decided to re-do my chrome window trim with PlastiDip. I had it covered with 3M Super88 tape before that but the final result was just not satisfactory.

The PlastiDip method was much easier and gave me better looking result.

I'm posting some pictures showing how the trims are attached to the body of the car. All the trims were very easy to take off. Just make sure you protect the car's paint when prying the trims.

For the windshield, front quarter, and the doors, you'd want to pull the trims up vertically. It's just being held by friction, so there're no clips.

For the rear panels and hatch area, you'd want to pull the trims out horizontally towards you. These are held by clips. Slowly undo the clips from one end of the trim to the other.

I used 2 cans of matte black PlastiDip which gave me about 5 good coats on every trim piece.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:07 PM
MidnightF56
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for this write up!!! Any pics of the final result?

Old 01-21-2016, 07:14 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MidnightF56
Thanks for this write up!!! Any pics of the final result?
I'll snap some pictures after I wash the car. It's filthy right now since I wanted to leave the PlastiDip to really cure for a few days before washing it. It was ok to touch after 4 hours as directed on the can though.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:35 PM
JasonGSD
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you say this is easy enough for "anyone" to do? I'm not the most handy person....I have other qualities. Also, are you satisfied with the results? Let's see some pictures!

Old 01-24-2016, 07:30 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Some pics of the finished trims:

Old 01-24-2016, 11:04 PM
MoJo4Twenty
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice car all around! Did you also do the other black trim yourself? Thinking about the plastidip route as well.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:48 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MoJo4Twenty
Nice car all around! Did you also do the other black trim yourself? Thinking about the plastidip route as well.
Thanks!
The gas cap and door handles were from Aliexpress (decent quality).
Grills, brake vents and light trims were wrapped with vinyl.

You could easily do the light trims (front and rear) with Plastidip since they come off easily. Door handles and gas cap I wouldn't Plastidip just because they get a lot of hand-traffic so they might not last very long. Plus I'm not sure how easy it is to take those parts off.

Would you say this is easy enough for "anyone" to do? I'm not the most handy person....I have other qualities. Also, are you satisfied with the results? Let's see some pictures!
Plastidip is one of the easiest type of paint to use IMO. The amount of prep is minimal. I just dust off the trims with my shop compressor then wipe everything cleanly with rubbing alcohol. No sanding and no primer needed.

If you have used spray paint before, I think you'd do just fine. Plus with Plastidip if you botch it up, you just wait for it to dry then peel it off and re-do. The most important thing it to spray each layer THINLY! Be patient and let each layers dry for around 30 mins before spraying the next. If you spray too thick it will get runny and you won't get smooth result.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:08 PM
JasonGSD
1st Gear
It came out great, love it with the orange! Great job.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:54 PM
mattcarberry
1st Gear
Doing this!!

Old 03-13-2016, 09:31 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mattcarberry
Doing this!!
Just an update, Plastidip does not adhere to the rubber part of the trims very well. If you rub it, the plastidip would come off easily from the rubber. Doesn't bother me much since the rubber part is black anyway, so you barely see anything.

On the actual chrome plastic is holding up very well.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:06 PM
MINI #1
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3M Vinyl Beltline Trim, $11 at
Outmotoring

Old 08-28-2016, 03:14 PM
Oly
2nd Gear
Plastidip

Do you think Plastidip could be used - maybe with a brush - on the chrome rings on the dash & the "Piano Black" shell of the central radio housing ?

Any idea what could be used to make the light gray/white leatherette on my doors black like yours?

> New-to-me 2014 < So not everything exactly as I would have ordered

-Oly

Old 11-02-2016, 06:11 PM
copajoe
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I just recently purchased an orange/black 2014 f56 that is just like yours. I would love to see more photos of your car, of all of the parts you converted to black as I plan to do the same. Maybe a bit more explanation of the various ways you got it to where it is? thanks in advance....

Old 11-02-2016, 06:45 PM
copajoe
2nd Gear
also, in regard to your door handles and gas cap that you got from Aliexpress.

do the door handles have the little hole for the "keyless go" button that are on my door handles?

If your mini does not have this, can you at least see the small cirle "knockout" that would need to be removed so I could use these on my car?

Also, how does the color of those "match" up to the plasti dip color out of the spray can? just curious as I cannot tell by your photos.

thanks again.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:38 AM
Scooter24
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Do u have to use something to pry up under the trim before pulling towards you? Or do u just grab the edge and pull towards you and work your way down the trim?

Old 11-03-2016, 02:42 AM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Oly
Do you think Plastidip could be used - maybe with a brush - on the chrome rings on the dash & the "Piano Black" shell of the central radio housing ?

Any idea what could be used to make the light gray/white leatherette on my doors black like yours?

> New-to-me 2014 < So not everything exactly as I would have ordered

-Oly
I don't think brushing the Plastidip would yield a good result. I would advise you to get the dash rings and pieces from Aliexpress or other vendor. I believe they have everything from black, bright colors, and even full carbon fiber.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:47 AM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by copajoe
I just recently purchased an orange/black 2014 f56 that is just like yours. I would love to see more photos of your car, of all of the parts you converted to black as I plan to do the same. Maybe a bit more explanation of the various ways you got it to where it is? thanks in advance....
Pics can be seen here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sra4cw4u9...9FYQiupua?dl=0

I've only blacked out the exterior parts:

1) Front grille and ducts were wrapped with black vinyl.
2) Door handle cover from Aliexpress.
3) Rear hatch handle covered with black vinyl.
4) Gas Cap cover from Aliexpress
5) Side markers covered with black vinyl.
6) Rear bumper chrome trims covered with black vinyl.
7) Window trims done with Plastidip. (tried the tape method but result was not satisfactory)
8) Took out the chrome Cooper S badge on the rear for cleaner look.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:52 AM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by copajoe
also, in regard to your door handles and gas cap that you got from Aliexpress.

do the door handles have the little hole for the "keyless go" button that are on my door handles?

If your mini does not have this, can you at least see the small cirle "knockout" that would need to be removed so I could use these on my car?

Also, how does the color of those "match" up to the plasti dip color out of the spray can? just curious as I cannot tell by your photos.

thanks again.
Unfortunately the cover does not have the hole for comfort access. Newer versions of the cover might have surfaced, I'd check with the seller before buying.

Plastidip is matte unless you spray their glossifier top coat. The Aliexpress covers were all clearcoated. So they don't really match but it still looks great.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:54 AM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Scooter24
Do u have to use something to pry up under the trim before pulling towards you? Or do u just grab the edge and pull towards you and work your way down the trim?
I used my plastic trim removal kit to help pry the end of the trim. Once you have enough grip on the trim piece, you could drop the tool and just use both hands to pull the trim out. If you use something metal, just use some towel to protect the paint.

Old 11-03-2016, 03:57 AM
copajoe
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BadakVT
Pics can be seen here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sra4cw4u9...9FYQiupua?dl=0

I've only blacked out the exterior parts:

1) Front grille and ducts were wrapped with black vinyl.
2) Door handle cover from Aliexpress.
3) Rear hatch handle covered with black vinyl.
4) Gas Cap cover from Aliexpress
5) Side markers covered with black vinyl.
6) Rear bumper chrome trims covered with black vinyl.
7) Window trims done with Plastidip. (tried the tape method but result was not satisfactory)
8) Took out the chrome Cooper S badge on the rear for cleaner look.
thank you again for taking the time to respond. the photos are great and the car looks sweet. I would like to do pretty much everything you have done. Do you mind if I copy your methods?

I do have a few questions though. I am new to this so, black vinyl? is it pre-cut or something I will have to do myself? can you recommend a place to get what I need? any advice on this?

also, you do not mention (I think) what you did with the rings around the front and rear light housings. Plastidip? seems like a much cheaper alternative than the black ones available to purchase and install.

I will have to look around for the black door handles with the comfort access holes. the only ones I have found are the carbon fiber ones and I do not think I want to go that route.

My only issue (compared to your car) will be living in So-Cal the tinted windows on the two front doors. People do it but then you get ticketed...

once again, great photos.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:04 AM
copajoe
2nd Gear
carbon fiber exhaust tips? where?????

Old 11-06-2016, 07:52 AM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
For vinyl wrapping try contacting tint shops or clear bra installers around your area.

I would recommend wrapping the front and rear light because then you could match wrap the front grill surround and rear hatch handle. The reason I'd go with wrapping is because the front grill surround and rear handle are not easy to remove for painting/plastidip.