Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Seat swap? BMW M > MCS

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 02:28 PM
djdellaquila
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat swap? BMW M > MCS

Hello everyone.. I have searched a bit and couldn't easily find a thread that addressed this...

I recently purchased an 05 MCS JCW with 39k miles on it to use as a daily driver.. I am thoroughly enjoying it and enjoying the info and help available on NA ... I am now looking to do a few mods.. The car is in excellent shape with the exception of the drivers seat. The outer upper bolster is really chewed up and oddly enough the inner lower bolster feels like it is "flattened out".. I can only assume the previous owner was rather large... I am VERY picky and the leather has to be fixed (for which I have a reliable vendor that I have used in the past), and I think I can have the inner lower bolster "rebuilt" as well..

However...

One of the things I actually dislike the most about my Mini are the seats.. I can't seem to get comfortable in them... so I got to thinking and wondering if I would be able to pull off a seat swap with seats that fit me better.....

Given my choice I would go with a set of Recaros like I have in my S4, but I am thinking they will be a little more expensive than I am prepared to spend.. I recently came across a set of e46 M3 seats (I previously owned one and loved them) in great condition that are not power and they are very reasonable priced (I think e36 M3 VADER seats would be better suited but carry a too hefty a premium)... I am contemplating taking on the project... Has anyone came across any info on such a swap? I am fully aware that they are not going to be a direct fit and that I will lose the side air bag function and I will need to do something to take care of the airbag light....

Any insight?

Thanks in advanced!

Old 04-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Vollgas
6th Gear
Having gone through seat swaps on my own car and for several other NAM members, I think I have some experience in this.
1. Airbag light can be bypassed by disconnecting + terminal on battery prior to swapping seats.
2. Will have to use current Mini seat belt harness. Would have to be modified to fit BMW seats.
3. Need complete measurements of both seats to see if BMW will fit.
4. Will need a seat mount brace with Mini mounting hole pattern.
5. Getting your Mini seat recovered would costs around $500.00
I would look for a set of used Mini seats in leather before trying to install a set of seats that don't fit in car.
Far less headaches.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:15 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You would be better off going with a Sparco/Recaro setup then trying to fit the E36/E46 seats in a Mini. I took my seat out and put it in the Mini just to see what it looked like and it looked like #2. Plus its just a big *** pain....

Old 05-24-2011, 07:45 PM
trw92a
2nd Gear
i have a 2006 r50, with black leather seats. the width between the holes of the rails is 15 3/4". I measured the distance on my friends e46 m3 and they were somewhere around 18 i believe. I'm really looking into this, and although my seats are in near perfect condition i love the thigh support and bolster of the seat. Luckily i work next to a machine shop... maybe i could buy used seats and fashion some sort of bracket to adapt to the shorter space between the rails?

Old 05-24-2011, 09:43 PM
ggcadc
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think vaders would end up being way too wide, but that would be awesome

Old 04-01-2015, 11:00 PM
RCThrine
Neutral
updates?

i was just wondering if it ever worked. my wife has the e46 m3 and i love coopers but her seats are just so insanely supportive and adjustable.