MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > Modifications > Interior/Exterior
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
nav update
5 Replies, 125 Views
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2009, 06:50 PM
1st Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Tail Light Removal?

Im trying to 1. Smoke the Tail Lights.
and 2. Wrap the Chrome piece. But I cant figure out how to get the plastic covering off.

I tried opening up the boot and going at it from the side panel that opens. I also tried prying it off from the outside.

anyone else know how to do this? Its a 04 Cooper S
Old 09-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Wanderer

Send a message via AIM to MaxMini81
Gallery
Garage
Its quite simple with the proper tools. I can't remember off hand the size, but I think its 10mm. You'll need deep well metric sockets, maybe a short extension for ease of motion, and I also used a ratcheting wrench. There are either one or two long carriage bolt-type shafts that you will just have to unscrew the nuts from. The pain is that the motion of the nut doesn't become free after it is loosened, it remains too tight for hand-loosening all the way until its off. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, its been a long time but this should help you in the mean time if you get online. I'm more or less studying right now but when I go for a cigarette I'll look more closely.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Wanderer

Send a message via AIM to MaxMini81
Gallery
Garage
Okay so it has been a while. You still probably want a deep-well socket, but a ratcheting wrench will work well too. It is 10mm. Just one bolt/nut. It is behind the panel in the back side. Once it is loosened the tail light needs a jiggle. on the side opposite to the bolt is a metal retaining clip. Hope this helps!

The pics suck hard. All I had was my iPhone and a flashlight, but I think its enough to help you out.
Attached Thumbnails
Tail Light Removal?-img_0152.jpg   Tail Light Removal?-img_0156.jpg  
Old 09-29-2009, 07:40 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
Found this link on tail light removal that appears to be quite helpful. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:24 AM
1st Gear

Gallery
Thank you very much guys, when i get out of class I will try this ASAP.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:43 PM
2nd Gear

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Gallery
what do you want to do with the chrome ring? if you want to remove the chrome, at least on my 06 r53 there was red under the chrome, and i removed it with denatured alcohol but BE CAREFUL TO NOT GET IT ON THE
REVERSE LIGHT chrome. it is quick and easy. i read on here that there might be a black trim under the chrome on the earlier models.

'06 R53, astro black/ red tartan and leather, piano black. 17% SC pulley, One Balled, Alta IC Diverter with extension, Monster CAI w/header wrap,DFIC Hood Scoop, "7" heat range NGKs, custom fab radiator diverter w/mesh screen,18" wrapped in Nittos, black out trim, Joey mod headlights, dechromed taillights, S2000 antenna....more to come!
"THERE IS A WAR ON FOR YOUR MIND" ALEX JONES
Old 09-29-2009, 07:43 PM