Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

OS Giken clutch vs stock JCW clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 07:45 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not only does my brother's JCW's OSG STR clutch slip, but my friend's JCW's OSG STR clutch slips (with 5000 miles on it), and the latter doesn't have that much more power than stock.

I have also heard this from a few other people.

The stock JCW clutch doesn't slip on my tuned JCW of 25000 miles

Old 11-20-2011, 08:00 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by etalj
Not only does my brother's JCW's OSG STR clutch slip, but my friend's JCW's OSG STR clutch slips (with 5000 miles on it), and the latter doesn't have that much more power than stock.

I have also heard this from a few other people.

The stock JCW clutch doesn't slip on my tuned JCW of 25000 miles
That’s weird and disconcerting.... I’ve got 40K on my JCW with a special tune from hell and I haven’t had one slip.

I think I’ve got about 10-12K miles on my clutch... perhaps less... can’t remember exactly.

Sorry to hear that.

Mark

Old 11-20-2011, 08:38 PM
etalj
6th Gear
not at all, it's not my clutch that's slipping, it's my brother's. I just hope yours doesn't slip!

Old 11-21-2011, 04:55 PM
mrrjm
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
What will slip, the Giken clutch?

Mine don’t....

Mark
Thanks for referring Way. He's awesome. He sent me the clutch for his race car!!

Ray

Old 11-21-2011, 05:20 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mrrjm
Thanks for referring Way. He's awesome. He sent me the clutch for his race car!!

Ray

No problem... Way’s a great guy, definitely knows his shiet.

Mark

Old 11-23-2011, 07:18 PM
Tubby
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That’s weird and disconcerting.... I’ve got 40K on my JCW with a special tune from hell and I haven’t had one slip.

I think I’ve got about 10-12K miles on my clutch... perhaps less... can’t remember exactly.

Sorry to hear that.

Mark

My tuned JCW did about 12,000km on the OS Giken Clutch then has started slipping... 2000rpm in 4th gear with light throttle application and it slips badly.

In the space of approx 2000 miles the car is becoming un-driveable. About to have the original factory clutch put back in. Car has never been abused with the OS Giken clutch and only ever really done the commute to and from work. For me a very big waste of money and very disappointed in OS Giken quality and after sales care!

Old 11-23-2011, 07:31 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Ray let me know what you think when you get it installed.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-23-2011, 09:14 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tubby
My tuned JCW did about 12,000km on the OS Giken Clutch then has started slipping... 2000rpm in 4th gear with light throttle application and it slips badly.

In the space of approx 2000 miles the car is becoming un-driveable. About to have the original factory clutch put back in. Car has never been abused with the OS Giken clutch and only ever really done the commute to and from work. For me a very big waste of money and very disappointed in OS Giken quality and after sales care!

Have you contacted Giken about that? I'm sorry, but I'd be pissed as hell.... For expensive as they are, that's crazy.

Mark

Old 11-24-2011, 07:47 AM
mrrjm
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Way thanks for getting it to me in less then 2 days. And WOW the stock clutch looks like a tin can as compared to the OS. I bolted the clutch up yesterday. We're gonna put the engine in tomorrow. Hopefully it holds at 30 psi. The clutch that is.

Ray

Old 11-24-2011, 12:52 PM
Tubby
1st Gear
Have you contacted Giken about that? I'm sorry, but I'd be pissed as hell.... For expensive as they are, that's crazy.

Mark
Yes they were contacted and all I was offered was they could sell me new parts. Some crap about me being in Australia and buying from TSW in America!

Bought the Clutch/Flywheel and Diff from TSW in mid 2009. Finally had it installed middle 2010 due to medical issues and because of those medical issues never once got to run it on the track. Just the daily commute not even fast weekend runs.

No trust in their clutches anymore so why would I spend money on parts to fix it if it will do it again in 12,000 miles. Costs me $1000.00 here in Oz to drop the transmission and have someone swap the clutch and with the medical bills its not easy to find.

Mine is not the only JCW I hear this is happening on so you have to ask the question about the suitability for the JCW or their quality control!

Stock clutch never slipped in 30,000km including track time so back in it goes.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:23 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Yes they were contacted and all I was offered was they could sell me new parts. Some crap about me being in Australia and buying from TSW in America!

Bought the Clutch/Flywheel and Diff from TSW in mid 2009. Finally had it installed middle 2010 due to medical issues and because of those medical issues never once got to run it on the track. Just the daily commute not even fast weekend runs.

No trust in their clutches anymore so why would I spend money on parts to fix it if it will do it again in 12,000 miles. Costs me $1000.00 here in Oz to drop the transmission and have someone swap the clutch and with the medical bills its not easy to find.

Mine is not the only JCW I hear this is happening on so you have to ask the question about the suitability for the JCW or their quality control!

Just out of curiosity, is it 12000 miles or kilometers? It doesn’t really make a difference, it should be good either way, I’m just trying to get a mileage timeline to watch mine.

I’ve got about 12K on mine... hope ya didn’t jinx me...lol

Mark

Old 11-24-2011, 02:48 PM
mrrjm
3rd Gear

With all due respect... I'm gonna play devil's advocate. The only reason a clutch starts slipping after such low miles is improper driving habits. I just got my OS clutch yesterday. There ain't no way in hell that it's gonna slip in 12k miles.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Tubby
1st Gear
Just out of curiosity, is it 12000 miles or kilometers? It doesn’t really make a difference, it should be good either way, I’m just trying to get a mileage timeline to watch mine.

I’ve got about 12K on mine... hope ya didn’t jinx me...lol

Mark
It was roughly 12,000 miles. I put it in miles as that is what you guys generally use.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:38 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
It was roughly 12,000 miles. I put it in miles as that is what you guys generally use.
No problem, just in one post you said 12K miles and in another, it was 12K km.

Like I said, doesn’t make a difference, it had better last more than either...lol.

My tuned JCW did about 12,000km on the OS Giken Clutch then has started slipping... !

Mark

Old 11-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Tubby
1st Gear
With all due respect... I'm gonna play devil's advocate. The only reason a clutch starts slipping after such low miles is improper driving habits. I just got my OS clutch yesterday. There ain't no way in hell that it's gonna slip in 12k miles.
I hope it doesn't for you I truly do and agree with you the clutch looks amazing. Never would I have thought this! As for improper driving habits never had a clutch start slipping on me in 22 years of driving fast cars. Stock clutch looked pristine when it came out after 30,000km.

I drive 100km each day just to and from work so have covered many miles in my previous cars. Generally I trade them at around the 100,000km mark... Never have I needed to replace a clutch.

Like I & etalj has said in his post... I am not the only one with the issue on a JCW.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:56 PM
mrrjm
3rd Gear
I hope it doesn't for you I truly do and agree with you the clutch looks amazing. Never would I have thought this! As for improper driving habits never had a clutch start slipping on me in 22 years of driving fast cars. Stock clutch looked pristine when it came out after 30,000km.

I drive 100km each day just to and from work so have covered many miles in my previous cars. Generally I trade them at around the 100,000km mark... Never have I needed to replace a clutch.

Like I & etalj has said in his post... I am not the only one with the issue on a JCW.
I see. I won't be happy if this clutch only lasts 12k miles.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:55 PM
etalj
6th Gear
You can't judge whether or not a clutch is going to slip based on the way it looks.

I hope yours doesn't slip.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:05 PM
mrrjm
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by etalj
You can't judge whether or not a clutch is going to slip based on the way it looks.

I hope yours doesn't slip.
Agreed. Especially since it's quite a bit smaller than the stock JCW clutch.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:17 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Agreed. Especially since it's quite a bit smaller than the stock JCW clutch.
Maybe the revised ones don't slip. Both Mark and yourself may have been lucky and received the revised STR (which they say won't slip).

Old 11-26-2011, 08:35 AM
mrrjm
3rd Gear

Got the engine running late yesterday. Not drivable yet though. The clutch isn't heavy at all. Feels like a Honda. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised.

Ray

Old 12-04-2011, 03:32 PM
mrrjm
3rd Gear
Hi Way- After a week of driving I love the clutch. Really isn't much heavier then stock. Just engages faster then stock. I wish I would have went with the twin disc for the added strength. I need to order the lower mount stiffeners from you.

Ray

Old 12-24-2011, 08:37 AM
dez
4th Gear
very interested in the Giken Clutch. What is the "twin disc" version?

Is there a noticeable reduction in clutch chatter? At only 16k my OEM jcw clutch is sometimes super noisy

Old 12-31-2011, 01:21 PM
mrrjm
3rd Gear
No chatter. I pretty much engages instantly.

Ray

Old 05-09-2013, 07:42 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The STR and GT clutch disc are the same. The pressure plates are different in the two. The GT is softer for easier daily driver use. I like the GT clutch.
Does anybody know if there is a difference in weight between the STR and GT clutches? I know the STR is a lot lighter than stock, which is what I want, but I don't want to deal with a "on/off" clutch that's a b1tch to drive whenever I'm not at the track.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:04 AM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
I hear the STR has a heavier pedal feel as compared to the GT.

I've had the GT for over a year now and it's great on the street.

Both are lighter than stock but I'm not sure the if there's a weight difference between the STR and the GT though.

Quick Reply: OS Giken clutch vs stock JCW clutch