Electrical Countryman-Specific Coding - R60 Guide

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hyde76
Theta, I followed your instructions to update to the new datens however I have one question in the update. Step 3, when I open my daten folder (under NCSEXPER) I don't have the LADEN.BAT file to run it. I have a folder under NCSEXPER called R56 and LADEN.BAT is in that folder.

What have I messed up here and should LADEN.BAT be run from the NCSEXPER folder or the R56 folder below it? It all seemed to run fine when I first did the install.
Go ahead and run it from the R56 directory. That may be my fault for not going into more detail.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:36 AM
threar
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, I've made the change to correct the speedometer overestimate, but noticed some weirdness. Has anyone else noticed that the center dash big ol' speedo doesn't match the numerical display when the speed is on the Tach? Also, I noticed that when I go to use cruise control, I have to set the cruise control to 3MPH over the speed I want.

Is there another setting I'm missing that puts all of these back in synch?

Old 01-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Theta
6th Gear
That's not a bug or a glitch you're seeing - that's perfectly normal.

The setting allows for the digital readout to display the correct speed, but does not change the mechanical read-outs on the vehicle (the speedo cluster, etc). Messing with that is just as big of a no-no as messing with the odometer.

If it's a big deal, just turn the setting back off and remember that it reads 3mph high.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've spent some time following similar issues on the bimmerforums. Folks there tried adjusting a lot of ancillary settings (e.g.; impulses per km, etc.) and still did not get the other speedo to read "un-korrected" speed.

Being a bit on the cautious side, I'm not going to go changing unknown settings to try to get the other speedo to match the digital one. In fact, as theta mentioned, I may just put mine back to the 2-3 over default.

BTW - I checked the digital speed after coding and it matched my Nüvi 255 GPS.

Next coding task: preparing for undesirable guests by setting PASSAGIER_SCHLEUDERSITZ to aktiv in the JATO module.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:56 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Koopah
Next coding task: preparing for undesirable guests by setting PASSAGIER_SCHLEUDERSITZ to aktiv in the JATO module.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:15 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
I took a leisurely stroll through the CHAMP module last night and found a very interesting setting:

NAVI_MAPMODE_AUTOMATIC
nicht_aktiv

Well, this looks promising...perhaps a fix for the Navigation system requiring a manual switch-over to night mode. Wouldn't it be great if this was automatic when the auto-headlights come on? So I made the change to "aktiv" in the CHAMP module and....well....partial success. If I now go into the Map>Settings, I see three checkboxes: Day Mode, Night Mode, and...wait for it...Automatic!

However, tonight the auto-headlights came on and the map did not change. Hmmm. That setting was just for the additional menu option to appear in the map settings. There must be some other setting for having the Navi sense the activation of the auto-headlights -- unless it's a wiring issue like the R60 alarm heartbeat.

Tonight I found another entry in the CHAMP module:

HEADLIGHT_SETTING
nicht_aktiv

Guess what I be doing tomorrow night? Has anyone tried to make the navi auto day/night mode work automatically?

Old 01-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
UPDATE:

So, toggling HEADLIGHT_SETTING didn't do the trick.

I've been reading the BMWCoding forum and found some other folks who have been trying this without luck. I see no reason to continue so I will reset both the options back to "nicht_aktiv".

Back to the drawing board...

Old 01-26-2012, 09:00 PM
Sliksunny
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for trying things out!
I have an audi s5 that uses the vcds coding So i have the hex+can cable would that work in the mini

Old 01-31-2012, 03:52 AM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by theta
Theta did u receive/read my PM?

Old 01-31-2012, 02:12 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Nimrandir
Theta did u receive/read my PM?
Just did a few moments ago. PM me your email address and I'll send you everything I have on it (which is extensive).

Old 02-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Bit of a cross-post here but does anyone have a KOMBI trace file from an R60 that displays the odometer and the trip odometer at the same time in the lower tach display?

With my 11/2011 build and a couple of other dealer re-programmed R60s, a change was made so that the trip odometer no longer displays on the same screen as the odometer. I'm wondering if the difference is due to a new change in the KOMBI settings.

TIA,

Old 02-07-2012, 12:50 AM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear
Just did a few moments ago. PM me your email address and I'll send you everything I have on it (which is extensive).
done!

Old 02-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Theta/GeoffreyM -

I'm selectively replacing my incandescent bulbs with LEDs. First, the running lights, then the turn signals, then the brake lights. I will be coding out the LEDs in stages to preserve the bulb checks for the remaining bulbs.

This brings me to the purpose of my post. Kudos to theta for developing the full list of bulb checks in the first post, but I was wondering which settings control which lights? I think I've got the KZL_M2_49 pegged for the license plate lights, but I was wondering about the others.

NCS Dummy isn't much help as it doesn't give a clue as to front/back/left/right for the other lights! I suppose I could replace the lights one-by-one and use trial-and-error to identify the proper settings. However, if anyone already knows which lights are assigned to the settings in the first post, that would be just ducky! Any enlightenment would help immensely...

Old 02-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Edited -- Scratch that!!

AL = Low Beams (Abblendlicht)
FL = High Beams (Fernlicht)
WL = Welcome Lights
SL = Parking Lights (Standlicht)
NSW = Fog Lights (Nebelscheinwerfer)
POL = Corner Lights
KZL = License Plate (Kennzeichenleuchte)
FRA = Puddle Lights (Fußraumausleuchtung)
TFL = Daytime Running Lights (Tagfahrlicht)
NSL = Rear Fog Lights (Nebelschlussleuchte)
BL = Brake Lights (Bremsleuchten)

Last edited by Theta; 02-16-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Also, in the process now of updating all the items on the front page for future reference.

EDIT: Finally done - Front page completely updated with specific bulbs.

Last edited by Theta; 02-16-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:29 PM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Or........you can just code them all out and walk around your car once a month for a bulb check. It's small. :-)

Theta has a lot more free time than I do. HAHA!

Old 02-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Theta
6th Gear
That was my original response, as well.

Decided to go the extra mile for good measure. I need more good karma with the Mini gods if I'm going to buy another one.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:33 PM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
I have to take mine in for the recall and new brake pads. I know they are going to recode it. I can't wait to see all the warnings that go off when they are done. HAHA!

Old 02-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Theta
6th Gear
My service manager chewed my *** out after they re-coded mine recently... Best of luck that your experience is better.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Geez! Off the grid for a few days and miracles happened! Thanks theta for all the research.

I actually cross-referenced several sources (including an NCS Dummy trace log for the FRM module) and put together a few of these. I never got to resolve the WL (duh!), POL, and FRA.

I did uncover some FRM references in support of:

IB & KL - likely reference interior lights
SML - a vestigial reference to angel eyes!
BFD - brake force display lights (BMW multi-LED cluster where braking force, as reported by the ABS module, determines the number of LEDs lit in the cluster: more force = more LEDs)
BLM - may be interpreted as brake light middle (3rd brake light)? [unsure]

I think that the RFS designation belongs to the turn signal lights. Does that seem logical? I'll know tomorrow since I'll be changing out the parking lamps and the turn signal lamps. Update coming...

Last edited by Koopah; 02-18-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:02 PM
youthanasia
3rd Gear
My service manager chewed my *** out after they re-coded mine recently... Best of luck that your experience is better.
I thought changing one or two params are undetectable? Was it a particular code that gave it away?

I haven't coded anything yet as my carport and driveway is being renovated and I'm parked on the street. Already got my recall done this week.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:55 AM
Theta
6th Gear
I have really bad stories about my service stuff... not really going to delve into that.

Let's put it this way - if you have all LED lights and they re-code, the car will basically crap itself and choke you with bulb warnings and errors. That kind of gave it away.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:08 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can a more expensive, higher end LED be used without resistors and the need for coding?

Old 02-19-2012, 06:47 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
We have been debating that and I say yes. The 42 light tower that superbrightleds.com sells does not trip the cars computer in my experience, but I think that a couple of the members say that is not the case. I had 18 bulb towers as reverse lights that kept setting off the computer before I learned how to code them out. I switched to 42 light towers and it stopped going off. The wedge style bulbs can be replaced with CANBUS bulbs that trick the computer as well. Some of it is trial and error. Whole thread on that too.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Theta
6th Gear
Yep - please visit our other thread(s) on that.

Lot of good info there.

Quick Reply: Electrical Countryman-Specific Coding - R60 Guide