Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical NCSExpert DIY(do it yourself)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 11:12 AM
trekker44
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vin is Fulty error message

Addition info from my post above. The actual error message displayed after selecting R56 and CAS is:

Vin is Faulty
COAPI-2000 EDIABAS or SGBD Error
IFH-0003 Data Transfer Host/Interface disturbed

Any thoughts out there?

Old 07-26-2011, 07:36 PM
MINIFIDE
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by trekker44
Addition info from my post above. The actual error message displayed after selecting R56 and CAS is:

Vin is Faulty
COAPI-2000 EDIABAS or SGBD Error
IFH-0003 Data Transfer Host/Interface disturbed

Any thoughts out there?
Same thing happened to Geoffrey and I when he tried my R60. He did his just fine and I believe another R56 fresh off the lot, but we got that error code on mine (on three separate occasions). Still don't have any answers as to why.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:47 AM
trekker44
Neutral
Hooray, the solution to my problem was to take the cable connector apart and unsolder pins 7 and 8 which were soldered together. It now works perfectly. This fix applies to a 2011 MCC S. There's a great forum to visit on this topic: http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread....-Cable-problem. These guys are frigging awesome!! Good luck.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:45 AM
dracon
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heya guys, some of you might know me from the BMW coding forums but I'm starting to look at doing coding work on the Mini models now as well.

The reason why you are needing to unsolider pins 7 and 8 on the interface for the new 2011 Mini's is because BMW has repurposed pin 8 on the connector for Ethernet. They did the same thing in 2009 for the BMW models to support ENET (EDIABAS Ethernet) for the new CIC units and all the new F series chassis.

Honestly, you should only need to have pins 7 and 8 connected together for the R52, R53 and R54 chassis, everything else doesn't need pin 8 at all.

People looking to buy a new cable, I would recommend the vendor we use over at bmwcoding. It comes with pins 7 and 8 disconnected and provides an adapter to bridge 7 and 8 for older cars.

http://www.bmwcoding.com/showwiki.ph...DCAN+USB+Cable

There's also I small guide I put together that shows which chassis require pins 7 and 8 bridged for proper operation.

http://www.bmwcoding.com/showwiki.ph...ired+per+model

Old 08-08-2011, 01:38 AM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Guys... when coding your vehicle, did anyone encountered an error with module DSC? If I try to access the module from NCSExpert, I get a communication error and an error code on my CCC saying that "Safety systems have failed. Vehicle in emergency mode. Visit your nearest MINI dealer."

Anw... If I go to INPA, I can clear the codes and the car is back on fully functional. Maybe i need a different ECU file for the DSC?? I know that V40 (ECU) wouldn't communicate with the DME either, which v32 did. Using EDIABAS 7.2...

Old 08-08-2011, 10:10 AM
dracon
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MINIFIDE
Same thing happened to Geoffrey and I when he tried my R60. He did his just fine and I believe another R56 fresh off the lot, but we got that error code on mine (on three separate occasions). Still don't have any answers as to why.
Heya Mini owners!

I'm starting to get into the Mini side of coding for my parents '09 MCS and '11 MCC S 4ALL. I've been coding/programming BMW's for quite some time. (Some of you might recognize my name from over at the BMW coding forums).

BMW has repurposed pin 8 on the OBD connector to be an ethernet pin (they made the same change to the E90 BMW's starting in 2009).

If you have a cable with pins 7 and 8 bridged together (referred to as a double K-Line) and only needed for the R52, R53, and R54 chassis, you need to unsolder the pins on the cable to separate them and everything will work fine.

Most cable vendors are now selling their K+DCAN cables without pins 7 & 8 soldered together and provide an adapter to bridges 7+8 together for the older cars.

I have pretty good knowledge of the BMW coding side sans a couple of things the commercial coders keep to themselves. So I look forward to being able to help where I can.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:42 PM
donuttang
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by alexs3d2
Guys... when coding your vehicle, did anyone encountered an error with module DSC? If I try to access the module from NCSExpert, I get a communication error and an error code on my CCC saying that "Safety systems have failed. Vehicle in emergency mode. Visit your nearest MINI dealer."

Anw... If I go to INPA, I can clear the codes and the car is back on fully functional. Maybe i need a different ECU file for the DSC?? I know that V40 (ECU) wouldn't communicate with the DME either, which v32 did. Using EDIABAS 7.2...

How do you do the clear codes in INPA, I don't see any option to read and clear code....

Old 08-09-2011, 01:21 AM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by donuttang
How do you do the clear codes in INPA, I don't see any option to read and clear code....
Select your chassis (shift+F3 in INPA EA90X), go to Functional Jobs, then F1 reads the Error Code memory from all modules and either F2 or F3 clears it (dont remeber exactly, but it is written somewhere there). If you have german version then look for the following:

FS is short for Fehlerspeicher (Error memory)
FS LESEN means "read error memory"
FS LÖSCHEN means "erase error memory"

You can do the same think by selecting each individual module and inidividually selecting erasing the errors of each module.

Sometimes, the error may keep coming back if you do not reset the module after erasing the error memory. Happened to me when I upgraded my CAS to v40 DATEN status and the EPS would keep giving an error. Had to go into EPS and erase the memories there in order to get it back up.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:51 AM
donuttang
3rd Gear
i have this screen, is this the version you mention?

Attached Thumbnails NCSExpert DIY(do it yourself)-mini_inpa.jpg  
Old 08-09-2011, 06:04 AM
dracon
1st Gear
Originally Posted by donuttang
i have this screen, is this the version you mention?
You don't have any scripts loaded into INPA, you need to grab one the EA-90X INPA installers and install the scripts.

Do a google for EA-90X and you should find it.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Tikigod
3rd Gear
requested access - looking forward to trying this out

Old 08-28-2011, 03:34 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tikigod
requested access - looking forward to trying this out
Granted - Cheers

Old 08-29-2011, 05:04 AM
TiggerGTO
3rd Gear
Hey Dracon (or anybody else that can help),
Please take a look at the thread I started last week: Problem coding FRM/FRM2

Edited to add:
I just read some notes about the pin 7/8 on certain cables. I have seen the VIN error, but I have also been able to code some of the tables already. I need to look at my cable to see if the pins are connected. It did not come with the adapter, so I suspect that they are connected. Could this possibly be contributing to the problem I am describing in my thread?

Thanks,
Danny

Last edited by TiggerGTO; 08-29-2011 at 05:18 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:22 AM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
if it is not the right cable, you might get an error... Are you able to get a cable from someone to check it out ? otherwise check the "beginners" thread (you posted on it too) theres a link to the cable, they are pretty cheap compare to what I paid lol
keep us posted (fiy I was on vacation, didn't ignore ur msg)

Old 08-31-2011, 08:41 AM
TiggerGTO
3rd Gear
I checked my cable, and it does have pins 7 and 8 bridged, but I have also successfully coded changes in three different tables:

CAS: KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB to close windows/roof from fob
INHKA: KLIMA_MIT_AUTO to disable A/C engagement when pressing auto button
SHD: SCHIEBEHEBEDACH_TIPP_AUF, _SENK, _ZU, and _HEB to get two-touch sun roof operation

I only seem to be having problems with attempting to code values in FRM2. So, even though I have the cheaper cable with the pins bridged, I don't think the cable is the problem.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:43 AM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
did you try CAS - FRM ... not FRM2

Old 08-31-2011, 10:17 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TiggerGTO
Hey Dracon (or anybody else that can help),
Please take a look at the thread I started last week: Problem coding FRM/FRM2

Edited to add:
I just read some notes about the pin 7/8 on certain cables. I have seen the VIN error, but I have also been able to code some of the tables already. I need to look at my cable to see if the pins are connected. It did not come with the adapter, so I suspect that they are connected. Could this possibly be contributing to the problem I am describing in my thread?

Thanks,
Danny
The 7,8 thing certainly could be a problem. What year is your car and what version of the datens are you using? I ask because mine is a 2011 and I had to go to V41 before I could code any of what you are talking about.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:10 PM
TiggerGTO
3rd Gear
My car is a 2011 JCW Hardtop. I'm currently on V41, but I was able to do the coding I've already accomplished with either V38 or V40. I can't remember exactly when I put down V40.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:50 PM
TiggerGTO
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by GTECKO
did you try CAS - FRM ... not FRM2
Yes, and this is where part of the confusion comes in. If I look at the spreadsheets, it says to code:

FRM2: TUERAUF_STOP_MAUT change to nicht_activ to disable the window up interruption when opening a door

FRM2: FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ change to nicht_activ to allow fog lights to be on while the high beams are on

Using both V40 and V41 datens, I have not been able to find a module named FRM2 to read. I can only find FRM. If I read FRM, there is not a TUERAUF_STOP_MAUT value, but there is a FH_TUERAUF_STOP_MAUT_3R value. I tried changing that to nicht_activ. In this table, there is a FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ value which I also changed to nicht_activ. When I wrote these updated values back to FRM, they seemed to have no affect. I tried reading the module back again, and it contained the changed values, so I believe I coded them successfully.

BTW, your online spreadsheet looks like somebody accidentally blanked out the value in C10 and moved what used to be in C10 into C11. In other words, what used to say TUERAUF_STOP_MAUT is now blank, and where it used to say DOPPELBLINKIMPULS_WARNBLK now says TUERAUF_STOP_MAUT. I haven't looked at the online spreadsheet for a while, so I don't know when it changed. I'm comparing it to a printed spreadsheet that I have.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:01 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
BTW, your online spreadsheet looks like somebody accidentally blanked out the value in C10 and moved what used to be in C10 into C11. In other words, what used to say TUERAUF_STOP_MAUT is now blank, and where it used to say DOPPELBLINKIMPULS_WARNBLK now says TUERAUF_STOP_MAUT. I haven't looked at the online spreadsheet for a while, so I don't know when it changed. I'm comparing it to a printed spreadsheet that I have.
Fixed it, thanks !!
as for your FRM problem,I never encounter it...is it a 2011 issue then ...hopefully some members can enlighten you

Old 09-03-2011, 02:32 PM
wai_jai268
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi all,

Looking for help here. I am able to set up NCS Expert but I am not able to disable DRL. I am in Canada, and my car build date is 05/2011

In the FRM module, i have:

VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL_3R
drl_l

If i change it to

VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL_3R
drl_tfl_off

After executing the code, it will revert back to:

VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL_3R
drl_l

Do I need to delete the "3R"?

Thanks!

***EDIT***
So I tried the second approach of changing the VO and removing option $838 for DRL Canadian, then "default" other modules by coding all modules. Then I have this warning sign display which shows a vehicle with the trunk open (?) with a exclaimation mark next to it! The original gong changed to the ones you hear from VW, and the speedo and fuel gauge doesn't work no more. What should I do????? Help! DID i just brick my car?

Last edited by wai_jai268; 09-03-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:28 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I was going to suggest to remove the Canada country code, because that has been successful in the past. My gut feel is that you may have changed something else in the VO by accident. And just to be sure, you changed the VO string in both the FRM and CAS modules before defaulting all modules?

Hopefully you have a copy of your original VO string? When you connect NCS expert it writes the entire VO out to a text file in the work directory.

You can always try putting the $838 back in and re-defaulting. Defaulting the modules should be a safe procedure, and it should be fixable. Don't freak out just yet.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:00 AM
TiggerGTO
3rd Gear
How do you default a module? Do you just write a zero-length .man file to the module?

Old 09-06-2011, 10:05 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
How do you default a module? Do you just write a zero-length .man file to the module?
Nope.

Turn off tracefile manipulation in the profile editor. Then program the module or vehicle (as if you were programing a trace file).

What this does is "defaults" the module, the module re-reads the VO string and sets all of the settings accordingly. Like region settings, options, etc.

Password to edit the profile is repxet

Last edited by strobeyprobey; 09-06-2011 at 04:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aabcds (06-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2011, 03:34 PM
wai_jai268
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
I was going to suggest to remove the Canada country code, because that has been successful in the past. My gut feel is that you may have changed something else in the VO by accident. And just to be sure, you changed the VO string in both the FRM and CAS modules before defaulting all modules?

Hopefully you have a copy of your original VO string? When you connect NCS expert it writes the entire VO out to a text file in the work directory.

You can always try putting the $838 back in and re-defaulting. Defaulting the modules should be a safe procedure, and it should be fixable. Don't freak out just yet.

I have a dealer update done back in July 2011, don't know if it makes a difference, some people at E90 forum say it does, because it will cause a conflict with daten V41.

Anyways, what I did was FA Write CAS and FRM taking out VO $838 in expert mode, then change to Revtor profile, and default all modules without removing the enable tracefile editor(? whats that?), then it gives me the error and malfunctions.

WHen you say original VO string, you mean the big tracefile in works folder, or just the tracefile each time I read a module (the smaller tracefile).

What do you think the dealer will say if I brough the car in?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Electrical NCSExpert DIY(do it yourself)