Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Removing the muffler while keeping the resonator (JCW)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 04:53 PM
DutchMini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing the muffler while keeping the resonator (JCW)?

Hi guys,

I've been thinking about a dual ball delete mod on my JCW 210:
Engine > Janspeed manifold > stock cat > resonator > straight pipe to the back.

Right now, there are 2 parallel mufflers after the resonator (stock JCW catback) and i've read this whole catback weighs approximately 28 kg's and i think the biggest weight loss would be the mufflers.

I'm asking, because i'm afraid the sound will be way too loud since a friend of mine decatted his R53 and it was very loud with no silencers, so is the stock cat and resonator enough to keep a reasonable level of noise?

Does someone have experience with this specific mod and can i expect a bit of a power gain?

Old 01-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
I just did this modification on Monday. I had a shop make me a new non-resonated mid-pipe and set it up unwelded so I can swap them out on my own.

It's still a pretty quiet exhaust in my opinion. It is noticeably louder than before under acceleration and the pops and cracks are louder and not as refined on decel. It's still nowhere near what I would call loud.

There's a car in my neighborhood that has a sensitive alarm system. My truck and all my bikes will set off the alarm just cruising by it. It doesn't even chirp when the Mini goes by. It's not loud at all. I'd prefer louder but the shop charged be $100 to make a new SS mid-pipe. To get something like an Invidia is significantly more. That's a set of summer wheels and tires instead!

Here are some links for you...

leaving-jcw-exhaust-and-removing-resonator

jcw-exhaust-resonator-removal

anyone-cut-their-resonator-off-the-jcw-exhaust

another-jcm-resonator-delete-question