Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Preparing to do temp delta gauge install

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 05:07 PM
MatthewMenze
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Preparing to do temp delta gauge install

Hello,

So soon I am going to be installing a dual intake temp gauge from Glowshift to monitor the temp delta of my intercooler. I feel it will be a nice gauge along side a boost gauge. How the gauge works is there are two temp sensors you install before and after your intercooler, each sensor controls one needle on the gauge face, providing an intuitive way to monitor intercooler performance.

Here is the gauge for reference: http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/white...ure-gauge.aspx

Before I do the actual install, I want to have it well planned out. My current sticking point is where to install the sensors, with the following goals in mind:

1. Not sticking out extremely obviously, I want it to look somewhat close to stock.
2. Relatively easy install, ideally I don't wanna have to tear apart entire car to do this. It is just a gauge after all. (Rough cap of 3-4 hours total install)
3. Good working install, I want it to both read temp of inlet and outlet well, while not posing reliability issues to my car. (no JB Weld!)

So far I have narrowed it down to two likely spots (though open to ideas!):

1. This is the easiest if doable, tap into the 'tanks' on either side of the intercooler, or braze/solder a bung onto the tank. I have no problem with this option so long as there is a nice flat spot to do so on the back side of end tanks.
2. Tap into back side of intercooler horns. This is the ideal spot, but I believe it would require me to pull the supercharger for the inlet horn (if not, let me know!). Though it could well be possible to just stuff some rags down the inlet, tap the hole, then carefully clean inlet of shavings.

My questions are, does anyone have experience tapping into the tanks of the intercooler? I know this is a somewhat common thing with larger intercoolers for various sensors and such. Even some pictures of the tanks, especially from that back side edge of the intercooler would help me in this descison.

Also, has anyone experience in removing the inlet horn, or tapping it for a sensor?

Any other thoughts or insights you would like to provide would be wonderful. I like to go into an install with as much knowledge as possible. Once it is done, I will be sure to post a write up, and review.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 12-22-2014, 05:26 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I would say tapping into the tanks of the intercooler will be a no no. they are usually sheet aluminum, and I believe the temp sensors are threaded, so you wouldn't be able to put them in. the supercharger horns have some thickness to them. this is where most people tap into for meth injection. if you wanted to braze the sensors on there, that could create issues if you damage the sensors. as for the horns, taking them off should be that hard, or you leave them attached and use a vacume to get the metal bits from drilling and tapping out before you start your motor,

I also intend on installing this gauge at some point =)

Old 12-22-2014, 08:28 AM
MatthewMenze
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was what I was thinking. I would drill the hole on the supercharger horn with the horn attached, using a greased bit and tap to hold most of the metal. Then vacuum/clean it out. I would probably stick rags in the horn first, and pull them out after as well.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:57 AM
soccerbummer1104
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
one in each horn is probably your best bet. (you can move the downstream one to the intake manifold if you would like as well)

just use one of the flat spots on the casting that was used for machining the mating surfaces. (flat spots from casting. )

Usually a little thicker here as it is a "mounting" boss and should tap nicely

If you want one welded on let me know and we can work something out. with a pretty quick turn around. (but unless you are close to upstate, SC it would require shipping )

Old 04-22-2015, 11:47 AM
jbkone
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you do this yet? I want to hear your temps, then I want you to install a different air diverter and show the results. Then ....