Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 12:11 PM
PorscheMini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If he needs a GPII to test this on, i'd be happy to give it a go! Just gotta get it to me in Alaska and it'll go right on.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:43 PM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
Is it one of the '13 jcw GPII? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the jb+ is even designed for that since the jcw just switched to the n18. It already puts out crazy good numbers as is though. Isn't it something 220tq stock.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:53 PM
PorscheMini
2nd Gear
Yes, it's an N18 engine stuck in there. Already pretty quick, but I'd love to put a tune on it...

Old 08-15-2013, 06:28 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Already put my name on the list for this. Checked around and you guys are right BMS's reputation is top notch. Shoot them an e-mail and they'll let you know as soon as its ready. I'm not a patient person and the $300 reserved for this is burning a hole in my pocket lol.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:30 AM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by louhomsher
Already put my name on the list for this. Checked around and you guys are right BMS's reputation is top notch. Shoot them an e-mail and they'll let you know as soon as its ready. I'm not a patient person and the $300 reserved for this is burning a hole in my pocket lol.
while there hasn't been much posted on the forum, i can attest to the fact that terry is working on perfecting the JB+. i know it's not fun waiting when there's minimal chatter on the subject, but hang tight.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:33 PM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
quick question for anyone with the can tool. I just got mine set up and have a few questions. It'd be convenient if someone more adapt at this than me should start a mini specific can tool thread.

1) it seems when going through the options that my tach is just slightly under the actual number i'm selecting by about 200rpm or so. while i haven't had a change to take the car out, does this affect the accuracy when setting the shift light? and for anyone else with a n18 what have you set your shift light at? the can tool came pre programed for about 6300 it looked like. but i know that quite a few people have theirs set at 5900. I set mine at 5900.

2) so for my 2011 which dash do i have? I don't have an oil temp gauge so i don't know if it's the regular or the type 2.

3) Right now i have my gas gauge set to timing so i can see how heat soak affects the car pulling timing but can someone inform me on what the units of measurements each sections refers to? is empty 0 degrees of timing and each light 1 degree or 2 degrees? and how much timing advance should i have on a stock ecu. Also If i were to set it to afr, what are the units of measurement for this? I've been looking but can't find anything set.

Thank you for your time

Old 08-15-2013, 01:21 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Hello, the dash 2 option is new, I'll have to ask Terry about that. I do know that folks with the Mini Connected Screen(me) have extremely slow readings as the speedo needle doesn't move as fast as those without it. Dash type 2 might be re calibrated for those with the screen, to speed up the needle? Or it could be for N14's, as Terry just enabled that for them. Again, I'll ask.

I haven't been able to use the speedo for any readings because it is just too slow to move over to where it needs to be.

As for the fuel gauge, the only increments I know for that is: first acorn is 10psi, then every other acorn that's lit up is another 1psi. You might be better off using that for boost, and the big speedo for other readings.

Do you have Mini Connected or just a regular speedo?

The tach numbers are spot on for me, but the speedo needle is off by a few RPM's.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:50 PM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Hello, the dash 2 option is new, I'll have to ask Terry about that. I do know that folks with the Mini Connected Screen(me) have extremely slow readings as the speedo needle doesn't move as fast as those without it. Dash type 2 might be re calibrated for those with the screen, to speed up the needle? Or it could be for N14's, as Terry just enabled that for them. Again, I'll ask.

I haven't been able to use the speedo for any readings because it is just too slow to move over to where it needs to be.

As for the fuel gauge, the only increments I know for that is: first acorn is 10psi, then every other acorn that's lit up is another 1psi. You might be better off using that for boost, and the big speedo for other readings.

Do you have Mini Connected or just a regular speedo?

The tach numbers are spot on for me, but the speedo needle is off by a few RPM's.
I have the regular speedo. just curious as there was no real information on http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...06&postcount=1 for mini specific

Old 08-15-2013, 02:10 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
As long as you have the ECU set for N18 and have it at dash 1 you should be good to go.

We can use settings 1 and 3. We can't use 2 because for whatever reason Mini decided not to give us an Oil Temp gauge >=\.
But you are right, there isn't much info on what increments translate to on the dash.

I actually just got a reply from
Terry, he said he recalls dash type 2 being for people with the screen on the speedo.

As for the shift light, he set it to 5900 for me.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:31 PM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
As long as you have the ECU set for N18 and have it at dash 1 you should be good to go.

We can use settings 1 and 3. We can't use 2 because for whatever reason Mini decided not to give us an Oil Temp gauge >=\.
But you are right, there isn't much info on what increments translate to on the dash.

I actually just got a reply from
Terry, he said he recalls dash type 2 being for people with the screen on the speedo.

As for the shift light, he set it to 5900 for me.
Sounds good. So i just took the car out for a spin and I had a few problems. i'll try to explain them the best i can. so first gear i get on it and pull about 8psi and then i back off a little. If i get on it again there is roughly a 1.5 second delay for the speedo to register my boost. like floor or for a second or two to build up boost then get off. well the speedo doesn't sweep for boost until after i let off. and each time. the initial flooring it to kick in the dash hack reads great. but if i play around with the throttle after that there is a pretty big delay. Does it take a while for the can tool to adapt? this is slightly disheartening as i passed up getting a mechanical boost gauge for this so i can read my codes and clear my downpipe code when i install it.

Last edited by HorizonBLueN18; 08-15-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:38 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by HorizonBLueN18
Sounds good. So i just took the car out for a spin and I had a few problems. i'll try to explain them the best i can. so first gear i get on it and pull about 8psi and then i back off a little. If i get on it again there is roughly a 1.5 second delay for the speedo to register my boost. like floor or for a second or two to build up boost then get off. well the speedo doesn't sweep for boost until after i let off. and each time. the initial flooring it to kick in the dash hack reads great. but if i play around with the throttle after that there is a pretty big delay. Does it take a while for the can tool to adapt? this is slightly disheartening as i passed up getting a mechanical boost gauge for this so i can read my codes and clear my downpipe code when i install it.
hmm...i can't say that i've come across that issue with the can tool on my mini yet. i'll keep an eye on it and let you know my findings, if any.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:45 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear

Hmmm....I've always had it read boost on the fuel gauge. The fact that Terry told me the exact increments for the fuel gauge to read boost sorta leads me to believe it was meant to be there. I could be very wrong here.

Try setting the boost to read on the fuel gauge, and have the speedo read something else, then go for a spin again and see if it acts funky again.
If it does then I would contact Terry and let him know what you're experiencing.

I think someone on here had to send their CAN tool back to get a new one. Not sure if its a bad batch that was made or what.
Be sure that it's been programmed for n18, dash 1. Make sure the connection to the OBD and CAN tool are snug...just to be sure =)

Old 08-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Kaline
1st Gear
Can anyone speak to how effective the CAN tool is at clearing the downpipe related code (and keeping the CEL from returning)?

Old 08-15-2013, 02:58 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Kaline
Can anyone speak to how effective the CAN tool is at clearing the downpipe related code (and keeping the CEL from returning)?
Works like a charm, I'm catless and it hasn't popped up once!

Old 08-15-2013, 02:58 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Kaline
terry has told me on a couple of different occasions that the CAN tool will keep all passive CEL lights off. the light that would be triggered by a downpipe is passive. i'd take his word for it. the guy knows what he's doing.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Is it one of the '13 jcw GPII? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the jb+ is even designed for that since the jcw just switched to the n18. It already puts out crazy good numbers as is though. Isn't it something 220tq stock.
192 lb.-ft. of torque at 1750 rpm and for short periods it can produce 207 lb.-ft. from 2000 rpm with an over boost function.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:25 PM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
Ok so I took it out for a trip with the settings the same way as before. And while on the highway the dash hacked and didn't unhack after I got off boost. It stayed at 0mph and an empty tank for about 5 minutes. I got off at the off ramp and it took 2 stoplights for the speedo to come back to life but I had to turn the car off to get my gas gauge back to life. I'm out to eat right now but it sounds like I have to send terry an e mail when I get home.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:09 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Ok so I took it out for a trip with the settings the same way as before. And while on the highway the dash hacked and didn't unhack after I got off boost. It stayed at 0mph and an empty tank for about 5 minutes. I got off at the off ramp and it took 2 stoplights for the speedo to come back to life but I had to turn the car off to get my gas gauge back to life. I'm out to eat right now but it sounds like I have to send terry an e mail when I get home.
Yea that's definitely not normal.
You'll most likely be getting a new one sent out to you!

Old 08-15-2013, 05:19 PM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
Yea that's definitely not normal.
You'll most likely be getting a new one sent out to you!
Update: on the way home from dinner it did the same thing as before where the dash hack never unlocked. So when i got home i unplugged the can tool. uploaded everything back through. checked all my settings and i did 2 pulls and all works according to plan. I didn't do any off throttle back on throttle to see if it would mess up again but i did 2 1st-2nd gear pulls and it worked fine and flipped out of dash hack like it was supposed to. i'll keep ya'll updated. i'll play with it on the way to work tomorrow.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:21 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Update: on the way home from dinner it did the same thing as before where the dash hack never unlocked. So when i got home i unplugged the can tool. uploaded everything back through. checked all my settings and i did 2 pulls and all works according to plan. I didn't do any off throttle back on throttle to see if it would mess up again but i did 2 1st-2nd gear pulls and it worked fine and flipped out of dash hack like it was supposed to. i'll keep ya'll updated. i'll play with it on the way to work tomorrow.
just make sure all the connections are tight. the other day when i was driving, the can tool just popped off the connector b/c it wasn't properly secured to the cable. good luck!

Old 08-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Camthewookie
3rd Gear
I really can't wait for this to be ready for market...

Old 08-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Azminispeedin
3rd Gear
Email Terry, he will reply very quickly to any concern.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:47 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Camthewookie
I really can't wait for this to be ready for market...
+1 - I'm there when it comes out

Old 08-16-2013, 07:49 AM
MiniLynsk
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't wait for the jb+ for my countryman s!!

Old 08-16-2013, 08:10 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To anyone who is running a DP, I'm curious if your dyno results will be shown even though the numbers indicate it's just 20hp/30tq. That will be the interesting aspect of this tune.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)