Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 05:59 PM
jkool44
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great to hear about the codes. I am very excited about this. I only get the P0420 code, it will be nice not having the light on my dash even though I am getting used to it. I am waiting to talk to Jeff first though.

Also any thought on an E85 tune and what it might produce in power?

Old 08-18-2010, 06:32 PM
pillar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SimpsonGI
I love the Pop and Burble effect of my ALTA tune! It is a real head turner. It is also very nice not having to deal with the CELs that I used to get due to my ALTA downpipe. Nicely done Jeff!
You keep talking about this pop and burble.... did I miss that youtube video? I would looove to hear it from an R56

Old 08-18-2010, 06:38 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by pillar
You keep talking about this pop and burble.... did I miss that youtube video? I would looove to hear it from an R56
I posted a couple of hyperlinks in the other thread to some audio clips I took earlier today. Here you go. These are m4a files that should play in either Itunes or Windows Media Player if downloaded. Depending on the browser you are using it may retain the .mov file wrapping in that case it will play in Quicktime.

I managed to get a couple of halfway decent sound clips of my exhaust today. I used the iPhone 4 Voice Memo app to record these. I had my pilot's (driver's) side window partially down while recording. If you turn up the volume a little bit and listen close you can hear some of the P&B effect in the exhaust sound.

These links will only be active for 30 days and if the data transfer amount gets to high, it might be cut off sooner.

Clip 1
Clip 2

One is 44 seconds long, the other just shy of a minute.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:04 PM
FredR53
1st Gear
I've got the cash for this too bad it isn't for the R53s yet...I almost want to buy one just in case you guys don't offer a discount if/when you do this for the R53s.

I am still excited about this though, don't get me wrong.

Cheers to all you lucky ones!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:15 PM
pillar
5th Gear
I posted a couple of hyperlinks in the other thread to some audio clips I took earlier today. Here you go. These are m4a files that should play in either Itunes or Windows Media Player if downloaded. Depending on the browser you are using it may retain the .mov file wrapping in that case it will play in Quicktime.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:56 PM
phantasms
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
GREAT...COMPETITION!!!

Now all these tunes will start getting cheaper. I tuned my way more expensive cars of the past for far cheaper.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:57 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by jkool44
Great to hear about the codes. I am very excited about this. I only get the P0420 code, it will be nice not having the light on my dash even though I am getting used to it. I am waiting to talk to Jeff first though.

Also any thought on an E85 tune and what it might produce in power?
Talk to me! We put up a new live chat section on our site, or you can use AIM to chat with me anytime ALTAPERRIN is my AIM!

Regarding E85. The beauty with the Cooper S and JCW is that the ECU targets an Air Fuel ratio. So you can dump in E85 and the ECU will actually tune it to the same LAmbda. The only issue is that e85 requires more fuel than normal gas and i am not sure where the limits of the fuel pump and injectors are. But that is something we can actually tune for now! An e85 tune would make great TQ and power! Esspecially with bigger turbo!

Very nice!

Originally Posted by FredR53
I've got the cash for this too bad it isn't for the R53s yet...I almost want to buy one just in case you guys don't offer a discount if/when you do this for the R53s.

I am still excited about this though, don't get me wrong.

Cheers to all you lucky ones!
We have been getting alot of customers asking that is for sure!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:05 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by phantasms
GREAT...COMPETITION!!!

Now all these tunes will start getting cheaper. I tuned my way more expensive cars of the past for far cheaper.
Competition is good! BUt only if we were competing at the same level. The ALTA AccessPORT compared to other tuning tools is like
MLB compared to the batting cages.
Or like comparing NFL to........

Your Pretty Hate Machine is pretty sweet. I love the matte black!

Last edited by ALTA2; 08-18-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:06 PM
tw1112
2nd Gear
So if we are a two mini family, that means we need to buy two seperate tools?

Old 08-18-2010, 09:18 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Yes it does. Basically each ALTA AccessPORT is locked down to a VIN. Once installed it will only work on that Mini. You can uninstall it and put it on the other car, but then your other car will be back to stock. So to get the most from your 2 Mini's you need two ALTA AccessPORTs.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:55 PM
unplugged
1st Gear
Mine is a cooper s, upgraded to a jcw tune. If I use this, am I able to "save" and revert to my jcw tune if needed? Tks

Old 08-18-2010, 10:57 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by phantasms
I tuned my way more expensive cars of the past for far cheaper.
Sadly it's not the price of the car that reflects how expensive tuning it will be...

Old 08-18-2010, 11:41 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by unplugged
Mine is a cooper s, upgraded to a jcw tune. If I use this, am I able to "save" and revert to my jcw tune if needed? Tks
For sure the ALTA AccessPORT will save your ECU data. So when you go back to stock it will revert back to your JCW tuned ECU.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:27 AM
Rated M
1st Gear
Is the dealer able to detect this via a flash counter after it is put back to stock? Or does it reset/bypass the flash counter?

Thanks

Old 08-19-2010, 03:00 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wrx_xb9r
What about multi car discounts?

This isn't Geico! You can't save 15% by adding more cars...

Mark

Old 08-19-2010, 04:52 AM
irontree
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there anyway this could disable the flat tire light that comes on when there are no TPMS installed on the rims?

Last edited by irontree; 08-19-2010 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-19-2010, 05:28 AM
BostonR56S
Banned
My wager is on page 19 of this thread for the first issue to arise from the consumers [us].

I hope I'm wrong but we'll see

Old 08-19-2010, 06:24 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BostonR56S
My wager is on page 19 of this thread for the first issue to arise from the consumers [us].

For this....I will hold out and wait for some "semi-extended" real world experience. This is very intriguing and I have the money to purchase but I want to see some time on the tune(s) and reactions. I am very interested to see how it pairs up against the RMW tune. It will essentially come down to whether or not it's that much better. Everybody can sugar coat it 6 ways to Sunday but that's the reality of what we are all looking at here. Everybody wants the BEST performance for the best price so let the games begin.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:27 AM
btwdriver
3rd Gear
I would like to know the total number of maps that you have access to with this tool. Ideally, I would like to know exactly which ones, but I will settle for the number of maps you have been able to decode for now.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:45 AM
elmmx5
Neutral
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
Q. Can you make the sport button make more power?
-Yes! There are limitless combinations we can do with the sport button.
Would it be possible to set this up so that the car's steering and throttle response behaves like sport in non-sport mode but retains the stock ECU mapping and then activates the Alta tuned map when the sport mode is enabled?

Old 08-19-2010, 06:47 AM
dortoh
2nd Gear
Post flash...

Do I have to keep the tool connected after the flash has installed?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:48 AM
wrx_xb9r
4th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
This isn't Geico! You can't save 15% by adding more cars...

Mark
Well my wifes JCW Clubman has ATLA CAI, hot and cold boost tubes, and another brands DP (Alta was out of stock when purchasing). I want two AP one for hers and one for my WC50. Plus we will probably purchase two intercoolers. $1600 for a pair of AP is pretty steep. Especially when you see that the Subaru AP is $595.
I have used the AP in stock, StreetTuner, and ProTuner versions for the Subaru in the past.

I want a full range of maps to be provided for all AP users. I would like it to come with 8-12 maps preloaded so that I can plug it in, select the map that matches my current build and go.

I did beta testing with Cobb in the Subaru's quite a few years ago on maps to be released into the public.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:54 AM
czar
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ALTA2
Regarding E85. The beauty with the Cooper S and JCW is that the ECU targets an Air Fuel ratio. So you can dump in E85 and the ECU will actually tune it to the same LAmbda. The only issue is that e85 requires more fuel than normal gas and i am not sure where the limits of the fuel pump and injectors are. But that is something we can actually tune for now! An e85 tune would make great TQ and power! Esspecially with bigger turbo!
I have tried E85 here in the UK, on my stock Clubman Cooper S, and the ECU without a tune managed to self adapt quite well to the E85 fuel, however when we tuned for the E85 fuel, the difference was noticeable to say the least, the high compression of the Cooper S (10.5:1) was in the fuels favour.

My next step will be to try 100% grade A racing Methanol (Alcohol) with the stock injectors, and then my larger injectors, and possibly my larger pump/s, if necessary!

I will also be doing tests with the different unleaded racing fuels too, ECU self adaption, and when specifically tuned for the use of the racing fuels.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:56 AM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club

Knowing personal nature where most people typically only pass on negative comments instead of the good things I would be surprised if it takes that long for some one to post a negative issue. I'm sure they can't anticipate "everything" that could possibly happen with the maps as each MINI is unique, especially once you start adding mods. Do I think they'll be able to fix any issues just like any other tuner, you bet they will. Especially with the data logging capabilities of the AP.

Originally Posted by elmmx5
Would it be possible to set this up so that the car's steering and throttle response behaves like sport in non-sport mode but retains the stock ECU mapping and then activates the Alta tuned map when the sport mode is enabled?
I don't think they can do the sport mode steering in non sport mode but they can certainly put in the increased throttle response. That is how mine is set up. Keep in mind though that I have custom mapping from them as I've been helping them work out the automatic transmission related kinks.

Originally Posted by dortoh
You don't have to, but if you do you can use it to read live ECU data. Don't have a boost gauge? Leave it hooked up, go to Monitors, select Live Data, Scroll down and select boost. Now you do!

Old 08-19-2010, 08:58 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by Rated M
Is the dealer able to detect this via a flash counter after it is put back to stock? Or does it reset/bypass the flash counter?

Thanks
Nope not at all! As long as you uninstall the AccessPORT your dealer will never know.

Originally Posted by irontree
Is there anyway this could disable the flat tire light that comes on when there are no TPMS installed on the rims?
That is part of the body module and at this point the AccessPORT only talks to the ECU.

Not sure exactly what you are saying, but why don't you just let me sell you one, and you tell me what you think.
I feel 100% confident that the maps we are supplying to customers are going to make people very happy.

Originally Posted by ///Mflossin
For this....I will hold out and wait for some "semi-extended" real world experience. This is very intriguing and I have the money to purchase but I want to see some time on the tune(s) and reactions. I am very interested to see how it pairs up against the RMW tune. It will essentially come down to whether or not it's that much better. Everybody can sugar coat it 6 ways to Sunday but that's the reality of what we are all looking at here. Everybody wants the BEST performance for the best price so let the games begin.
It may seem like we are sugar coating things to hype of the ALTA AccessPORT but EVERYTHING we have said and shown is back by solid data, hours of dyno tuning and street driving. Those videos are not just hype (besides being sped up a bit) there is nothing we are over hyping. If anything we are under hyping some of the things it can do!

Is this better than an RMW tune w/Dimsport Flasher? That is a 2 part answer. Given the proper tools a good tuner should be able to tune the car the same as another tuner. With that said RMW is for sure a great tuner, but they do not have proper tools to really tune these cars. I have only dynoed one custom dyno tuned RMW tune. For sure his tune is good and produces the power he says it will, but we can still get more!

Even if the RMW tune and ALTA Tune made the same power, the AccessPORT hardware is so much more that just a flash device. So if you look at the comparison from that aspect, its easy to see the ALTA AccessPORT is far superior to the Dimsport MyGenius. It logs data, clears codes, can be used like a gauge to show you things like boost, AFR, oil temp, coolant temp, Manifiold temp.......... It really is so much more!

Originally Posted by btwdriver
I would like to know the total number of maps that you have access to with this tool. Ideally, I would like to know exactly which ones, but I will settle for the number of maps you have been able to decode for now.
I spell out all the maps we would be here for a long time. There are tons and tons of maps we don't mess with that have nothing to do with being able to make power. But the 30-ish different maps we modify while tuning a car is about 5 times the maps Dimsport gives their tuners. When it comes down to it, the number of maps isn't that important. Its having the ability to adjust maps that are keeping the engine from making more power! There are tons of maps limiting boost, torque, timing, fueling and you name it!

Originally Posted by elmmx5
1. Would it be possible to make the steering heavy on non sport and sport?? That could be a possibility but right now no. That is part of the body module i believe and it will take some further digging to see if that is possible.

2. Would it be possible to make the throttle response behave like sport mode, but in non-sport mode?? For sure! This is one of those things haven't really told people we can do. But this is something we would love to get opinions about. A few of our testers (including us) don't like the sport button after the tune. This is because we are adding so much more Torque at lower RPM that it makes it kind of jumpy. Most people like the non sport mode better, or a more linear throttle. Its hard to explain but think of it like this.
Non-Sport- 0% Pedal = 0% Throttle
25% Pedal = 20% Throttle
50% Pedal = 60% Throttle
75% Pedal = 90% Throttle

Sport Mode- 0% Pedal = 0% Throttle
25% Pedal = 30% Throttle
50% Pedal = 90% Throttle
75% Pedal = 95% Throttle

These are rough numbers derived from the 6 maps controlling the throttle. The acutal number very greatly depending on vehicle speed and RPM points. Hopefully that is not too much info.

Originally Posted by dortoh
Nope just put it in the glove box until you get more parts that warrant a new ECU tune!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread