Alabama Motoring Society: BAMA and Rocket City The forum for the Alabama Motoring Society.
Visit the BAMA club site at www.bamamini.com
Visit the Rocket City MINI club site at www.rocketcitymini.com

Magic City Mini Meet, August 24th, at the Birmingham Mellow Mushroom

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 03:37 PM
Indurdenwetrust
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh wow! This is turning out great. I'll tell MM to expect 20 to 25 people on Saturday at Noon. I'll shoot a little high so we'll all have plenty of room.

I just realized this means I need to probably start cleaning my MINI up now...

Old 08-22-2013, 03:47 PM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We need to think of a place we could park them all and do a photoshoot if the weather is nice. I've got a good Canon SLR, but anyone else with a camera should go ahead and bring it. I'd love a good panoramic shot to put on the banner of the FB page.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Indurdenwetrust
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SmittyRN
We need to think of a place we could park them all and do a photoshoot if the weather is nice. I've got a good Canon SLR, but anyone else with a camera should go ahead and bring it. I'd love a good panoramic shot to put on the banner of the FB page.
I know a great place but I'm not sure how many cars will fit. There's a dirt lot at the top the main mountain on 25 the bikers call "**** Rock". It overlooks the country side. I may ride over there and double check the size. Downside is that it's pretty much at the greatest part of my route and would kill the speed and buildup.

My other idea is the new(ish) parking deck at the Summit mall behind Flip Burger. It's usually pretty empty during the day and you can get the parking deck look on the bottom level or there is a great view on the top level. The main downside there is that there are usually random cars parked here and there and it could prevent a good shot. I've done some motorcycle meets there.

I'm definitely bringing the GoPro and my wife's Sony NEX.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:27 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope you guys have a great time with your event!

My daughter just married her fraternity sweetheart from the University of Alabama at the Mountain Brook Presbyterian Church in June. I love it down there - Alabama is so beautiful. I'm jealous ..... Roll Tide!

Old 08-22-2013, 07:48 PM
Indurdenwetrust
2nd Gear
Thanks Tampadave! Come join us at future events if you happen to be close by.

Magic MINIS: I just went and checked out the spots I mentioned above and they are both great. The mountain top location on 25 can probably fit 8 to 10 MINIs on 1 row, and there's room for 2 rows. It would be a good shot with all of the hills in the background.

The parking deck at the Summit is probably my favorite. There are no walls on the outer sides of the structure, only steel cables. It's very high and overlooks the lower side of the Summit, 280, 459, and the Colonnade is in the distance. Probably a better night picture, but still beautiful. It was empty tonight but probably a different story on Saturday afternoons.

Anyways, we can figure it all out Saturday. I'll stop blowing the forum up now

Old 08-23-2013, 04:20 PM
ke4sfq
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Indurdenwetrust
The parking deck at the Summit is probably my favorite. There are no walls on the outer sides of the structure, only steel cables. It's very high and overlooks the lower side of the Summit, 280, 459, and the Colonnade is in the distance.
I know that spot, took several pics of mine up there at dusk. Cool view!
Kevin

Old 08-23-2013, 04:32 PM
ke4sfq
4th Gear
It is the Mellow Mushroom downtown Birmingham at Five Points south. We're going to park a few blocks up on Cobb Ln. where there is free parking and plenty of room to show the rides off.
Do you have an address or know a business near the parking on Cobb Lane? I know where Mellow Mushroom is but not about Cobb Lane parking! lol I see a Cobb Lane on the map. Near Blue Monkey Lounge? I see it.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Indurdenwetrust
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ke4sfq

Do you have an address or know a business near the parking on Cobb Lane? I know where Mellow Mushroom is but not about Cobb Lane parking! lol I see a Cobb Lane on the map. Near Blue Monkey Lounge? I see it.
Apparently it is officially 13th Ave S. No one calls it that but I guess I can't argue with Google Maps!

The fork and knife is Mellow Mushroom and the marker is "Cobb Ln"

Attached Thumbnails Magic City Mini Meet, August 24th, at the Birmingham Mellow Mushroom-image-807780300.jpg  
Old 08-23-2013, 05:05 PM
ke4sfq
4th Gear
Apparently it is officially 13th Ave S. No one calls it that but I guess I can't argue with Google Maps!

The fork and knife is Mellow Mushroom and the marker is "Cobb Ln"
Perfect, thanks!!

Old 08-23-2013, 05:52 PM
Indurdenwetrust
2nd Gear
Alright people! Lunch is set up, car is clean, and one of my MINI t-shirts (that has been washed a few too many times) is somewhere in my dresser waiting to be put on!

I'll be arriving at the parking lot on Cobb Ln (13th ave S) around 11am tomorrow to catch anyone who arrives early, mingle, and to drool on some bonnets. Around Noon we eat at Mellow Mushroom and officially kick off the brand new Magic City Minis. Bring your favorite motoring stories and ideas for our new club and let us hear it over some delicious pizza. After lunch I will be leading a twist filled run through parts of Jefferson and Shelby counties at a spirited but safe pace. There is absolutely no pressure to join our ride but I think it will be worth your time to see some great scenery and take some twisties your car was bred for!

If enough are interested, we are going to set up somewhere and take some beauty shots of our rides after the run.

Post here or PM me if you have any questions. I will gladly PM you my cell number if you feel you need help getting to Cobb Ln.

Everyone drive safe and I'll see you tomorrow.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:53 PM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
OK bro, I think this is the route we will be driving.... want to check it out for me?

Name:  MellowMeet_zpscf0b29ce.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  72.0 KB

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...04342,0.617294

Old 08-23-2013, 08:11 PM
Indurdenwetrust
2nd Gear
OK bro, I think this is the route we will be driving.... want to check it out for me?

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...04342,0.617294
That is basically it. I wanted to incorporate the other side (the fun side) of Grants Mill too but I'm trying to avoid overlap and don't want it to be too long. I also am considering getting off 25 at hwy 55, crossing 280 on 51 and taking Pumpkin Swamp Rd back into Chelsea and back on 280. Pumpkin is just as fun as 25 IMO.

I wanted to see how much time you guys are comfortable with at lunch tomorrow so I don't discourage people from joining us with a long journey.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:32 PM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
Stoked. Looking forward to tomorrow. See ya at the Schroom!

Old 08-24-2013, 06:05 PM
Indurdenwetrust
2nd Gear
Thank you to everyone that came today and making this a very pleasant Saturday! I think we can call the first Magic City Minis meet a success! I had a great time and I'm already excited for whatever comes next. If you couldn't make it, keep an eye on these forums for new info. The next MCM meet will probably be sometime in October and we need to continue to get the word out and grow so it will be bigger and better! We need everyone's help with making our new club grow!

Anyone that has been following our posts and was unsure about coming today, try and make it out to the next one and I assure you you will not be disappointed. Our group is for women and men, young and old, all races, fast or slow driving styles, and all walks of life. We are just wanting to make friends, share stories, and have fun! You just need to show up in a Mini! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Old 08-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Indurdenwetrust
2nd Gear
Also here are the few pics I got today.

Attached Thumbnails Magic City Mini Meet, August 24th, at the Birmingham Mellow Mushroom-image-2365887066.jpg   Magic City Mini Meet, August 24th, at the Birmingham Mellow Mushroom-image-534473860.jpg   Magic City Mini Meet, August 24th, at the Birmingham Mellow Mushroom-image-1627462164.jpg  
Old 08-25-2013, 08:45 AM
Reebus
4th Gear
I agree it was a of fun and great meeting everyone. Great run, food and beer at the end.

If you're anywhere near Birmingham please watch for future announcements. We'd love to have you in the group.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:51 PM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
I had a blast, had a great time with you guys. Went out today to evaluate a route for a future meet and my power steering pump failed right in the middle of some twisties. I'm just glad it didn't fail in the middle of that drive alone 25 yesterday, I'd have some seriously sore shoulder muscles.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Indurdenwetrust
2nd Gear
I had a blast, had a great time with you guys. Went out today to evaluate a route for a future meet and my power steering pump failed right in the middle of some twisties. I'm just glad it didn't fail in the middle of that drive alone 25 yesterday, I'd have some seriously sore shoulder muscles.
Oh god! My bad mojo has already infected others!

I want to make sure you know a new pump should be free at the MINI dealership. The program covers 2002 to 2005. Your's is an '03 right?

In the meantime, enjoy your new '95 Civic Hatchback

Old 08-25-2013, 04:49 PM
SmittyRN
3rd Gear
Yeah, I just got through reading that thread again. Mine's an '02, almost up to 100K miles; I don't have any info about it being replaced before in the pile of paperwork that came with the car, so I should be covered. I'm going to be giving MINI a call in the morning and making sure it's covered.