North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Alabama Motoring Society: BAMA and Rocket City (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/alabama-motoring-society-bama-and-rocket-city-49/)
-   -   Magic City Mini Meet, August 24th, at the Birmingham Mellow Mushroom (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/alabama-motoring-society-bama-and-rocket-city/254412-magic-city-mini-meet-august-24th-at-the-birmingham-mellow-mushroom.html)

SmittyRN 07-15-2013 01:49 PM

Magic City Mini Meet, August 24th, at the Birmingham Mellow Mushroom

Interest is picking up for the Magic City Minis, so we have a meet planned for next month at the Mellow Mushroom on Saturday, August 24th. The time is TBD; we are still seeing if we are going to meet for lunch or dinner. In any event, we are going to meet up for pizza, mutter the obligatory "ooohs" and "ahhhs" over each others Coopers, then fall in behind Indurdenwetrust for a ride along State Road 25 for a twisty tour.

Sound off here if you can make it, and let us know your preferences for lunch or dinner. I've started a facebook group here https://www.facebook.com/groups/magiccityminis/. Others are working on a good logo, and as soon as we get it up I'm going to come up with some templates that you can print out and stick on random Minis asking them to join up the group.

Recommendations and assistance in getting all of this started is not only welcome, it's asked for. Help a brotha out!

ke4sfq 07-16-2013 07:15 PM

+1 on getting this going!! Pizza, MINIs, and a run...who could turn that down?? Put me down for 1 and time doesn't matter to me. I'll be coming from the North half of the state and will just make a day of it regardless!

Kev

SmittyRN 07-16-2013 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by ke4sfq (Post 3775437)
+1 on getting this going!! Pizza, MINIs, and a run...who could turn that down?? Put me down for 1 and time doesn't matter to me. I'll be coming from the North half of the state and will just make a day of it regardless!

Kev

Bring a friend! Looks like we may get some guys up from the Montgomery area too.

ke4sfq 07-17-2013 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by SmittyRN (Post 3775470)
Bring a friend! Looks like we may get some guys up from the Montgomery area too.

They have come up for some events we have too but bham is a great central spot for us all!

Indurdenwetrust 07-18-2013 01:43 PM

I met a girl at Mini of Bham yesterday with 3 Minis in her family! The girl and her parents are going to try and make it to the Shroom. It looks like the Magic Minis are going to take off just fine!

RussellW 07-19-2013 12:19 PM

When MoB first opened they really seemed to want to support their loyal MINI owners. After the first year, not so much. I assume it was a case of waning interest by MoB and the rest of us. I just checked the MINI Owners Lounge https://ol.miniusa.com/auth/home.aspx for new members in Alabama. The most recent entry was back in February. I'm pretty sure they've sold a lot of MINIs since then, but word is not getting out about the local MINI Community. It seems that MoB could help us and vice versa. Is there any hope of rekindling that flame?

Russell

Reebus 07-19-2013 12:44 PM

We had one event out there where they cooked hot dogs and hamburgers and gave everyone a complimentary inspection. It was nice. There were maybe 8 to 10 of us. I know that they (The previous club) tried to give them information concerning the club to distribute to new buyers, but I don't know what the result of that was.

Indurdenwetrust 07-20-2013 12:00 PM

I've had a week from hell with MOB. I'll give details at the meet but just look up Mitsubishi alternators on the forum and my story is similar. Let's just say I'm not happy with MIni USA and Bham right now.

I did ask some dude that was filling in for RJ in service if they would be interested in being apart of any Magic Minis event. He said he wasn't entirely sure what they could contribute but if we get some solid plans together they would be happy to hear our proposition.

Something to think about...

SmittyRN 07-20-2013 12:07 PM

I'm thinking if we can get a good turnout for the first meet, we will be able to show that there is enough interest that it would be worth sponsering.

I'm going to hit up the Cars and Coffee thing next Saturday morning, make showing for the Mini's and see if there are any other owners around. Anyone care to join me?

ke4sfq 07-20-2013 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Reebus (Post 3777005)
We had one event out there where they cooked hot dogs and hamburgers and gave everyone a complimentary inspection. It was nice. There were maybe 8 to 10 of us. I know that they (The previous club) tried to give them information concerning the club to distribute to new buyers, but I don't know what the result of that was.

Hey I was at that one! One of my only Bham events other than the Talladega day. From my experience and Its been a while since I have been, no one at MOB are "MINI" people. They are just running a business and could care less if they showed up in the MINI, BMW, or a Volvo shirt. John Monk at MON is into the MINI community and makes sure all new customers know about their club in TN. If they are not wanting to come to events then that is a sign they could care less about "MINIs" other than selling them in my opinion.

But if they would just let you post a sign or something there so people can find out on their own, that would help!

Indurdenwetrust 07-20-2013 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by ke4sfq (Post 3777532)

Hey I was at that one! One of my only Bham events other than the Talladega day. From my experience and Its been a while since I have been, no one at MOB are "MINI" people. They are just running a business and could care less if they showed up in the MINI, BMW, or a Volvo shirt. John Monk at MON is into the MINI community and makes sure all new customers know about their club in TN. If they are not wanting to come to events then that is a sign they could care less about "MINIs" other than selling them in my opinion.

But if they would just let you post a sign or something there so people can find out on their own, that would help!

I'm going back in there probably Monday so I'll see if I can post something up.

Uncle Boom 07-21-2013 06:55 PM

I may have missed the 'exact' location, but I am assuming Mellow Mushroom on 119 for the August Event?

barry

Indurdenwetrust 07-21-2013 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Barry Ralston (Post 3778269)
I may have missed the 'exact' location, but I am assuming Mellow Mushroom on 119 for the August Event?

barry

It is the Mellow Mushroom downtown Birmingham at Five Points south. We're going to park a few blocks up on Cobb Ln. where there is free parking and plenty of room to show the rides off.

We discussed this on another thread and forgot to mention it here. Sorry Barry!

Indurdenwetrust 07-21-2013 07:04 PM

And also we hope you can make it! Spread the word!

ke4sfq 08-18-2013 08:48 AM

So what time did you all decide to eat Saturday? Got to plan out a time for some Rocket City MINIs to meet up and drive down.

Indurdenwetrust 08-18-2013 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by ke4sfq (Post 3794552)
So what time did you all decide to eat Saturday? Got to plan out a time for some Rocket City MINIs to meet up and drive down.

12pm this Saturday! Can I get a show of hands for how many we are going to have? I want to make sure we get enough seats.

Reebus 08-18-2013 10:37 AM

Yeah, 12:00 it is. I'll be there for sure. I'll be sure that the facebook page reflects the same thing........

SmittyRN 08-18-2013 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by ke4sfq (Post 3794552)

12 noon by popular demand! And since I'm coming from Cullman, I need to meet up with you RC guys when you drive past and drive down with you.

ke4sfq 08-18-2013 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Indurdenwetrust (Post 3794586)
Can I get a show of hands for how many we are going to have?

Me and Janel from Rocket City for sure. I will check with the others that said maybe and let you know a total in a few days.

Originally Posted by SmittyRN (Post 3794603)
I need to meet up with you RC guys when you drive past and drive down with you.

Awesome! Which Cullman Exit are you closest to?

SmittyRN 08-18-2013 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by ke4sfq (Post 3794608)
Awesome! Which Cullman Exit are you closest to?

The Good Hope exit works best. You can text me or call @ 205-601-3522. Haven't found any Mini owners in Cullman to invite yet, but once I get some cards made up I might come up with a couple.

Indurdenwetrust 08-22-2013 09:53 AM

Smitty, Reebus, Kevin, Janel, me (Josh), and my wife Dena are confirmed. That's 6 yes and I'll count Russell and "Uncle Boon" as maybes. I PMed Scooter to see if any River Region people are going to make it down.

Are there people interested in coming on Facebook? I can't view the page without membership on my iPhone.

I'll call Mellow Mushroom tomorrow to reserve some space (probably won't need to but I'll be safe).

As of right now there is a 30% chance of rain so it's looking like Saturday is going to be a great kick off meet for the Magic City Minis! I have a great route planned for you guys!

RussellW 08-22-2013 10:01 AM

I think there will be at least 4 MINIs w/ 6 people coming from the River Region. We plan to arrive at Cobb Lane about 11:15. We're meeting at the Texaco at I-65, exit 186 (US 31) and hitting the road at 10:00.

RussellW

SmittyRN 08-22-2013 10:44 AM

Don't forget your radios!

Reebus 08-22-2013 12:35 PM

There are at least three other bodies coming that have confirmed on the Facebook page. Oh and I'll need to borrow an extra radio. It seems I left mine in Colorado. Dohhh!

SmittyRN 08-22-2013 03:04 PM

I got an extra that sorta works. I'll bring it.