1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice on MINI purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 06:28 PM
Troublemaker
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for advice on MINI purchase.

As a first post I realize it's either a first timer that just purchased or one looking to purchase, I fall into the latter. When reading a board like this, you rarely find the people that have no issues at all as there would be very little to post. Then you start reading threads and on the surface it looks like the car is a piece of crap, but all boards are like that and let's face it, every car made isn't crap.

So that finally brings me to my point, who here daily drives there MINI about 400 miles per week and still likes it. I don't mind doing maintenance and most jobs myself, but would like to keep it a minimum. The 05 and 06 seem to have the fewest complaints and looks to be one of the better year(s). I am only looking for a manual so any auto troubles can be left out. One of FI engines would probably be more fun, but if it comes with another round of things to be concerned with the NA route may be better. I travel back country roads for most of my commute, so having something fun to drive is where I am at right now. I like cars that are fun to drive, it just makes the commute less tiring.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:31 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I commute about 400 - 500 miles per week depending on how many weekend errands I have to run. Still love my 08 MCS. Had all the typical problems and probably spent around $4,500 on repairs. But it has not left me stranded and I'd rank it as probably the second most reliable vehicle I've had after a 96 Grand Cherokee I used to own.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:51 PM
Troublemaker
1st Gear
Thanks. Maybe I'm looking for the wrong car, I don't know. High maintenance I don't mind, I like getting my hands dirty, cars that are constantly in the shop getting repaired isn't what I'm after. These little cars seem to be very hit or miss, some seem to go forever and others seem to be nightmares. Like I mentioned earlier, I am trying to figure out if it's the car for me, I have no better way to explain it. I have pretty bullet proof cars right now, so maybe I've become a little spoiled.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:25 PM
ti22fjc
4th Gear
I use it as a daily driver, and have had it for almost two years, used, purchased with 100K and now has under 122k.
Recently took it on a 2200 mile total trip and was nervous based on reliability, but had zero issues and the best gas mileage it has put out.
I have a Toyota FJ and several Hondas prior to that.
It is a blast to drive, and a bit costlier in parts. I have done some modifications and have had to replace several parts-wheel hub/bearing and part of the steering column that was seizing. Also, PS fan needed to be replaced. It does burn a little bit of oil, but nothing out of the norm.
My wife had 26k on her 06 and is nearing 59K in under two years. A minor issue with her coolant, running low and fan kicking on, but nothing that has left us stranded.
I do carry a spare tire, (no run flats), a spare belt and tool, with me just in case.
I've done the brakes, hubs/bearings on all four on wife's car.
Owning this car, I have purchased several new tools to my (simple) tool kit, (torque wrenches, several new mm sockets), floor jack, stands and the Bentley book.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:58 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have been driving mostly foreign performance cars since the mid-sixties. If you take care with a car it will take care of you. Where BMW is letting everyone down in recent years is in being very reluctant to admit when there are design problems and fix them.

Of course, with any used car the trick is to not buy someone else's problems created by neglect.

And more specifically to your request: The NA MINIs have proven more significantly reliable than the turbocharged models. They are fun to drive but lack punch you in the back acceleration.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:10 PM
Troublemaker
1st Gear
Thanks for all the advice. I think I am going to go a different route with my daily driver but may still pick up a MINI as a toy.