North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Suspension (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/suspension-192/)
-   -   Suspension Rear tire lifting w/ NM Springs (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/suspension/201939-rear-tire-lifting-w-nm-springs.html)

cgaubuchon 01-02-2011 06:18 PM

Rear tire lifting w/ NM Springs

So I finally got my NM Springs, Alta 22mm swaybar(lowest setting), endlinks and controls arms installed and everything aligned. Pulling into my garage is often hairy as it is off of a main road and kind of hidden so most people do not expect my to be turning and usually have to do it fairly quickly to avoid horrible Boston drivers from rear ending me. Over the last few days I have noticed that if I am going anything about about 5 mph that the car now has a problem with the rear inside tire lifting while going up the ramp.

Is this a common thing with the MINI lowered only 30mm? Is it something that can be fixed? What causes this issue?

Any insights on this is appreciated greatly as it gets annoying when my brakes stutter and throw the car in a kind of crazy twisting motion.

Oh and on a side note...Mech. had asked me if I had a recommendation as to the endlink length with the lower springs being installed. I obviously had no idea, anyone have some insight on this?

WayMotorWorks 01-02-2011 07:49 PM

It's not the springs. It's the swaybar causing the tire to lift. There's nothing wrong with it. The stiffer swaybar just causes the tire to lift cause the suspension travel on the opposite side is twisting the bar and making it pull the tire up. Don't worry about it, if you are removing the bar or going to a smaller sway bar will help.

BostonR56S 01-02-2011 09:59 PM

Actually, Lowered 1.25" I doggy squat on corners all the time, even before my 19mm sway upgrade.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1317951_n.jpg

No big deal, short wheel base + stiff springs will do it.
I'm from boston too actually, and my brother lives in brookline, right on beacon st actually. How do you feel about your decision to go with stiffer/lower springs in the city? The roads sure aren't pretty around here.

slinger688 01-03-2011 06:44 AM

Way is correct that it is the 22 mm seay bar that is causing the lift. If you are concerned about it, either set the bar to full soft or get something smaller such as 19 or 20 mm. Or you can get larger front sway bars to counter balance. The lifting of the unloaded wheel does not cause any real issues.

I run the NM front and rear endlinks and when the car is on the ground, you can adjust them to be horizontal. Make sure the sway bar does not bind as well.

andyroo 01-03-2011 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by cgaubuchon (Post 3184951)
Oh and on a side note...Mech. had asked me if I had a recommendation as to the endlink length with the lower springs being installed. I obviously had no idea, anyone have some insight on this?

Adjust the endlink length so that there is no preload on the swaybar when installing. And install them with weight on the wheels, meaning on ramps or something.

Add IE fixed front camber plates and replace the 22mm rear bar with a 19mm and enjoy a better handling car IMO. Though lifting the rear doesn't matter much with a FWD car from a handling standpoint.

It's not stiffer and lower springs, they're actually probably reducing it.

- andrew

Creeve 01-03-2011 08:44 AM

I have a stock swaybar and I three wheel almost every day. Not a big deal.

cgaubuchon 01-03-2011 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by BostonR56S (Post 3185031)
Actually, Lowered 1.25" I doggy squat on corners all the time, even before my 19mm sway upgrade.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1317951_n.jpg

No big deal, short wheel base + stiff springs will do it.
I'm from boston too actually, and my brother lives in brookline, right on beacon st actually. How do you feel about your decision to go with stiffer/lower springs in the city? The roads sure aren't pretty around here.

Haha yeah I'm right on beacon too. 1440 to be exact and pulling into my garage is often a bit hairy with the speeding on beacon. As far as being lowered. Love it. I always avoid what I can and the soon to be gone ringlets don't help but I don't regret it at all. Worth every penny so far

cgaubuchon 01-03-2011 11:38 AM

Thanks everyone for the answers. Just scared the shot out of my when it first happened.

BostonR56S 01-05-2011 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by slinger688 (Post 3185113)
Way is correct that it is the 22 mm seay bar that is causing the lift. If you are concerned about it, either set the bar to full soft or get something smaller such as 19 or 20 mm. Or you can get larger front sway bars to counter balance. The lifting of the unloaded wheel does not cause any real issues.

I run the NM front and rear endlinks and when the car is on the ground, you can adjust them to be horizontal. Make sure the sway bar does not bind as well.

Sorry, but did you see my post? It doesn't have to do with a larger sway bar, even with the stock 17mm bar it'll do it.

cgaubuchon 01-05-2011 06:48 AM

My sway is on the softest setting already given that Alta didnt have the 19mm and gave me the 22 when I ordered.

BostonR56S - Where in Boston you at? Havnt seen you amongst the million R55s in the area. Would love to see your ride in person thats for sure. :nod:

BostonR56S 01-05-2011 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by cgaubuchon (Post 3186546)
My sway is on the softest setting already given that Alta didnt have the 19mm and gave me the 22 when I ordered.

BostonR56S - Where in Boston you at? Havnt seen you amongst the million R55s in the area. Would love to see your ride in person thats for sure. :nod:

I'm around boston once in a while. My parents actually live outside boston due west in Sudbury. However, I've since finished school in CT (UConn) and work outside of hartford currently so I'm temporarily living here in CT. You'll prob see my car around sooner or later. I'm also frequently around the framingham/natick area.

andyroo 01-05-2011 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by BostonR56S (Post 3186540)
Sorry, but did you see my post? It doesn't have to do with a larger sway bar, even with the stock 17mm bar it'll do it.

It may do it with the stock bar, but a larger one will make it even more likely to happen.

- andrew

slinger688 01-05-2011 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by andyroo (Post 3186561)
It may do it with the stock bar, but a larger one will make it even more likely to happen.

- andrew

+1

BostonR56S 01-05-2011 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by slinger688 (Post 3186614)
+1

I can agree to that. But the statement was that way was right in that it is because of the larger sway bar. That statement would be in fact false because it happens with a stock bar too. I did not experience it with my stock heigh suspension because there is greater suspension travel. When lowered, I loss 1.25" travel, which played into the dog squatting (before my sway bar).

pheatton 01-05-2011 12:01 PM

Three wheelin is fun stuff. My 02 GTI with coils and sways did it all the time. Freaked people who had never ridden with me all the time.

Minidrivr 01-05-2011 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The stock "sport" suspension does this as well.

Attachment 50971

BostonR56S 01-06-2011 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Minidrivr (Post 3187184)
The stock "sport" suspension does this as well.

:thumbsup:

andyroo 01-07-2011 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by BostonR56S (Post 3186647)
I can agree to that. But the statement was that way was right in that it is because of the larger sway bar. That statement would be in fact false because it happens with a stock bar too. I did not experience it with my stock heigh suspension because there is greater suspension travel. When lowered, I loss 1.25" travel, which played into the dog squatting (before my sway bar).

A larger rear bar will make the car more likely to do it. Without knowing the exact situation of the car and driver, if it didn't happen at a certain spot before and it does now, then it is almost certainly because of the recently installed larger rear bar.

Lowering the car 1.25" means you have 1.25" less bump travel, however your droop/extension travel is then increased by that amount. The springs are not really affecting it as Way said.

We're really just arguing semantics and it's stupid. It can happen with the stock suspension but it's more likely to happen with the larger rear bar. That's all.

- Andrew

cgaubuchon 01-08-2011 12:13 PM

Really guys, lets breath a little. Just wanted to know if it was a common thing, if it could be fixed, and what caused it the most. Seems there is debate as to what does cause it but that was the less important part of the post.

Hope to see you around BostonR56S and congrats andyroo

slinger688 01-08-2011 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by cgaubuchon (Post 3189055)
Really guys, lets breath a little. Just wanted to know if it was a common thing, if it could be fixed, and what caused it the most. Seems there is debate as to what does cause it but that was the less important part of the post.

Hope to see you around BostonR56S and congrats andyroo

Look at my original post 4 for that.

cgaubuchon 01-08-2011 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by slinger688 (Post 3189060)
Look at my original post 4 for that.

As with all forums.

1. Read first 4 posts
2. Process
3. Create self answer based on posts
4. Watch the arguing pursue. :popcorn:

Thanks everyone

Sketch 01-23-2011 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by cgaubuchon (Post 3189061)
As with all forums.

1. Read first 4 posts
2. Process
3. Create self answer based on posts
4. Watch the arguing pursue. :popcorn:

Thanks everyone

:lol: