North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Suspension (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/suspension-192/)
-   -   Suspension No more teasing: Mach V Technic Springs now shipping. (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/suspension/110239-no-more-teasing-mach-v-technic-springs-now-shipping.html)

byhsu 12-22-2007 09:09 AM

I bought a set of the Mach V's to install on my stock suspension car. I like the 1.25" drop. I haven't installed them yet, but I read a few who did it on their stock suspension and were happy about it.

Msteadman 12-22-2007 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by byhsu (Post 1940773)
I bought a set of the Mach V's to install on my stock suspension car. I like the 1.25" drop. I haven't installed them yet, but I read a few who did it on their stock suspension and were happy about it.

Awesome! When do you plan to have them installed and why the wait???

C2W 12-22-2007 12:07 PM

I had a whopping 700 miles on when I installed my MACH V provided springs and Rota RBs.....

Before
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...t/DSC_0058.jpg

After
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...40RotaRBs4.jpg

With the "sports suspension" the ride is firm but not uncomfortable.......and nothing rubs. (215/45 ZR 17).

Thanks for a quality product Dan. . . .

ADAMSALTAMINI 12-22-2007 12:13 PM

C2W: LOOKS GREAT! Those wheels look really great on that color combo. Are you thinking of continuing the "black out" look? Just curious. Congrats on a GREAT looking MINI!

Msteadman 12-22-2007 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI (Post 1940977)
C2W: LOOKS GREAT! Those wheels look really great on that color combo. Are you thinking of continuing the "black out" look? Just curious. Congrats on a GREAT looking MINI!

+1! If I thought the gunmetal RB's would look that good on my PW/B MINI I'd hop on them in a second!!! Especially for the price... :nod:
Can't wait to get the Mach V springs on :thumbsup:

C2W 12-22-2007 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI (Post 1940977)

Thanks guys. . . .Yep I just finished installing the black grill surrounds (tough job, 10 minutes. . . . ) next will be either black headlight surrounds or paint matched (haven't decided yet).

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ut/40Grill.jpg

byhsu 12-22-2007 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Msteadman (Post 1940878)
Awesome! When do you plan to have them installed and why the wait???

Been to busy, My brother will take it for me for the install when he comes to visit me in January.

drewster 12-22-2007 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mach V Dan (Post 1940729)
I admit we haven't tried that combo yet. Koni doesn't recommend the FSD's at all with lowering springs, but quite a few of the R53 MINI folks have paired them with springs and liked the result. But we haven't yet put them on an R56 with our springs.

--Dan
Mach V

What's the reason Koni is hesitant in recommending its use in a lowered suspension setup? And what do you think the ride height will be with the Koni, are the perches in the same location on the Koni as OEM shocks? I hate being the g.p. to try this combo. Do it on yours first. :lol:

Msteadman 12-22-2007 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by C2W (Post 1941089)
Thanks guys. . . .Yep I just finished installing the black grill surrounds (tough job, 10 minutes. . . . ) next will be either black headlight surrounds or paint matched (haven't decided yet).

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ut/40Grill.jpg

Very nice. :nod: I'll be installing the black JCW grill trim soon as well. Considering doing the headlight and taillight surrounds in a gloss black (similar to the grill) at the same time - we'll see... :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by byhsu (Post 1941134)
Been to busy, My brother will take it for me for the install when he comes to visit me in January.

Gotcha. I'll most likely be getting mine installed at the end of January. Definitely let me know how your install goes! :)

bushman66 12-26-2007 05:20 PM

I just installed my MachV springs today. Easy job, 3 hours from start to finish (hardest part of the job was finding a place to jack the car up so I could place the jackstands under the jacking locations.

I have the Sport suspension and with the Mach V springs, I measured a consistent 1.25" drop. The ride is no more harsh than stock (it actually feels a bit smoother) but when the hammer drops and the wheels are not straight...here is the best part...almost ZERO torques steer.

2 major thumbs up for the Mach V springs!!!

Mach V Dan 12-27-2007 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by drewster (Post 1941157)
What's the reason Koni is hesitant in recommending its use in a lowered suspension setup?

I believe it's because of the small amount of suspension travel on the MINI.

And what do you think the ride height will be with the Koni, are the perches in the same location on the Koni as OEM shocks?
It should be the same as with stock shocks.

I hate being the g.p. to try this combo. Do it on yours first. :lol:
We'll see. :)

--Dan
Mach V

Creeve 12-27-2007 09:08 PM

anybody have experience with how these springs preform with a full load (3 adult passengers/600 or 700 pounds) i dont carry that many people often, but none the less it would be a handy piece of information to have before i go ahead and take the plunge on these.

elpappy 12-29-2007 09:46 AM

Bought these from Dan himself on 12-28-07 installed there. Mach V customer service is very personable I can’t say enough about that. I have the stock suspension if anyone is interested. The only problem I foresee is little rubber lip under the bumper which name escapes me is going to get beat up I’m sure. Does anyone know how much it costs when I bust it up? All of my pics in my gallery are with the Mach V springs on.

ezpeasy 12-29-2007 08:14 PM

elpappy,

How's the ride on the highway? Do you notice bounce?

elpappy 12-30-2007 07:44 AM

ezpeasy,

I live about 2.25hrs drive from MachV. 90% of that is highway, so I got a good test out of the box. Dan said the only bounce or even scrape (the rubber Lip) I might notice is when transitioning from highway to overpass/bridge. I have not scraped ever when doing this even at 70+mph. The bounce is barely noticeable at trans ion, this may be due to my stock (non-sport) suspension but I'm not a scientist.

Msteadman 12-30-2007 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by elpappy (Post 1951346)
Bought these from Dan himself on 12-28-07 installed there. Mach V customer service is very personable I can’t say enough about that. I have the stock suspension if anyone is interested. The only problem I foresee is little rubber lip under the bumper which name escapes me is going to get beat up I’m sure. Does anyone know how much it costs when I bust it up? All of my pics in my gallery are with the Mach V springs on.

I believe it was Gabe from Motoring File who gave the price of the lip. Can't remember off the top of my head, but it was extremely cheap. Maybe something around 20 bucks. With the JCW aero kit and lowering it really gets beat up. Some have taken it off, but no one is sure how much it's needed for high speed stability...

PGT 12-30-2007 07:10 PM

if it's anything like the one on the R53, it's designed to be replaced easily and will get worn out to a point it won't rub

FugitiveAI 01-09-2008 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Creeve (Post 1949207)
anybody have experience with how these springs preform with a full load (3 adult passengers/600 or 700 pounds) i dont carry that many people often, but none the less it would be a handy piece of information to have before i go ahead and take the plunge on these.

I've had four adults in the car driving during a major rain storm. Traction felt better than when I previously had a few heavy passengers in the car with factory stock springs. It also felt like the suspension travel was shortened and the spring rate was much higher than when I'm the only person in the car.

FugitiveAI 01-09-2008 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by drewster (Post 1941157)
What's the reason Koni is hesitant in recommending its use in a lowered suspension setup? And what do you think the ride height will be with the Koni, are the perches in the same location on the Koni as OEM shocks? I hate being the g.p. to try this combo. Do it on yours first. :lol:

Dan won't make any statements or representations (and rightly so) on what effect the Koni's will have on the ride and performance since he hasn't tried it but having had the Mach V springs with the factory sport suspension for two months now, I'm convinced the sport shocks are not ideal with the Mach V springs. I would take Koni's recommendation and go with the sport shocks rather than the FSD. They know something we don't. My guess is they won't always react correctly or effectively with the short travel and low ride height of a lowered car.

So I say give the Koni Sport/Mach V combo a shot. I'm VERY confident you will have a better handling car on the road and on the track. And beef up the rear sway bar while you're at it =). I think body roll is the weakest aspect of the factory suspensions.

Just my two cents... which equates to over a thousand dollars.

Tennman 01-18-2008 11:27 AM

3 Attachment(s)
:thumbsup:I just had the springs installed and am very impressed with the look. The ride is firm and not harsh. Most importantly, the torque steer is totally gone. Thanks, Mach V!

Attachment 28366

Attachment 28367

Attachment 28368

Note: the sig pic is without the springs.

Msteadman 01-18-2008 12:45 PM

Looks nice, and love that color! :nod:

What size/brand tires are those? Also do you have the stock or sport suspension???

Tennman 01-18-2008 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Msteadman (Post 1989438)
Looks nice, and love that color! :nod:

What size/brand tires are those? Also do you have the stock or sport suspension???

The tires are 205/45ZR17 Goodyear F1 Ultra Performance A/S on a 17" ASA rim., Got them on Tire rack. I'm running stock suspension, AFAIK. I bought off the showroom floor, and they had done some modifying to it already. But I'm pretty sure it's stock suspension.

Msteadman 01-18-2008 01:32 PM

Sweet! I'm considering those tires as well. How are you liking them thus far?

Tennman 01-18-2008 01:58 PM

It took a couple of days to get used to regular sidewalls after the runflats, but I love the ride -- especially with the new springs. They are excellent in the rain as well. It's heavy rain season here in Tennessee, and I have felt secure in all conditions.

Msteadman 01-18-2008 06:33 PM

Very good to hear :thumbsup: