STX (Street Touring X) Webb's Extreme rear swaybar legal in STX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 08:24 PM
wharf_rat
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Webb's Extreme rear swaybar legal in STX?

Trying to determine if Webb's extreme rear swaybar is legal in STX. I'm not very savy when it comes to suspension terminology. The bar, endlinks, bearing bushings and droplinks are all metal. I know that the suspension bushings can be any material except metal. Does that make the Webb bar illegal? I have the question in to Randy but thought I'd check with the fine folks on here. I have an appointment with Webb in a couple of weeks to do a rear swaybar, camber plates, control arms and alignment.

On another note, I got Maggie out on course for the first time yesterday and boy am I gonna have some fun this season! It was definitely a much different drive from my SM WRX. I was giggling every time I crossed the finish line. Took 3rd in STX out of 12 drivers and easily left a second or more out there. It should be a very enjoyable and competitive season. Oh and I was digging the street tire class - took about 5 minutes to prep the car.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:03 AM
gowest
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rule says you can add or replace a sway bar and that means everything, so you're OK.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:38 AM
wharf_rat
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gowest
The rule says you can add or replace a sway bar and that means everything, so you're OK.
Wasn't sure if the endlinks and droplinks were included in the definition of 'swaybar' for that rule or if any of the Webb bar fell under the suspension bushing rule that excludes metal materials. This is where my ignorance of suspension terminology comes in. Not sure what exactly falls under suspension bushings?

Old 04-11-2006, 10:43 AM
wharf_rat
2nd Gear
Update

FYI. This question has not yet been decided. Sounds like Randy is talking to the National office re: the legality in STX. His bar may be viewed as a torsion bar instead of sway. He is putting on a H-Sport bar for me instead.

Old 04-11-2006, 04:06 PM
gowest
4th Gear
Originally Posted by wharf_rat
FYI. This question has not yet been decided. Sounds like Randy is talking to the National office re: the legality in STX. His bar may be viewed as a torsion bar instead of sway. He is putting on a H-Sport bar for me instead.
No way is it a torsion bar, it's legal, I've been doing this a long time. I ordered one myself now to replace my 13/16" RDR bar. It should be more linear but I'm not sure about stiffer. It should also be easier to adj. quickly. I think he should offer the bar with more wall thickness (not larger dia.) and bring the range up from it's current (-stock to +348%) to (+stock to +450-500%) to compete with H-sports new race only bar and be stiffer than everything else out there yet still able to go down to not much stiffer than stock.

I should add that people have been putting very simlar bars on the front of STOCK class cars for years.

Old 04-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To be a torsion bar by definition doesnt one side have to be attached to the frame? Sorry if thats a newb question

Old 04-11-2006, 05:20 PM
gowest
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
To be a torsion bar by definition doesnt one side have to be attached to the frame? Sorry if thats a newb question
I don't see any other way it could work even though both torsion bars and sway bars are springs of a type. Torsion bars are independent in their action, one wheel, one torsion bar. Sway bars are not independent in their action, push up on one end and an upward force is applied to the other as well.