Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

PCV repair question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 12:43 PM
knt
3rd Gear
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Someone was selling them for the earlier engines, not sure if it's the same as this version.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:31 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Yeah unfortunately for the N18 the only way I have found to replace the cap is to scavenge one from another valve cover. The kit for the N14 has a new cap, but it will not fit on an N18. That’s why I looked into epoxy like I did, lol. If it breaks, glue it back on with JB Plasti-Weld

njaremka, it sounds like the internal parts of the PCV may be getting clogged up if you are having a lot of oil and stuff in there.... you may have to bite the bullet and replace the whole valve cover one of these days.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:02 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy
njaremka, it sounds like the internal parts of the PCV may be getting clogged up if you are having a lot of oil and stuff in there.... you may have to bite the bullet and replace the whole valve cover one of these days.
You might be right, but I refuse to admit it.

I ordered a new diaphragm this afternoon. When that comes in, I’ll clean it up a little more inside the cavity.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:03 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
You might be right, but I refuse to admit it.

I ordered a new diaphragm this afternoon. When that comes in, I’ll clean it up a little more inside the cavity.
Ha, a kindred spirit!

Old 04-13-2019, 01:04 PM
lemongrass
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all of your great help, guys. I appreciate it! I'll post back my results after I've acquired the diaphram, the JB Plasti-Weld and a backup plan in case I mess up. Have a great day!

Old 04-19-2019, 12:57 PM
lemongrass
1st Gear
Originally Posted by GyumDoong
...Finally replaced the diaphragm over the weekend (without breaking the clip, woot!) and now everything seems to be very smooth.
Please share your technique! I am really cautious about doing this and I and everyone else will appreciate learning from you. Thank you!

Old 04-19-2019, 01:29 PM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by lemongrass
Please share your technique! I am really cautious about doing this and I and everyone else will appreciate learning from you. Thank you!
have you read this thread? It could not be more detailed so please go back and start again

Old 04-19-2019, 01:29 PM
lemongrass
1st Gear
Might anyone have insight on what damage is caused by driving with a busted PCV diaphram while awaiting the part from Russia? Will there be damage to the engine or catalytic converter, etc.? Thank you!

Old 04-19-2019, 01:31 PM
Scudder44
4th Gear
You may get smoke out your exhaust, loss of power, otherwise not a huge problem

Old 04-19-2019, 01:32 PM
lemongrass
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Scudder44
have you read this thread? It could not be more detailed so please go back and start again
I was asking GyumDoong for his technique. Please tell me where he details it. Thank you.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:33 PM
lemongrass
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Scudder44
You may get smoke out your exhaust, loss of power, otherwise not a huge problem
Thank you for your advice! I appreciate the assurance!

Old 04-19-2019, 01:35 PM
Scudder44
4th Gear
I was asking GyumDoong for his technique. Please tell me where he details it. Thank you.
grumpy and I have detailed exactly how it goes and since then there are detailed pictures and guides?

Old 04-19-2019, 01:59 PM
lemongrass
1st Gear
Scudder44, I appreciate your invaluable help. I thought our debt was owed to MrGrumpy, but reviewing the post, I see that he credits you! -- "And last and most important to Scudder44 who was the first person I found to have done this and his advice was invaluable!"

GyumDoong apparently did not break any clips on the cap, while MrGrumpy did. Might you be able to offer some fool-proof insight into this?

Also, I see that dmath asked you about acquiring a new cap where you said you can purchase it from ECS. Can you please provide a link?

Originally Posted by dmath
03-04-2019 10:01 PM Scudder44ESC Tuning has the part to replace the cover for peanuts (if you are in USA). Piece of mind. My repair blew off on the motorway and that was spectacular, the expoxy had had enough :-) I bought a second hand part which has been fine.Could you post a link? I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but I don’t see it for the N18 on the ECS site.
Thank you and sorry for any miscommunication! Best to you!

Old 04-19-2019, 02:06 PM
Scudder44
4th Gear
ECS and grumpy will be along soon to help. Am in Europe and not much use to you. Ebay is handy. Check yours before u buy, no point wasting money if yer diaphragm is ok

The following users liked this post:
lemongrass (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 02:28 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Hello, Just saw this. We sell the PCV cap for the N12/N16 engines,

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-vaico-pa...127646554~vai/

not the N18 yet. We have not confirmed if its the same for the N18. My guess based on the design it's not.

We just have the full covers for now:

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/11127646552/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-19-2019, 10:38 PM
lemongrass
1st Gear
Thank you, ECSTuning! Any idea when you might have the cap for the N18?

Old 05-02-2019, 08:41 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
$847 less 10% discount is what dealer wants for the Valve cover replacement for this issue. Parts ordered and on the way. Thanks Grumpy and Scudder44.

They also want $850 to replace leaking thermostat and upper hose, need to research that fix next.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:49 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Sorry, I’ve been a little busy lately.
Just read the most recent posts.... just as a correction, to Lemengrass, I actually did not break any clips. I was obviously worried about it, but it comes off really easy.

MinnietheMoocher, that’s just ridiculous! The thermostat isn’t really that bad, but using a tool like this made the job soooo much easier! The worst part for me was finding that the pipe going from the thermostat to the water pump was brittle and broke when I pulled the thermostat! It’s a good idea to have that on hand too, from what I’ve since learned, they almost always need replacing too.

Last edited by MrGrumpy; 05-02-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:51 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Oh and for those looking for the exact technique to remove the cap....well there isn’t really one, lol.
first pull straight up in the left rear corner of it until it pops free there, then using a pick set and small screwdrivers I slowly worked my way around it, gently releasing the other 4 clips at the base of the cap.
if you look at the pics. You can kind of see how they hold on there.its basically 4 nubs that protrude from the diaphragm housing. They lock into the 4 small openings in the sides of the cap.
prying gently outward from underneath/inside the caps edge, just carefully release them and it’s done... don’t lose the spring!

Old 05-02-2019, 09:08 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Scudder44, I appreciate your invaluable help. I thought our debt was owed to MrGrumpy, but reviewing the post, I see that he credits you! -- "And last and most important to Scudder44 who was the first person I found to have done this and his advice was invaluable!"

GyumDoong apparently did not break any clips on the cap, while MrGrumpy did. Might you be able to offer some fool-proof insight into this?

Also, I see that dmath asked you about acquiring a new cap where you said you can purchase it from ECS. Can you please provide a link?.

Thank you and sorry for any miscommunication! Best to you!
Nice catch! Yes if I hadn’t PM’d with Scudder44 about it first, I may well have not tried it! He deserves all the credit!

I have emailed ECS about this, because I wanted to link their part in the thread, but unfortunately they only offer the kit for the N14, and the diaphragm and cap are not the same and will not fit.

my clips didn’t break, although it’s painfully obvious that I was worried about that! Ha ha. It’s really simple. Even an idiot like me can do it!

The good news is that it’s still working fine! Gas mileage is better, better cold idle, ..... just obviously a happier car! No residue around it anymore, and most of all, no more vacuum leak!!.... I’m very pleased with how it worked out

lemongrass (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 03:54 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 546 Likes on 373 Posts
Can someone post a photo of the PCV sensor connection on the air duct running from the air box to the turbo? When I reinstalled after doing the thermostat replacement, the electrical connector seemed to push in much further than I remembered. I want to make sure I got it right. Here's what I'm talking about in case I didn't describe it correctly:

Old 05-02-2019, 03:56 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Got you covered, gimme a minute to go take a photo

Old 05-02-2019, 04:02 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Ok @dmath here’s a couple pics of mine. There should be a small clip that holds it in place. If it isn’t plugged in right you will get a CEL, so it you don’t have the yellow engine light on the speedo, you are probably fine.

edit: dang! Look at that crap on my valve cover! It’s literally crap! Apparently I had a critter for a visit! Looks like I have a little cleaning to do!

dmath (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 04:28 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 546 Likes on 373 Posts
Thanks very much, Mr. Grumpy. Next time I'm in the PNW, I owe you a Guinness. It appears that my electrical connector is good.

I bought my car a year ago. Not long after, I was looking under the hood and noticed that connector was not connected to anything -- neither the sensor nor the hose. Oddly, there was no CEL and the car ran fine. I reconnected it. I didn't realize until your reply that there is supposed to be a clip. As soon as I find it on RealOEM, I'll order one.

Edit: I guess I spoke too soon. I found the PCV vent pipe on RealOEM but there is no part number for the clip. It will take more detective work.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:50 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dmath
Thanks very much, Mr. Grumpy. Next time I'm in the PNW, I owe you a Guinness. It appears that my electrical connector is good.

I bought my car a year ago. Not long after, I was looking under the hood and noticed that connector was not connected to anything -- neither the sensor nor the hose. Oddly, there was no CEL and the car ran fine. I reconnected it. I didn't realize until your reply that there is supposed to be a clip. As soon as I find it on RealOEM, I'll order one.

Edit: I guess I spoke too soon. I found the PCV vent pipe on RealOEM but there is no part number for the clip. It will take more detective work.
That sounds like a deal!
this is where the clip is, it is just a smaller version of the one on the the other hose on the intake.

Quick Reply: PCV repair question