North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-188/)
-   -   Vinyl Stripe Adhesive Removal (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/327233-vinyl-stripe-adhesive-removal.html)

jglover 05-12-2018 05:44 PM

Vinyl Stripe Adhesive Removal

Trying to removal the vinyl stripe on my mini manly because the are faded and the corners are peeling. Managed to get the decal off, but all the adhesive decided to remain. Watched a bunch of YouTube videos and read a bunch of sites, also tried a lot of there "home remedies" , but this s**t is on there. Just ordered the stripe removal from amazon. Any ideas?

BigBoost 05-12-2018 09:15 PM

Maybe a heat gun

Fly'n Brick 05-12-2018 10:44 PM

WD-40 or Goo Gone

Scudder44 05-13-2018 01:02 AM

petrol/gas will do it too

blue al 05-13-2018 03:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just done this

Which ever fluid you use, the following will help no end
Thin plastic scraper, or credit card, microfibre cloth pulls off glue much easier

This worked best, impregnated cotton cloth for 5-10 minutes,
+ magnet for tailgate

blue al 05-13-2018 03:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
All these failed to some extent, seems their is no magic bullet

jglover 05-13-2018 06:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Yes, these have failed me also

BRGPA 05-13-2018 12:52 PM

Try some denatured alcohol. It worked for me when I had to remove film covering the Cooper S from the inside door jamb.

EdsNotHere 05-13-2018 04:00 PM

Go to an automotive paint supply store and get adhesive cleaner. It’s designed for just that. Anything else not so much and can possibly damage the paint I worked in body shops for 30 years and have seen the results of the wrong chemical.

http://www.hillas.com/Categories/3M-...kaAsywEALw_wcB

Minnie.the.Moocher 05-13-2018 04:21 PM

Looks like you've tried it all except for the eraser wheel on drill method.

jglover 05-13-2018 04:35 PM

That should be here on Tuesday via Amazon!

bugeye1031 05-13-2018 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by jglover (Post 4390043)
That should be here on Tuesday via Amazon!

Be extremely careful with that wheel.....I don't remember the instructions, but when I tried it, it became pretty aggressive quickly. I stopped using it because I was doing some damage. Also, the wheel material was grinding off pretty quickly and wouldn't have lasted long enough to remove all of the goo. The professional liquid did some damage as well. My final solution was goo gone, an old credit card (several, actually), and a hair dryer. It seemed to take forever.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.....

Minnie.the.Moocher 05-13-2018 04:52 PM

Can't wait to see how it turns out. I wanted to change out stripes on our Countryman, but was scared off by just what you are going through. GL

Shiner 05-13-2018 06:40 PM

Goo removal

I spent 3-4 hours covering a vehicle that had been covered in duct tape and used a gel form of Goo Gone that worked but it was a lot of work. Kids thought it would be funny to tape a car shut. Not so funny when I fixed the situation for my friend. You owe me children and payday is coming.

EdsNotHere 05-13-2018 08:21 PM

The eraser wheel works better if the stripes are in one piece. Once you remove the stripe and are left with the adhesive it doesn’t work well and you can burn through the paint quite easily. I would stick to the adhesive cleaner and a micro fiber rag.

jcwcoopster 05-14-2018 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by jglover (Post 4389876)
Trying to removal the vinyl stripe on my mini manly because the are faded and the corners are peeling. Managed to get the decal off, but all the adhesive decided to remain. Watched a bunch of YouTube videos and read a bunch of sites, also tried a lot of there "home remedies" , but this s**t is on there. Just ordered the stripe removal from amazon. Any ideas?

Get yourself a $35 conair steamer from Bed Bath & Beyond and just steam the stripe/decal and pull off. No sticky residue. By the way this is what tint shops use (steamer) to remove old tint from windows and is extremely effective for stripes and decals.

jglover 05-19-2018 10:01 AM

Results

3 Attachment(s)
I found a combination of items that solved my problem! The spray chemical is called Rapid Remover Adhesive Remover and I found it on Amazon. $10.29 for the bottle. Also went to Harbor Freight and picked up some plastic non-marring scrapers for $12.99. At first I used it on the driver side stripe I had been working on with all those other products that I had been trying out. Thought I might have given the remover a head start and loosened up some adhesive. But, when I moved to and untouched stripe, this is where the remover did it thing! It took a couple of passes, but when all is said and done, It did its thing. If I chose to remove the hoods stripe I still have the option of the eraser wheel or pull the vinyl and use the adhesive remover again. I think it would be pull vinyl and use remover. Even though i have never used the eraser wheel, it seems a little harsh and the chances for burning paint is greater.

Minnie.the.Moocher 05-19-2018 10:07 AM

Glad it worked!

It looks like it is Citrus Peel Oils and other assorted chemicals. They threw the kitchen sink of solutions into that bottle. Hopefully I'll remember this thread when I need to do this.

AZdsrt 05-19-2018 05:59 PM

Maybe a mod will make this a sticky?

Dave.O 05-19-2018 08:02 PM

When I remove people’s stripes and emblems I use a heat gun. When I am done with the stripe removal I use lacquer thinner on a microfiber and wipe away any glue. NEVER EVER let the MF with LQ on it sit on the paint. After everything is removed I polish the whole area and wax or ceramic coat the entire area.

I am a Detailer and have used this process for years without any issues.

Minnie.the.Moocher 05-19-2018 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by AZdsrt (Post 4391793)
Maybe a mod will make this a sticky?

Maybe a mod will make this an un-sticky? :grin:

Whine not Walnuts 05-20-2018 05:08 PM

Just my 2 cents, but the problem is we have so many stickies and most people don't read what has already been posted anyway. Notice I said "most" . . . . . .

jcwcoopster 05-21-2018 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by jglover (Post 4391709)
I found a combination of items that solved my problem! The spray chemical is called Rapid Remover Adhesive Remover and I found it on Amazon. $10.29 for the bottle. Also went to Harbor Freight and picked up some plastic non-marring scrapers for $12.99. At first I used it on the driver side stripe I had been working on with all those other products that I had been trying out. Thought I might have given the remover a head start and loosened up some adhesive. But, when I moved to and untouched stripe, this is where the remover did it thing! It took a couple of passes, but when all is said and done, It did its thing. If I chose to remove the hoods stripe I still have the option of the eraser wheel or pull the vinyl and use the adhesive remover again. I think it would be pull vinyl and use remover. Even though i have never used the eraser wheel, it seems a little harsh and the chances for burning paint is greater.

Steam would have removed the stripe/decal with no sticky residue or need for adhesive removal tools. Steam is clean efficient and economical when removing old decals.

GeneralSpecific 05-24-2018 08:37 PM

I'm hoping the hot, humid weather this weekend will be enough for me to replicate a steamer for me. Failing that, I'm going to get some adhesive remover.

Todd Stanley 02-13-2020 07:38 PM

Dealer Removed Bonnet Stripes, Scratches Remain

Hi All. New to these parts. Just went through the process of leasing a new 2020 Mini Cooper Hardtop S for my wife. So far the car is fantastic less one issue. Initially the cream white (Pepper White) car had black bonnet stripes on the hood. My wife preferred the look without them, so the dealer offered to remove and reassured me there would be no damage.

Alas. Upon inspecting the car in bright sunlight 24 hours later, the previously striped areas on the hood were now covered in linear, razor blade-like scratches. I contacted the dealer and I came back 48 hours later to have them "buff" the hood.

It was a cloudy winter day and on first glance the problem appeared to be remedied. However, about 48 hours later we had another sunny day. The bright overhead light made the razor blade-like scratches visible from a few feet away. Unacceptable.

I contacted and brought car back to the dealer a second time. We pulled it into the indoor bay and they reluctantly agreed they could see the scratches. They felt they won't cause long-term damage and I mostly agree. I was told on this second trip the "paint team" would look at it and attempt to buff again. My salesman looked at the hood and struggled to find what I was seeing (by this point I had already provided photos of evidence). The sales manager also came and looked and came up with a "plan".

I was then told that 1. They wouldn't buff it out again that day, 2. That in terms of the lease the scratches would cause no issues, and 3. That I should return in 2 months if the problem still persists. At this 2 month mark I was told the rest of the clear coat would show normal wear and tear, presumably blending in with the scratches I'm concerned about. I was told the cold weather (sub 32 degrees F) also "impacts the paint" and that 2 months of driving might "remedy" the problem.

I was reassured that if after that time frame they would correct the problem. Am I crazy for wanting the problem fixed and clear coat repaired? It is a brand new car and it's not like I hastily removed the bonnet stripes causing scratches, the dealer did. The 2 month waiting period seems like a sales tactic to get me off their backs as if to think I will forget about it. Needless to say I'm unhappy. I feel the problem should be corrected. Sure in 2 months the rest of the hood with "catch up with" the damage, but I still feel I will be able to notice the liner razor blade-like scratches.

So. Am I being a crazy consumer worrying about nothing? Or am I in the right, considering I should expect the dealer to step up and fix the problem?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...1989b47d1.jpeg
Hood scratches where bonnet stripes were removed.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...ec3d53238.jpeg
Pristine hood without scratches.