Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Tapping noise from accesory belt

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 10:40 AM
drmanus
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tapping noise from accesory belt

Hi, Im a proud owner of a 2008 Peugeot 207 RC (Same Engine as R56 Mini), recently ive experienced a really annoying problem and hope you can help me with your extensive expertise on these engines, locally peugeot and mini experts havent been able to address the problem.

The problem started after a small drag when a tapping noise appeared, serpentine belt broke in half and damaged the water pump pulley, replaced water pump, pulley and friction wheel bearing, after 10 kms tapping noise returned and noticed that the belt had a bump in the back portion (the one in contact with the friction wheel) i thought that it was a factory defect, replaced belt and noticed that the last track in the crankshaft pulley was damaged so i replaced the crankshaft pulley, tensioner and friction wheel all together, tapping noise appeared again after a little driving (normal driving) changed belt from gates to continental, again aftera few kilometers the noise appeared again, Every time the noise appears the belts develope damage in the back, I dont know what could possibly be causing these since I changed everything with oem and quality parts, the car has 92,000 kms in the odometer and its always been taken care meticulously, hope you can take the time and help me because I dont know what else to do.

Sorry for my english, its not my native language.

2008 Peugeot 207 RC 175hp THP Engine
Etuners Stage 2 Tune
Full Decat Exhaust with Remus Muffler
Forge BOV
Pipercross CAI
Longer 5th Gear
4H-Tech Short Shifter
Methanol Injection
H&R Springs w/ Bilstein Shocks
H&R trak+ wheel spacers

Old 10-13-2017, 11:40 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Did you zero in what that bump was on the belt? did it look like it was pinched? was it cut? was it rubbing against something? is there dirt around the motor mount that they fall onto the belt? is there dirt on the street?
attach a picture of the items you removed.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:05 PM
drmanus
Neutral
Hi MiniToBe, thank you for your quick reply:

I cant zero the location of the bump, it appears suddenly shortly after belt replacement, so far i has damaged 4 brand new belts (3 gates and 1 continental) each one in about 6 miles/2 days of gentle driving. Engine is clean, normally belt damage is a little bump that leads to a tapping noise that dissapears if I release the friction wheel (since it is in the back), while running all the pulleys look perfect, no variations. I virtually replaced everything and the problem is persistent.

Bumps are almost invisible but very noticeable with fingertips.

Thank you... Manuel

Old 10-13-2017, 12:10 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
it seems like is was slipping!!! I notice oily motor mount. make sure there is no oil dripping . also, make sure you snap back the wire strap of the wheel between the crank pulley and water pump.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:16 PM
drmanus
Neutral
Oil residue is from a leaky valve cover gasket, already tanken care of, I will replace the belt again and clean all the area to see if it helps, I will let you know in a few days if the problem is solved, thank you!

Old 10-13-2017, 12:47 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Good luck