North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-9/)
-   -   RPM, Temp, Oil and TPMS TRIPPING after rain or wash (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/299431-rpm-temp-oil-and-tpms-tripping-after-rain-or-wash.html)

nivek111070 02-23-2016 07:44 AM

RPM, Temp, Oil and TPMS TRIPPING after rain or wash

I have taken the interior of the car apart to look at the Body control module, bone dry inside and out, and the drivers side fuse box as well, bone dry. Sun roof channels are draining, although the passenger one drains slowly. Battery checks at 12.56 off and appears brand new, Alternator at the battery showing 14.1 so it's pumping good. Anything else I possibly overlooked ?

2005 Mini S with 85k

PelicanParts.com 02-23-2016 08:45 AM

Can you explain exactly what is happening after it rains or you wash your MINI? It triggers warning lights? Have you plugged into the system to see if any codes are present? Any symptoms that you can describe besides the indicator lights?

Minnie.the.Moocher 02-23-2016 10:05 AM

Frayed wire? Moisture causes short. Seen that years ago with a British car in the family. Not sure how you find that.

SupeR53 02-23-2016 03:21 PM

Corroded Ground? The corrosion may be impeding the current flow when its wet.

nivek111070 02-23-2016 05:24 PM

Shortly what seems like after a wash or rain, the temp gauge and oil gauge and tachometer go apeshizle and max out then don't work at all, car runs fine througout this, oh and the DSC light and TPMS light and sometimes the service engine soon light come on. i don't see any leaks in the car at all. everything looks susper dry, no stains no wet spots. I did just have a new clutch put in it.

ECSTuning 02-24-2016 07:48 AM

I would say there is something with the main wire harness, maybe a rodent crewed on the wires near the front fuse box, I would start by checking there. I had rodent damage before on my MINI and they chewed all sort of things.

PelicanParts.com 02-24-2016 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by nivek111070 (Post 4179058)
Shortly what seems like after a wash or rain, the temp gauge and oil gauge and tachometer go apeshizle and max out then don't work at all, car runs fine througout this, oh and the DSC light and TPMS light and sometimes the service engine soon light come on. i don't see any leaks in the car at all. everything looks susper dry, no stains no wet spots. I did just have a new clutch put in it.

Plug into your OBDII and see what faults are present. Does the ABS light come on at all?

nivek111070 02-24-2016 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com (Post 4179270)
Plug into your OBDII and see what faults are present. Does the ABS light come on at all?

now the car failed to start; engine turned over and over again and nothing, took the key out back in and vroom started right up. Taking it to local shop and see what happens

ECSTuning 02-24-2016 08:30 AM

Sounds like a battery issue or ground. When the battery is on its way out , you will progressively get more lights pop up. Mine did this until the car stalls.

PelicanParts.com 02-24-2016 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by nivek111070 (Post 4179307)
now the car failed to start; engine turned over and over again and nothing, took the key out back in and vroom started right up. Taking it to local shop and see what happens

Hm, could be a sign of a battery on its way out. A lot of weird electrical gremlins will happen with a bad battery. Have the shop test it to rule it out of the equation. They'll also be able to plug in and see what faults are present in the system. Report back with your findings when you can.

nivek111070 02-24-2016 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com (Post 4179312)
Hm, could be a sign of a battery on its way out. A lot of weird electrical gremlins will happen with a bad battery. Have the shop test it to rule it out of the equation. They'll also be able to plug in and see what faults are present in the system. Report back with your findings when you can.

not the batteries, one that was in it was new checked good, replaced it this morning with an optima, same thing

PelicanParts.com 02-24-2016 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by nivek111070 (Post 4179369)
not the batteries, one that was in it was new checked good, replaced it this morning with an optima, same thing

So the first battery did the not start thing and then once you replaced it, it did it again? Since you just replaced it, make sure the connections on the battery aren't loose and same with the ground. If anything isn't nice and tight it can cause an issue. Do you have a spare key you can try out next time it does this?

nivek111070 02-24-2016 12:46 PM

Oh the first batter started it and ran fine after the one time it just turned over and over like it wasn't getting spark. So i thought since it was a cheap no name battery i would solve any battery issues and buy an Optima, same thing happended, gauges all crazy, then the no "spark" . Currently it's running fine with no issues > Still dropping it off to have the codes pulled and checked out. No loose connections anywhere I see. Thanks for all the help guys. I will update if they fine anything...

ECSTuning 02-24-2016 12:49 PM

Welcome,

have you checked the ignition switch ?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-question.html

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...d65ae8a246.jpg

nivek111070 02-24-2016 01:56 PM

Well, I looked to make sure it was connected but that was it

ECSTuning 02-24-2016 02:14 PM

The contacts in the ignition switch can be sloppy.

joshua stowe 02-24-2016 09:04 PM

Sounds like ground issue. Check all grounds, especially under the car

nivek111070 02-29-2016 09:41 AM

Got it back from the shop, said two relays including the Fuel pump relay where broken and or bent up pretty good. And of course the Dash lights and all that are not acting up and he didn't see anything in the Scan to indicate what that would be. 2 relays and diag 260 bux :(

PelicanParts.com 02-29-2016 09:48 AM

If everything is good now keep an eye on it. For a real test, maybe give it a quick wash and see if it acts up again after these fixes. If it does, take it back ASAP and see what they might be able to find.

ECSTuning 02-29-2016 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by nivek111070 (Post 4181384)
Got it back from the shop, said two relays including the Fuel pump relay where broken and or bent up pretty good. And of course the Dash lights and all that are not acting up and he didn't see anything in the Scan to indicate what that would be. 2 relays and diag 260 bux :(

Was there damage before ? Up by the driver side fuse box?

nivek111070 03-01-2016 12:08 PM

I didn't notice any, but I did take out the side panel so; I could have possibly damaged it. When the wife gets home we are going to Vote, then I will wash it and see if the symptoms start again...

ECSTuning 03-01-2016 01:13 PM

ok