North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-188/)
-   -   P0597, comes up to temp normal (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/292547-p0597-comes-up-to-temp-normal.html)

randeez 08-29-2015 06:15 AM

P0597, comes up to temp normal

New mini owner, I picked up a 2011 mini cooper S (R56) with about 33,000 miles. Check engine light came on about a week later, i grabbed a obd2>bluetooth adapter and torque pro app.
It keeps kicking out the P0597 code, along with a pending emission code that comes and goes (not to worried about it) . Watching the temp with torque it comes up to around 210* within a few minutes of driving and stays there. I searched around a little and saw most 2nd gens run 220* all the time during normal driving, just wanted to confirm swapping out the t-stat and housing was needed. looks like an easy enough swap with all the info i've seen here
thanks!

hamptup 08-31-2015 10:01 AM

So are you saying you already swap to a cooler temp stat which fixed your code P0597?

I have this code popping up and twice it was fixed under warranty but this will be the 3rd time this code came up so I will replacing the water pump temp unit myself.

PelicanParts.com 08-31-2015 02:48 PM

To the OP - As for the P0597 code take a look here and here. After looking over it and confirming everything else looks alright, you may need to replace the thermostat. Thermostat here if needed.

randeez 09-02-2015 02:02 PM

hamptup - nope havent done anything to it, just bought it a couple weeks ago noticed the dummy light pop on.

wish i wouldve seen your post before pelican! i already ordered one, still getting to know vendors on this site

PelicanParts.com 09-02-2015 02:24 PM

No worries! Let us know if your issue is resolved once you install the new one. And if you ever need anything going forward, let me know! :)

randeez 09-12-2015 11:03 AM

Got it swapped out, process wasn't to bad with all the diys on here. Ended up ordering "wrong" housing, needed additional harness adapter couldnt find. Ended up at dealership for new housing and harness.
Few of my notes
I didn't take much of the wiring harness out, there wasn't much but enough play to lift it up and work around it.
The outlet to the water pump behind and under intake manifold was clocked such that the retaining clip had to pull out towards the block, this was probably the biggest pain for me. And subsequently after running to dealership to get right one I didn't put the clip on the same outlet before I bolted housing back on so I fought trying to work the clip back in.
All my hoses and clamps came off pretty easy, I didn't bother draining coolant (low mileage) only lost about a gallon of coolant just breaking all the hoses loose.

Definitely glad I did it myself instead of the couple hundred mechanic/dealer was goin to charge for labor

PelicanParts.com 09-15-2015 09:16 AM

Glad you got it handled and things are fixed! Good job on the DIY. :)