North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-9/)
-   -   Question about shifter linkage. (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/281005-question-about-shifter-linkage.html)

6cyclones6 12-11-2014 06:25 PM

Question about shifter linkage.

Hey guys i recently purchased a good condition 02 mini cooper(non-S) and it seems to slide out of 3rd unless i hold it in and take it easy on the accelerations but I'm having trouble figuring out whats wrong. The car barely rolled over 100k. I've read several posts and no one seems to be having the same issues, I took it to a shop and they were not help and suggested replacing the trans but i think its an issue with the shifter linkage because 5th sometimes slides out also. Is there any way to adjust the shifter linkage? Is there something else it could be? Other posts say its likely the syncros are bad so is there any way to test it to be sure?

6cyclones6 12-12-2014 08:36 AM

Bump

cristo 12-12-2014 09:59 AM

Often not staying in gear results from bad synchros in the transmission.
Does there seem to be more play in the shifter when in gear compared to before?
If so, then maybe the shift cables or their attachments might be to blame, but
if not, probably the transmission. The Midlands transmission in the early Coopers
is not known for its longevity. Ask me how I know.

6cyclones6 12-12-2014 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by cristo (Post 4022609)
Often not staying in gear results from bad synchros in the transmission.
Does there seem to be more play in the shifter when in gear compared to before?
If so, then maybe the shift cables or their attachments might be to blame, but
if not, probably the transmission. The Midlands transmission in the early Coopers
is not known for its longevity. Ask me how I know.

I just bought it a couple nights ago but it does seem like there is a bit of play in the gear itself. If i go to the actual transmission and manually but it in gear it seems like the shift cable is actually holding it a little too far forward. Theres another thing that's making everything difficult, there seems to be a clamp holding it down and im not sure how to remove it to see if theres something else messing up in the shift cables.

Stoker 12-12-2014 11:43 AM

On the shifter cables, the rubber grommet/stiffener that holds the linkage on both ends (The bottom of the shifter and the the linkage on the tranny) Tends to rot.. and the metal (the part that connects each end) gets torn loose and eventually breaks from the rubber.. It's easy to check the tranny end of the cable's, the shifter end is more difficult, since you have to take the exhaust off to get into the shifter box.. They're not that hard to replace. pull the air filter box above the tranny, then run the cables to the shifter box.

Milpol 12-12-2014 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by 6cyclones6 (Post 4022627)
I just bought it a couple nights ago but it does seem like there is a bit of play in the gear itself. If i go to the actual transmission and manually but it in gear it seems like the shift cable is actually holding it a little too far forward. Theres another thing that's making everything difficult, there seems to be a clamp holding it down and im not sure how to remove it to see if theres something else messing up in the shift cables.

Looking at your attached image, there is an issue with the gear linkage. I have an identical one on my R50 2002 yet the second one is a different design. Mine is being replaced under warranty (yes I was surprised as well) as my car is 2nd hand and 12 years old and the warranty is by BMW and not the original dealer the car was sold in Australia by. There is a service recall on that linkage as it is known for issues with gear change, jumping out of gear etc. I am getting a new clutch on Monday and once I get the car back, I can post the Tech Bulletin ref regarding that linkage for you.

MacGuruTX 01-26-2015 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Milpol (Post 4022733)
There is a service recall on that linkage as it is known for issues with gear change, jumping out of gear etc. I am getting a new clutch on Monday and once I get the car back, I can post the Tech Bulletin ref regarding that linkage for you.

Interesting... Anyone have the Tech Bulletin??

Milpol 01-27-2015 02:18 AM

OK, located my paperwork, this may only be relevant to Australia.

Campaign # 0053368 Retaining clip on gear shift mechanism.

It appears to be something to do with an absorber so if the retaining clip is faulty it may mean the absorber falls out resulting in the linkage either jamming or not functioning correctly.

Hope this is of some help.