North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-9/)
-   -   Rear wiper motor noise (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/243748-rear-wiper-motor-noise.html)

lordofthereef 01-12-2013 01:02 PM

Rear wiper motor noise

Now that we have gotten a bit of rain I have been using my wipers more on my new (to me) r50 mini. Front wipers needed some new blades; now they work beautifully. Rear wiper could use one too, but my bigger issue is the noise! It has always made this noise, though when I first got it I thought it was just noise from the fluid pump as I squirted cleaner on it. Turns out it is the motor on the thing. The sound is a bit like the sound of a transformer transforming (from the new movies). It's loud enough and annoying enough that I don't keep the rear wiper running constantly. I thought about opening the cover and squiring some white lithium grease in there, but figured I should check here first since I have almost no idea what I am doing. :lol:

59FIFTY 01-12-2013 01:30 PM

If you need a motor I have one I can give you a deal on.

lordofthereef 01-12-2013 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by 59FIFTY (Post 3658034)
If you need a motor

That is what I am trying to diagnose. :)

ZippyNH 01-12-2013 03:42 PM

About 50% of the folks here have done a rear wiper delete...usually involves removing the arm, and putting a plug in the hole...motor is usually abandoned in place....

lordofthereef 01-12-2013 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by ZippyNH (Post 3658097)
About 50% of the folks here have done a rear wiper delete...usually involves removing the arm, and putting a plug in the hole...motor is usually abandoned in place....

This is just a cosmetic thing though, right? I don't mind the way it looks and I actually quite like the functionality. Dirty, snowy winters make a rear wiper a huge convenience.

ZippyNH 01-12-2013 04:23 PM

Yup....still use mine...
but does give you an idea of the value of a used motor when 50% of units ever made are sitting in the back of folks cars unused....

Galmozzi 01-13-2013 10:22 AM

I experianced this in my "new to me" '06 R53 on a recent trip with hours of non-stop rain. The noise is intermittent, starting after a half hour or so of driving. It's loud enough to be heard over music playing on the stereo. But goes away. Have not had a chance to investigate, thought it might be a bad blade that's dragging a bit? Curious to hear what others say about it...

lordofthereef 01-13-2013 10:21 PM

I don't think it's a bad blade... at least it doesn't sound like any bad blade that I have ever heard. I guess I could lift the blade from the glass and turn it on... that would answer that question pretty quickly.

lordofthereef 01-14-2013 07:41 PM

Anyone else have anything to say? :)

59FIFTY 01-14-2013 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by lordofthereef (Post 3659611)
Anyone else have anything to say? :)

Have you tried the grease? I would do that and if it dosn't help maybe look at getting a different motor.

lordofthereef 01-14-2013 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by 59FIFTY (Post 3659620)
Have you tried the grease? I would do that and if it dosn't help maybe look at getting a different motor.

Hadn't tried. Paranoid about hurting something, but I guess just grease won't do that huh? Sort of staling too since I haven't found instructions/videos on how to take the panel apart. I am good at following directions, but not so much at winging it when it comes to mechanical things! :)

59FIFTY 01-14-2013 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by lordofthereef (Post 3659622)
Hadn't tried. Paranoid about hurting something, but I guess just grease won't do that huh? Sort of staling too since I haven't found instructions/videos on how to take the panel apart. I am good at following directions, but not so much at winging it when it comes to mechanical things! :)

I think it's just like 6 screws and it comes right off.

lordofthereef 01-17-2013 12:59 PM

Never got around to this, but it snowed a couple days and using my wipers they were quiet. :confused:

Maybe the wiper hadn't been used much for a while or something? Or maybe the sound will come back. Who knows. Not going to mess with it unless it comes back.

bneer 05-29-2015 06:57 AM

My rear wiper has started making a buzzy sound. Also loud enough to be annoying. I too am thinking about lubrication. Likely need a new motor. It is helpful in Missouri.

PelicanParts.com 05-29-2015 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by bneer (Post 4086828)
My rear wiper has started making a buzzy sound. Also loud enough to be annoying. I too am thinking about lubrication. Likely need a new motor. It is helpful in Missouri.

Seems like people ran into issues with removing the spindle nut. Here is a thread for reference. Might suggest we do a DIY write up of this for people. I'll keep you posted if we do and you end up needing to remove the motor. :thumbsup:

-Luccia

ECSTuning 06-01-2015 11:39 AM

Check the rear wiper motor and make sure the wiper motor spindle is attached to the wiper arm all the way and is not grinding on the spindle.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d-cheap-2.html

http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/85151_x600.jpg