North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-188/)
-   -   EXCESSIVE VERY EXCESSIVE TORQUE STEER TO RIGHT (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/141046-excessive-very-excessive-torque-steer-to-right.html)

guidmini 05-22-2008 05:41 PM

EXCESSIVE VERY EXCESSIVE TORQUE STEER TO RIGHT

I test drove a car with a client today. R56 S with LSD. You throttle this thing or just a little acceleration it will put you into a wall that quick. its nuts I let go of the steering wheel and punch it almost does a complete U turn its very unsafe. I just wonder if anyone has experienced this. Me and my Foreman test drove with the client. So its not very safe to drive.

Please if anyone has any input on this get back to me with a post or PM

thanks Guido.

mellowmcs 05-22-2008 05:46 PM

I have a R56 S with LSD I haven't experienced this. When the car is going straight it just keeps tracking straight when I punch it.

my gut says maybe something to with tire pressure or perhaps crown on the road had to do with it.

guidmini 05-22-2008 05:58 PM

No mello .Not a tyre or radial pull this is a vciolent pull thats the best way to describe it.
Hope someone has see or heard of this. Want to try to help customer out

We are at a stand still.

See ya

Guido

BBCooper 05-22-2008 07:07 PM

Not to state the obvious... but if this condition is repeatable and that concerning.. and under warranty, it is best to take it to the dealer.
Perhaps the LSD has failed in some way.

If it were my MINI.. that is what I would do..

ENGINE 58 05-22-2008 07:15 PM

keep your hands on the wheel and grip it hard. its a good forearm workout.

mellowmcs 05-23-2008 09:44 AM

Does this happen even when you are going straight? or only when you are turning? when turning it's "normal"

TheBigNewt 05-23-2008 11:26 AM

I'd forget about buying that car if I were you. The cars have torque steer up the yazoo, but I assume you are a car buyer professional and have experience driving the MCS, so you outta know a bad one when you drive it. there's not much we can help you with around here.

lttletimmy 05-23-2008 02:47 PM

I know jk997tt on this board had the same problem, the dealer blamed it on his mods but the issue appeared out of the blue and not soon after installing anything specific. As far as I know he hasn't been able to figure it out yet.

rodhotter 05-23-2008 03:08 PM

theres definitely a problem, when i had a quaife lsd installed there is NO torque steer at 275 ft lb, it should be the same, even though mini uses a different lsd AND the STEALER is by law supposed to prove mods caused a problem, they wimp out like that

guidmini 05-23-2008 05:25 PM

Solution simply solved

Well Guys. Its the damn Tyres this guy is Jan's friend so I said I would help him out. It was @ the Dealer that what I do I am Cert BMW/MINI tech.
I swapped the tires from side to side. It pulls hard left now. Some how some way. Its bad Rubber. LSD is fine.

Thanks For all the input guys.

Guido Out!

pillar 05-23-2008 10:10 PM

torque steer is a fwd killer! try gunning in a straight line on a bumpy road...

sequence 05-27-2008 10:52 AM

yeah these cars will drive up their own asses if not careful

2xMini 05-27-2008 11:22 AM

Glad you got it all worked out Guido! I had a loaner for about three weeks (an 08 MCS, no lsd) and it tended to do the same thing. My wife's 07 MC did the same thing originally, and both cars were a bit squirrely on the road, especially changing lanes. Her car, I insisted the dealer check the alignment and it was all off (maybe it got misaligned on the boat trip). I suspected the MCS had the same issue, and suggested to the dealer they check the alignment on it too... didn't get word back on that though. But, as you found out, it could have easily been a bad tire.

Now that I think about it some more, did the bad tire exhibit unusual wear? It may still be an alignment problem, and the tire problem is just a symptom, not the cause. Bears checking out, imo.

leicaguy 05-27-2008 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by guidmini (Post 2252349)
Well Guys. Its the damn Tyres this guy is Jan's friend so I said I would help him out. It was @ the Dealer that what I do I am Cert BMW/MINI tech.
I swapped the tires from side to side. It pulls hard left now. Some how some way. Its bad Rubber. LSD is fine.

Thanks For all the input guys.

Guido Out!

Not a surprise to me. I spent many years as a factory trained Volvo tech. ANY time there is a pulling problem, whether it be accelerating, braking, or simply cruising, the very first suspect is a tire. Bad tires can cause a virtual endless array of problems and yet they are too often overlooked. The tires are the only thing on your car that touches the road (hopefully). Yet when there is a pulling problem people seem to jump right past them and start looking for a more "complicated" problem. And tires don't need to be old or abused to be bad. We had numerous cases of new cars being delivered with a bad tire. Pulling problem? Save yourself a headache and swap the front tires. More times than not you will find your problem.

Blind Dog Daddy 05-31-2008 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by leicaguy (Post 2258679)
Not a surprise to me. I spent many years as a factory trained Volvo tech. ANY time there is a pulling problem, whether it be accelerating, braking, or simply cruising, the very first suspect is a tire. Bad tires can cause a virtual endless array of problems and yet they are too often overlooked. The tires are the only thing on your car that touches the road (hopefully). Yet when there is a pulling problem people seem to jump right past them and start looking for a more "complicated" problem. And tires don't need to be old or abused to be bad. We had numerous cases of new cars being delivered with a bad tire. Pulling problem? Save yourself a headache and swap the front tires. More times than not you will find your problem.

I AGREE :thumbsup:

gotguitar 01-13-2009 06:59 PM

Mine does this, but she jumps to the left.

07 MCS - 6spd.

rodhotter 01-13-2009 07:17 PM

i was looking for the mini's LSD type some time ago, there was info on the type here, its a newer style which seems to be less effective than a QUAIFE i had installed in my vw, as stated above i mash the throttle and theres NO TORQUE STEER, at about 275 ft lbs the quaife works. i was excited to see a factory lsd on the order list, mine cost about $1700 installed, it would be well worth $500 if it worked well, individual options and ordering is a plus for mini, i like more performance without the bling and IMHO theres nothing more comfortable than cloth covered seats, a dying breed

taskmaxter 02-08-2009 08:48 PM

Man, I thought this was just happening to me. :)

When gunning it out of the pole position, if I hit a rock or a man hole cover - holy @%^$#! Look out! She will jump hard right!

Noegel 02-08-2009 10:11 PM

Wow... my torque steer is very minimal with no modifications... I wonder why Torque Steer varies so much. Could it just be user opinion?

I come from a line of FWD based cars, except my wife's Mercedes.

taskmaxter 02-11-2009 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Noegel (Post 2660647)
Wow... my torque steer is very minimal with no modifications... I wonder why Torque Steer varies so much. Could it just be user opinion?

I come from a line of FWD based cars, except my wife's Mercedes.

Maybe its worse on some due to the run flat tires? Dunno