North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-9/)
-   -   Is it possible to fix a loose Glove Box latch? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/115650-is-it-possible-to-fix-a-loose-glove-box-latch.html)

RonP 10-01-2007 05:04 PM

Is it possible to fix a loose Glove Box latch?

My latch is really loose. I readjusted the catch pin so at least my glove box stays closed but when open the lever is quite loose. Is there a way to take the glove box apart to get to the latch?

BlimeyCabrio 10-01-2007 05:16 PM

I don't know - but a common problem - lots of these have been fixed under warranty...

JIMINNI 10-01-2007 05:24 PM

Yes, I had to remove my glove box a couple months ago because it would not stay closed. I removed it "the glove box" and repaired the latch. its is somewhat adjustable. I forgot, I have a 03, I think they may have changed them in 05. I actually ground the base of the latch down to have it hang alittle lower, seems to be working ok, good luck.

brigadoonb 10-03-2007 08:08 PM

I know this might be a bit ghetto but I fixed mine by screwing in a screw where the door meets the latch. The screw went into the latch and not the glove box door. The screw head hooks onto the door when closed and no I have no problems.

dsmatl 10-05-2007 04:33 AM

When mine broke, I knew the latch was broken, so I "broke" the door: carefully breaking each plastic weld till it came apart. Then I glued the latch back together. Then I glued metal reinforcements into key locations on the latch. Then I drilled a pin into the latch where the springs attach. And finally I glued the whole thing back together. I just completed this 2 weeks ago so I don't have any long-term data, but so far it's holding up fine.

RonP 10-05-2007 11:30 PM

Wow, that seems like a lot of work. So far mines holding but the door handle is quite loose but the glove box does stay closed. If it completely fails I may try your route David.

pmfranke 10-07-2007 12:22 PM

The latch handle breaks inside the door which is glued together(common on 03's ,bad design).just like david said.It is unnerving to brake appart the door but not to hard. start at the hinge side!I did mine a month or two ago and it still works great.I used 5 min epoxy others have used jbweld.Or you could buy one new for $260. from the dealer.Peter

RonP 10-07-2007 11:24 PM

I'll try taking mine apart first, thanks for the tips. Once apart it sounds like a simple glue it back together type deal?

dsmatl 10-09-2007 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by RonP (Post 1790143)
Wow, that seems like a lot of work. So far mines holding but the door handle is quite loose but the glove box does stay closed. If it completely fails I may try your route David.

Not "if", it's "when". :sad:

Mini-RI 10-11-2007 05:44 PM

I had this problem on my '03. I did a search and found an easy fix - only took a few minutes.

Here's the link to the fix:

http://nemini.org/index.php/topic,2747.0.html

shorn 10-30-2007 07:19 PM

I peeled my GB door apart this afternoon. The latch is of course broken. Epoxying that now. But I was thinking tonight what to glue the door back together with. Don't want it to be too well glued - may have to get in it again. Epoxy? No. Super glue? No. Hot Glue? No. Maybe just glue at the edges so breaking the glue again will be easier. Suggestions?

pmfranke 10-31-2007 10:31 PM

I just used the 5 min. epoxy on every thing. it's been 2 months since repair and it still works perfectly.

ryansoxfan 11-01-2007 02:46 PM

i cracked my door open and glued it back together as described here. it has been holding up for about two months. i used jb kwik, not sure if there is something better. it beats shelling out $280 for a new glovebox!

shorn 11-01-2007 08:47 PM

Mine is mid-repair. latch is glued with epoxy. I plan on reinforcing it with JB Weld. Then put it all back together. Looking at the latch, its no wonder all of them break - a really cheesy design.

dubsdj 11-25-2007 04:13 PM

I used those rubber feet that you get with new computers... Stuck 2 of them together and then pushed them between the latch... Glove box doesn
t fly open anymore... .Although its tough to open it now...

Brihyanna 11-25-2007 04:37 PM

I thought there was a service bulletin out for the glove box latch, but I can't remember for sure...

dr_phatcity 03-27-2008 01:31 PM

Glove Box Flying Open versus Whimpy Latch

There seems to be two topics going on here and it's worth clarifying.

Originally Posted by RonP (Post 1781551)
My latch is really loose. I readjusted the catch pin so at least my glove box stays closed but when open the lever is quite loose. Is there a way to take the glove box apart to get to the latch?

1) Glove Box Flying open:

The middle of the thread has a pretty good link that gives instructions on how to take the glove box out. But many times you can avoid pulling out the entire glove box if you just do as the OP wrote --- readjust the catch pin.

If you look at the top of the glove box, there is are two screws that can be loosened. DONT totally unscrew them or you will have to pull the glove box out, but if you just loosen them then the catch pin is adjustable. Slide it back and forth and you can make the catch more or less secure

2) Whimpy Latch:

Replace the unit or Bust it open and Jerry rig a replacement/solution

barroomhero07 06-15-2008 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by shorn (Post 1834724)
I peeled my GB door apart this afternoon. The latch is of course broken. Epoxying that now. But I was thinking tonight what to glue the door back together with. Don't want it to be too well glued - may have to get in it again. Epoxy? No. Super glue? No. Hot Glue? No. Maybe just glue at the edges so breaking the glue again will be easier. Suggestions?

ok, so i've been sitting here, prying and pulling away on my door and it absolutely will not come apart. any suggestions or possible explanations of what i'm doing wrong and how to correct it?