MINIs & Minis for Sale Need a Mini or a MINI? Want a Mini or a MINI? You're at the right place!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Color:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Private or Vendor Listing:

Part fits (you may select multiples):

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

FS:: '05 R52 JCW Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 09:29 PM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
'05 R52 JCW Convertible

Year: 2005
Make: MINI
Model: Convertible
Price: $10500
Mileage: 81000
Color: Chili Red
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): Midwestern

I just bought this in January, but my wife hates the red. I've been instructed to buy another color Not even coming close to breaking even after spending $2500+ on much needed maintenance... selling for $10,500 firm.

Its a daily driver, and has 81,xxx on it, with about 100 miles a week. JCW package includes injectors, intake, exhaust (no JCW springs/brakes). Has big Brembos though! Can include R90 wheels for extra $300.

Body has a few small dents noticeable upon close inspection, a few small scratches. Paint/body is 8/10 condition, looks good from 5 feet. Hood has faint bonnet stripe fade marks, I've been looking for a new hood since I got it. (UPDATE), new decals covers all faded parts. Cosmetically, everything looks great at a glance. Look closer and you will find small imperfections here or there. From a mechanical point, everything has been done. Steering is tight after tracking down various weak points.

I planned on making this an MC40 tribute, so I'll include the replacement decals I just bought but have not installed. (Will take photos of these soon, not standard BMW issue. They have the original Monte Carlo logo, not the anniversary logo). Currently it has magnetic bonnet stripes.

MORE PHOTOS ON THE WAY!

**Service**

81K:
4 new 18" tires
Alignment
Inner/Outer ball joints
Inner/outer tie rods (both sides)
Soft top hardware thoroughly lubed (top works great)
New Amsoil reusable filter (no oil required) for stock JCW intake

80K:
Valeo SM clutch and flywheel (properly broken in for 1k miles)
Lower Motor Mount
Transmission fluid changed with Redline
Supercharger oil changed
Oil Change (Baron MINI)
Crankshaft Position Sensor O-ring
Throw Out Bearing Guide Tube
Powerflex Front Control Arm Polyurethane Bushing kit
Ireland Engineering Fixed Camber plates
Rear Main Seal
Radiator fluid changed with BMW brand
New power steering fan at the MINI dealership

70k:
-Brembo brakes/drilled rotors (not JCW BBK).

Good:
-Seats in good shape
-Mechanically sound
-Zero rust
-Roof works perfectly with no leaks
-New Amsoil reusable filter (no oil required) for stock JCW intake
-Rare 18" R95 wheels
-Driving lights are awesome!
-Navigation
-HK Sound

Bad:

-Oil pan has a very slow seep (don't they all?)
-Driver's side heated seat doesn't work
-Wheels are a little curbed, not bent and hold air fine.

Located in Dubuque, Iowa.

Last edited by burley; 11-13-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:16 AM
avi
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very pretty car, and I love the shots with the kids! I’m hoping for a similar setup soon GLWS!

Old 03-29-2017, 01:03 PM
burley
6th Gear
Here's a pic of the current bonnet stripe. It's just a magnet, easily removed.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:40 PM
Chiro444
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do u currently have the 5 spoke rims on or the multi spoke rims. Is there a name for the multi spoked rims? I'd love to get my hands on a set.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:46 PM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Chiro444
Do u currently have the 5 spoke rims on or the multi spoke rims. Is there a name for the multi spoked rims? I'd love to get my hands on a set.
It currently has the multispoke (2 piece BBS) R90 wheels on. The 5 spoke are R95. I searched craigslist for a few months and found a set with blizzaks for $400. I'm hoping to keep them and do a restoration.. Previous owner decorated them with curb very nicely.

http://libraryofmotoring.info/facts/wheels/

Old 03-30-2017, 07:24 AM
burley
6th Gear
The photo of the rear shows a debadged boot. I've since bought new badges (All OEM) and will install them all as soon as its warm enough to claybar, wash and wax. Brand new MINI wings, Cooper S, and JCW for boot. Also replaced the chrome trim since it was bubbling.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:11 AM
burley
6th Gear
Add 4 new 18" tires, alignment, and outer ball joints to the list of maintenance. There may be JCWs out there with less miles but this thing is up to date.

Also forgot to mention new power steering fan at the dealership at 80k.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:23 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by burley
Here's a pic of the current bonnet stripe. It's just a magnet, easily removed.
The car currently looks like this, but I'm considering putting on the MC40 decals for kicks.

Poll: What will sell better? I have 2 sets of MC40 decals, so I could always pull them off at buyers request and still give them a set for down the road. Maybe I shouldn't care and just let me do me.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:12 PM
burley
6th Gear
Bump.

Yes, the car may be a little overpriced, but its the price its going to take for me to part with it.. If not, I keep an awesome, well maintained JCW that needs nothing, in my stable for another year or two. I go through this car on a weekly basis looking for things to replace (mechanically speaking) and I'm running out of projects. Just replaced the drivers' door lock actuator. Might I suggest that anyone preparing to tackle this project remember to remove the flashlight from the interior of the door BEFORE putting it back together. The door looks better when not glowing from within, as I noticed after shutting off the lights at midnight to hit the sack.. DANG IT! Also, 4 new 18" tires were just installed.

I'm going to leave the very slowly seeping oil pan go until I notice the slightest difference on the dipstick.. I dont think the driver's heated seat can be fixed easily, so I'll be scouting for a replacement tan seat (good luck) or ideally replace all seats with plain Jane black leather (interior door panels and rear panels included).

Freshly installed Monte Carlo decals that are period correct, unlike the generic MC40 decals that say 40th Anniversary. Mine are replicas of what was on the '67 Cooper that won Monte Carlo. I think I'm going to add bonnet stripes next.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:54 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 312 Posts
I'm sending the link to a friend who commented about admiring my R52 just today. No idea how serious but you never know. Should hear back sometime tomorrow....if I was in the market, wow.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:04 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
I'm sending the link to a friend who commented about admiring my R52 just today. No idea how serious but you never know. Should hear back sometime tomorrow....if I was in the market, wow.
Thanks Brick! No rush, not in a hurry to sell.. I'm getting to the point where I may just pull it because of all the work thats been done.. Impossible to get the $$ back and no matter what I buy it wont be as well gone through.

I've never been a huge fan of black/tan interior. Final straw will be if I find a local R52 donor I'm going to swap all seats and interior body panels. Then, I will be off the deep end.

Bonnet stripes with the MC40 decals? Thoughts?

Old 04-30-2017, 04:16 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by burley
Thanks Brick! No rush, not in a hurry to sell.. ?
You can take this one off the needle file. I saw them Fri. which reinforced the non response to my email.