Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Hood Scoop Faded - Repaint....

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 04:17 PM
portedbuckle
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood Scoop Faded - Repaint....

Hi everyone,

I’m finally taking care of some cosmetic issues on my beloved R53. Over the years I have had the sun torture the poor plastic hood scoop. I’ve attached a picture below. I’m going to be having some work done on the rear bumper, so I may just have it repainted there; however, what if I wanted to go about it myself? I am thinking of painting it black, so paint matching isn’t that big of an issue. I’d probably rattle can it. What do I need to do for prep? strip the paint? Sand it smooth then paint? Any help on a step by step guide is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Adam

Attached Thumbnails Hood Scoop Faded - Repaint....-55431c92-c829-4915-ae0f-d5ca06d426ee.jpeg  
Old 10-26-2017, 05:20 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
I "rattle" canned my grill and headlight rings. For the scoop, would mask the area off and then lightly sand the scoop with something like 400 grit wet type paper. Wipe down with a good clean microfiber, remask, block off the rear of the scoop and use some "bumper/trim" type paint. Rust-oleum also makes a paint that adheres to plastic.

I did not rubout the grill but did rubout the headlight rings.