Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Fastest 0-60 modded R53?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 08:03 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
If you are wanting 0-60 quickness....FWD cars are not what you want. The harder you accelerate, the more weight that gets transfers to the rear of your car, and off of the front wheels. These cars are made to handle twisty roads, not drag strips

I guess most of the NAM members aren't track rats like me, so that's likely valuable knowledge for the fledglings out there.

Here's a couple of 0-60's from my past cars:

Highly modified Jeep SRT8:

Lightly modded BMW 335i:

Old 03-14-2017, 08:05 PM
Stripeknight
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Grip Grip
I guess most of the NAM members aren't track rats like me, so that's likely valuable knowledge for the fledglings out there.

Here's a couple of 0-60's from past cars:

Highly modified Jeep SRT8:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtTl7uG1vhA

Lightly modded BMW 335i:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScpFqaJL5Ws
Cool, my stock 2016 Z06 Corvette with 650 HP and 650 lb feet of torque does 0-60 in 2.95 seconds melting these past modified cars that you pointed out for some odd reason, what's your point?

Name:  12604720_1108333602534789_5494141632312675972_o_zpsc1tunrgj.jpg
Views: 4531
Size:  126.8 KB

Last edited by Stripeknight; 03-14-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:11 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Stripeknight
Cool, my 2016 Z06 Corvette with 650 HP does 0-60 in 2.95 seconds melting these past cars that you pointed out for some odd reason, what's your point?
Just showing that being interested in 0-60 for a Mini doesn't mean your oblivious to what actual fast RWD cars can do. Why are you being a Dic$? Are you the NAM police? By the way, show me a video of you running 2.9 in that bad boy. I seriously doubt you'll break 3's. Lets see it.

Last edited by Grip Grip; 03-14-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:13 PM
Stripeknight
2nd Gear
Just showing that being interested in 0-60 for a Mini doesn't mean your oblivious to what actual fast RWD cars can do. Why are you being a Dic$? Are you the NAM police?
Not at all was just curious why we switched to other cars. . Look up 0-60 times in the new Z06, they are well documented in the Automatic (the manual is 3.2 0-60 I believe) to be under 3 seconds stock factory and compete from a metrics perspective in Motor Trends last test with the new Viper ACR to answer you edited updated last post. Annnyways, if you have any other info on modded 0-60 times on the R53 any info is appreciated my good sir. Fast forward to minute 4:00 for the slower manual, the slower manual clocked in the fastest figure 8 test in Motor Trends history that wasn't a million dollar 918 porshe and they mention that it this vehicle has the highest lateral grip in their decades of testing that was not a race car ;p

Last edited by Stripeknight; 03-14-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:26 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
You could probably drop 10 grand into a mini r53 and still get beat by a 300hp v6 Toyota Camry. Minis just aren't made for drag racing.....it's like trying to turn a dump truck into a track car.....a waste of time. You would be money ahead to sell the mini and buy a nice used early 2000 model LS1 Camaro, and put a turbo or supercharger on it. But its your money.......I'm sure there are plenty of shops out there that would gladly take it.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:30 PM
Stripeknight
2nd Gear
You could probably drop 10 grand into a mini r53 and still get beat by a 300hp v6 Toyota Camry. Minis just aren't made for drag racing.....it's like trying to turn a dump truck into a track car.....a waste of time. You would be money ahead to sell the mini and buy a nice used early 2000 model LS1 Camaro, and put a turbo or supercharger on it. But its your money.......I'm sure there are plenty of shops out there that would gladly take it.
Yeah I see your point.... I would probably rather purchase a new Ford RS than drop that kind of money for mediocre results as I am very partial to hatchbacks. I do really like my R53 however, other than the original it's my favorite looking Mini of all time.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:37 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear

Dude, I'd never dump money into making the Mini a drag car. There are way too many financial obstacles to such an adventure and I fully agree with you. You can drop 2 grand in mods into a 7K Crossfire SRT6 and run mid 11's. Another $500 for nitrous and 10's are possible. That's less than just the mods you'd need to get a Mini moving.

However, I'd be tempted to throw nitrous and drag radials on one I bought already modded and try to run a decent 1/4 for ***** and giggles and see how it stands on dragtimes.com. That's whats in the back of my head. Maybe spraying a 75 shot once it hits 3rd and see if I can get it into the low 13's or high 12's. This would just be cheap fun for me, as I'd do the work myself. But honestly, testing the 0-60 and posting in this thread had nothing to do with that thought.

I still like running the Mini in the curves daily, even with the slow 5.8 0-60. I do think it's good to know how to properly launch your own car, and measuring the 0-60 is a good way of doing so. Apples to apples, if I'm seeing high 5's and a comparable setup car is getting low 5's, I'm going to be asking questions and figuring it out. Nothing good comes out of blaming the Mini's FWD limitations for the owner's/driver's inability to properly launch the car.

Last edited by Grip Grip; 03-14-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:56 PM
Stripeknight
2nd Gear
Dude, I'd never dump money into making the Mini a drag car. There are way too many financial obstacles to such an adventure and I fully agree with you. You can drop 2 grand in mods into a 7K Crossfire SRT6 and run mid 11's. Another $500 for nitrous and 10's are possible. That's less than just the mods you'd need to get a Mini moving.

However, I'd be tempted to throw nitrous and drag radials on one I bought already modded and try to run a decent 1/4 for ***** and giggles and see how it stands on dragtimes.com. That's whats in the back of my head. Maybe spraying a 75 shot once it hits 3rd and see if I can get it into the low 13's or high 12's. This would just be cheap fun for me, as I'd do the work myself. But honestly, testing the 0-60 and posting in this thread had nothing to do with that thought.

I still like running the Mini in the curves daily, even with the slow 5.8 0-60. I do think it's good to know how to properly launch your own car, and measuring the 0-60 is a good way of doing so. Apples to apples, if I'm seeing high 5's and a comparable setup car is getting low 5's, I'm going to be asking questions and figuring it out. Nothing good comes out of blaming the Mini's FWD limitations for the owner's/driver's inability to properly launch the car.

if you are having trouble launching your car, just ask, we can help you out with that!

Old 03-14-2017, 08:59 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
.... wow, if you are having trouble launching your car, just ask, we can help you out with that!
I think I'm doing okay, but thanks.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:54 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
I'm not saying that people don't like making more power in order to get their mini a little quicker.......they do. But 98% of the people who buy these little cars are more concerned about braking, handling, and looks.....not 0-60 speeds. And with the cost and labor associated with changing a clutch in these cars....most people don't abuse the clutch trying to launch as hard as they can.

Could you put drag radials on the front and take the car to the strip? Sure....try it and let everyone know how it goes. It might work out great, or it might end up in some broken front driveshafts and/or a smoked clutch.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:38 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 265 Likes on 211 Posts
However, I'd be tempted to throw nitrous and drag radials on one I bought already modded and try to run a decent 1/4 for ***** and giggles and see how it stands on dragtimes.com. That's whats in the back of my head. Maybe spraying a 75 shot once it hits 3rd and see if I can get it into the low 13's or high 12's.
the weight transfer is so bad it'll just spin through 2nd gear

if you want to see what it will take, look at the civics that drag race with giant front tires and bars on the back so it does not weight transfer so bad

Old 03-15-2017, 05:41 AM
MF-DIF
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eh I dunno. You could say the same for a 91 Honda Civic hatch. A lot of those embarrassing 500+hp V8s now a days. A lot of them also embarrassing themselves.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:40 PM
sherman89
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool, my stock 2016 Z06 Corvette with 650 HP and 650 lb feet of torque does 0-60 in 2.95 seconds melting these past modified cars that you pointed out for some odd reason, what's your
Take your Vette to the Autocross course and any stock Copper S with a good driver will probably put you on the trailer, I know I have beat a few including a C-7. I know you have asked abut 0-60 numbers but people buy Min's for their economy and and most of us by the Copper S for the handling. Like others have said there are plenty of cars that will easily beat the Copper and one-----the Focus RS with a good driver will easily beat the Copper in a Autocross for 2 times the purchase price. By the way you will test the clutch in Autocross on the start line---- it is a game of inches and milliseconds. I have a 03 R-53 that I use for Autocross and run it in the D/S class, if you come to Florida with the Vette I will go head to head with you in Autocross.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:18 PM
JimR56JCW
3rd Gear
I know it's not really the point of these cars but I am trying to understand where you can be with roughly $5,000 in modifications and where your 0-60 times will be, I've heard some guys are getting between 300-400 hp but I'm not sure how much they are paying for that kind of HP.

Also, I know traction becomes a big issue but with a really good launch I am curious what these cars can do in a straight line.
Wow. He just wants some 0-60 numbers if there are any. People are telling him where to spend his 5 grand, or why do you want to build a drag car. Bring your other car to the Auto-x and I'll smoke you, and other off topic stuff. This is why I generally keep to myself on these forums.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:21 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 260 Likes on 194 Posts
I guess it all depends on what you call fun.
Personally I'd rather be the 1 guy that got the car that "shouldn't", to work, than one if the hundreds that have one of the "uhh, no surprise there" cars.
Here's a few examples of what is possible:

An Oldie:

Old 03-16-2017, 02:39 AM
Stripeknight
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JimR56JCW
Wow. He just wants some 0-60 numbers if there are any. People are telling him where to spend his 5 grand, or why do you want to build a drag car. Bring your other car to the Auto-x and I'll smoke you, and other off topic stuff. This is why I generally keep to myself on these forums.
Yeah good point, there really has only been one decent reply to this entire thread with a posted time, I suppose because you can buy one of these cars now a days for under $5 grand everyone else has no idea of the real performance capabilities of a highly modded R53.

On a side note all the people saying they can smoke a new Z06 with their Mini's at a track are either trolling or really know nothing about cars but we can let them dream I suppose.. Here is how it sounds: "Hey bro! bring your Vette to Florida and I will smoke you with my superior driving skills, I smoke the 10th fastest current production car in the world all the time with my sub 5.9 0-60 second mini all the time because it is ment to corner and I am really that good!! derp

I like the R53, but I only drive mine a few times a month usually to the grocery store, I like to mod cars so I am just curious about the raw numbers which few people can afford to produce as they haven't really modded and tested their cars it seems, after reading the unsubstantiated arm chair track car guy posts who can smoke a bugatti because they are so skilled on a track I find this thread more and more laughable.

Produce tested numbers or you are just yapping in this thread about what you feel like this vehicle should do and why most people bought one 12-16 years ago. We all know they are cute and that's why you bought one and they are good in a corner.

Please refer to the original post.....

Last edited by Stripeknight; 03-16-2017 at 03:05 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:56 AM
sherman89
4th Gear
Yeah good point, there really has only been one decent reply to this entire thread with a posted time, I suppose because you can buy one of these cars now a days for under $5 grand everyone else has no idea of the real performance capabilities of a highly modded R53.

On a side note all the people saying they can smoke a new Z06 with their Mini's at a track are either trolling or really know nothing about cars but we can let them dream I suppose.. Here is how it sounds: "Hey bro! bring your Vette to Florida and I will smoke you with my superior driving skills, I smoke the 10th fastest current production car in the world all the time with my sub 5.9 0-60 second mini all the time because it is ment to corner and I am really that good!! derp

I like the R53, but I only drive mine a few times a month usually to the grocery store, I like to mod cars so I am just curious about the raw numbers which few people can afford to produce as they haven't really modded and tested their cars it seems, after reading the unsubstantiated arm chair track car guy posts who can smoke a bugatti because they are so skilled on a track I find this thread more and more laughable.

Produce tested numbers or you are just yapping in this thread about what you feel like this vehicle should do and why most people bought one 12-16 years ago. We all know they are cute and that's why you bought one and they are good in a corner.

Please refer to the original post.....
My point was: Your 06 corvette in capable hands of a skilled autocross experienced driver will smoke my Copper S hands down. As I said earlier people do not buy Minis to drag race and since you own both the Vette and a Mini I am surprised you would bother with the question of 0-60 numbers when you already own one of the fastest production cars. It takes a lot time and experience to learn how to manage the throttle and brakes in high horsepower Corvette----I know because I have owned them in the past and your 06 is no slug. Autocross is measured in inches and milliseconds. My earlier comments where made with tongue in cheek but were taken out of context.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:58 PM
Stripeknight
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sherman89
My point was: Your 06 corvette in capable hands of a skilled autocross experienced driver will smoke my Copper S hands down. As I said earlier people do not buy Minis to drag race and since you own both the Vette and a Mini I am surprised you would bother with the question of 0-60 numbers when you already own one of the fastest production cars. It takes a lot time and experience to learn how to manage the throttle and brakes in high horsepower Corvette----I know because I have owned them in the past and your 06 is no slug. Autocross is measured in inches and milliseconds. My earlier comments where made with tongue in cheek but were taken out of context.
Ah I understand now, my apologies.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:43 PM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Why don't you use the features incorporated into the Scangauge or go to a local dragstrip?

ISAMIN

Old 03-17-2017, 11:08 PM
Stripeknight
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sherman89
oh and it's a 16 not a 06 ;p

Old 03-18-2017, 05:01 AM
sherman89
4th Gear
I meant : Z06, and now it is time for me to apologize.

Old 12-02-2020, 01:31 AM
Carlie 31
Originally Posted by Saltysalt
best 0-60 mod would be a quaife LSD. then sticky tires. power is useless if you cannot put it down.

so $1000 for the diff, $600 for tires, $$$$ on light weight wheels depending on whats on there. the "slites" are about 26lb of rotating mass, change to a 16lb wheel theres a noticeable difference in acceleration.

a 220 whp mini which is very attainable at a lower price range with the LSD and good tires will always beat a fully modded BVH or turbo r53 without a LSD from 0-60.

even with my LSD (stock) and 300 treadwear tires, I blow the tires off at 4k rpm from a roll (1st), with mild spinning into 2nd and chirping 3rd. I have a pulley, intake, and full exhaust. good guestimate would be around 190whp. I also have lightweight wheels
ooh definitely get a bypass valve you get on average one more psi of boost

Old 12-02-2020, 04:36 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Carlie 31
ooh definitely get a bypass valve you get on average one more psi of boost
A closed valve is a closed valve. You aren't going to build any more boost unless your current BPV has something wrong with it.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:07 PM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 563 Likes on 456 Posts
Agreed, but peak acceleration timing is dependent on when the BPV opens. If it stays closed longer, it builds boost quicker. Consequently, it improves the bottom end acceleration. Isn't that the reason you installed the DT?

Old 12-02-2020, 07:19 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
No matter what BPV you are running......when you stomp the gas and go 100% throttle opening, you lose engine vacuum and the spring in the BPV will slam the valve closed.....and you get full boost.

At mid/part throttle you get more boost with the detroit BPV because of the stiffer spring.....but at wide open throttle......it's all the same.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Fastest 0-60 modded R53?