R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Fault Codes After Getting Towed

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 07:57 AM
osnapcoopertime
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fault Codes After Getting Towed

Hello, my car was wrongly towed and after getting it back I was alerted through VYNCS of three fault codes. P18B8, P1776, C0300. I have no warnings or check engine lights on but I did hook up my OBD reader and sure enough the codes are there but it wont let me erase them. Im pretty sure the fault codes are related to the car getting towed. Any suggestions?

PS I know some will be curious of why the car was towed.... It was at an apt complex because my car didnt have a parking tag they towed it. Even though I was in my friends parking spot and had permission to be there. My friend had to go get the car out which was complete BS.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:36 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
P18B8, P1776, C0300.

Could not find anything on P18B8. P1XXX error codes are manufacturer specific.

P1776: Got lucky with this one I think: Solenoid Switch Valve Latched in Low Reverse Position.

C0300: Rear speed sensor malfunction. The car was probably towed with its nose in the air and the rear of the car supported by its rear tires.

That you can't clear this with an OBD2 reader suggests the codes are probably "permanent", in that they can only be cleared by the engine controller if after a number of warm up cycles the error condition is no longer present. I would hazard a guess they'll all clear with some driving, probably (there's that word again) with not much driving.

Heads up: If while you are driving the car and if you hear any sounds note any odd behavior pull over ASAP. While I doubt it the car might have suffered some drive train damage from the tow and you don't want to make this worse.

The general rule with cars and untoward noises is no car ever got better with more driving.

The following 2 users liked this post by RockC:
MINI_42 (10-20-2020), osnapcoopertime (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 02:14 PM
osnapcoopertime
1st Gear
Also have a P1776. Can the tow company be liable for this? This happened because of them. Or the apt complex.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:26 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
You can actually prove they caused these faults ?

Old 01-26-2018, 01:20 PM
osnapcoopertime
1st Gear
Well the codes cleared by themselves. RockC was right!

PS: I could have proved it because the faults happened while the car was at their tow lot. I have the GPS map showing the car sitting on their lot and the time stamp of the faults at the same time. VYNCS! At first I thought the car was stolen. When I zoomed into where it was parked, I saw it was a tow lot.

If anyone is interested in VYNCS, here is $5 off if you use my link:
https://vyncs.poweredbyagnik.com/ind...f=NDgyMjk1NTg3

And to hide the GPS you will need one of these:
Amazon Amazon

The following users liked this post:
Harbor (01-26-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 12:40 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
Glad to read you got the codes to clear.

Tow companies deal with claims of problems and damages and what have you constantly. Some claims are of course perfectly legitimate but the company is going to deny every one.

You would almost certainly then be forced to attempt to resolve this in I guess small claims court. I'm sure the tow company has someone on retainer that specializes in small claims court actions and your case had better be super solid or you'll lose.

My best advice is to in the future be darn sure you avoid parking in a place that puts your car at risk of being towed. I have watched tow trucks in action and they'll circle areas like vultures over a dead deer looking for an opportunity to tow a vehicle. This is how they make their living and they will not cut you any slack. Once the hook goes on the car the car is as good as towed. Then you get to deal with the warm kind gentle understanding person at the tow lot office. Not!

These people have all the empathy for you as a hungry lion has for a crippled wildebeast that said something nasty about the lion's mother.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:40 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by osnapcoopertime
Well the codes cleared by themselves. RockC was right!

PS: I could have proved it because the faults happened while the car was at their tow lot. I have the GPS map showing the car sitting on their lot and the time stamp of the faults at the same time. VYNCS! At first I thought the car was stolen. When I zoomed into where it was parked, I saw it was a tow lot.

If anyone is interested in VYNCS, here is $5 off if you use my link:
https://vyncs.poweredbyagnik.com/ind...f=NDgyMjk1NTg3

And to hide the GPS you will need one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
What RockC said! Listen, its nice that you are able to show the codes were viewed in the tow lot but you have nothing to prove that they weren't there before your car was towed other than what you believe. That will be their defence and it will be a solid defence unless you have a witness (such as a MINI repair shop) to confirm there were no codes before it was towed....

Just for my clarity though.... does this 'Vyncs' have access to your car codes in some way?

Glad to hear though that RockC was right and the codes cleared themselves.