R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Smelly Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 12:05 PM
DR61
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DR61
We haven't used AC yet so can't comment on what affect it has on launching with the clutch. I know it did have some negative effects on my R53. Without AC and Sport OFF so far no smell and no problems with clutch. Looks like warm weather in the next few days so I'll try AC on when launching and report back.
Just drove around with AC on. It seems like there is only a slight reduction in low-RPM torque at startup; however the effect seems less than I experienced with the R53. On the other hand it is only 71F out today and I had 68F set on the auto AC, so there was not much load on the system. Clutch take-up and launch was fine for moderate starts. With Sport button engaged it did feel a bit easier to get a quicker start due to the accelerator pedal re-mapping.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:11 PM
shark715
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks, sounds like a bit of good news. You are right about the R53, the difference with the A/C on is pronounced. When I'm in traffic sometimes I'll shut off the A/C just to avoid the issue. By the way, there's no variable load with the A/C compressor, it's either engaged or not. Thanks again.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:33 PM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
On the smelly clutch, I have experienced a smell from the clutch after having to backup on a very very steep driveway (I live in the hills near San Francisco). I have not experinced in normal driving, even in the City in steep sections like Divisadero.

That being said, I am wondering if the clutch smell could be happening when the car is cold and the engine is working differently than warmed up. The clutch take up seems to not only have improved with the miles, but also since I put in the VIP air intake. I can't prove it since it is a feel sort of thing but I wonder if the standard air box is not letting enough air in and with a cold engine you have to over-rev the motor on steep inclines. Anyone else??

In regards to warranty responses from the dealers, I would be persistent or go to a different dealer if you happen to be blessed with several in your area. In 15 plus years with MINI's and BMW's, it seems that they typically go the extra mile to resolve issues, but on two occasions I had warranty issues resolved without hassle or aggravation by visiting a different dealership.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:55 PM
shark715
6th Gear
Thanks, I know where you are, and you are right, some of those hills just don't get steeper than that ...but we have a few around here, too. In 150k miles I've never ever smelled the clutch in my R53, and I've started off from being stopped on plenty of very steep hills and driveways. But I do think of what the R53 would be like on those hills if it had another 600 to 700 lbs. of people and/or luggage in it, and I don't think it would be good. I'm still thinking a significant part of the issue is that BMW tried to cut a corner by using the standard MCS clutch.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:40 PM
hooray4kurt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys I currently own a countryman S (not ALL4) and I have racked up 20,500 miles on my car with not a single problem with my clutch. Of course every once in a while I get the smell (particularly with SOME hill starts in San Francisco), but it has never been overbearing. I am a new manual driver and I am very very careful with the clutch (so as not too look like a noob) and she has performed splendidly! I like the clutch pickup, in fact, I feel there is a sweet spot in the travel. Its almost to the end of the travel right where the clutch suddenly gets.. uhh... rubber-bandy haha. Careful modulation certainly helps.

I drive a large mix of highway and city miles. Lots of hill starts and many stints into San Francisco.

Only issue I had was with the darn trim coming off, although I plan on blacking those out. In may I get my JCW exhaust installed on Scarlette!!!

Old 04-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Cobra-racer
3rd Gear
Check out this month's issue of Automobile. They replaced a clutch in their long term All 4 S at 15,000 miles. MINI covered it but the comment "it was decided that we wouldn't have to pay for the new clutch and flywheel" concerns me. They also feel the clutch isn't up to the task of the turbo lag moving the heavier CMS.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:05 PM
shark715
6th Gear
Actually in the Febuary issue they reported they finally had the clutch replaced, but perhaps they are still discussing the situation in the April issue as there was mention of it in March too. We have a CMSA4 with a stick on order, and this is very scary. We don't need to deal with a car with this serious a design flaw.

Last edited by shark715; 04-21-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:25 PM
inh
2nd Gear
This should be interesting.. We pick up our manual CM4 mid next week... We got the extended service plan after verifying that a clutch replacement is indeed included.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Sir Stirling
2nd Gear
Just shy of 12k and clutch seems to be near gone. Will report back what MINI says about it on Monday. :(

And this after 2 injectors failed at 8k... and the 'chrome' debacle... not a stellar 'first Mini' experience here.

-Tad

Old 05-21-2012, 07:10 PM
beauxgoris
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Sir Stirling
Just shy of 12k and clutch seems to be near gone. Will report back what MINI says about it on Monday. :(

And this after 2 injectors failed at 8k... and the 'chrome' debacle... not a stellar 'first Mini' experience here.

-Tad
I hope they cover it!

Old 05-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Midnight Blue
5th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Clutch replaced at 4965 miles. 18mos left on lease. Hopefully the replacement clutch lasts that long. This is a design flaw. Too many documented cases to dispute that the clutch is inadequate for the vehicle. Hopefully the new heavy duty JCW clutch makes it into standard All4 production. Until then, buy an automatic when buying an All4.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Rockland
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Midnight Blue
MINI USA knows about these clutch "issues" that are apparently not considered actual problems. Rather they are responding to premature clutch failures on a customer by customer basis. Wish they would be more proactive and replace failing clutches with heavier duty components.
Agreed 100%. I have had my CM S for about 4 months and 5,400 miles, and I really hate the clutch (from day 1). I have been driving with manual transmissions for over 30 years and this clutch is as vague as the 1975 Toyota Corolla I learned on. A real disappointment for a car with BMW genes.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:19 PM
NNJMCS
1st Gear
Just chiming in to share my clutch smell as well at 2300 miles. Been driving manual transmission for 20+ years. Hope it lasts,grrrrrr.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:22 AM
shark715
6th Gear
I was hoping they had this resolved. We take delivery this Friday...the first hint I get of an issue it's back to the dealer to get it documented.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Midnight Blue
5th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by shark715
I was hoping they had this resolved. We take delivery this Friday...the first hint I get of an issue it's back to the dealer to get it documented.
Document everything. Was essential when it came time to replace the clutch. We knew it was coming, the dealer knew it was coming and MINI USA knew it was coming. So when it finally happened, it was not a surprise. Our clutch was "worn to the rivets" when it was replaced at 4965 miles.

If you start to experience clutch problems, also make sure you remark that on any survey you get from MINI.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:54 AM
mare0114
1st Gear
Does anyone have a sense of how widespread this issue is? Is it something that there is, say, a greater than 50% chance of me having a problem with or does it seem to be more of a widespread issue simply because the majority of people posting to this thread have had this issue?

I am a relative newbie to driving manual (drove some in college, and recently took some lessons with a professional as well as having various jaunts in my friend's car) and just ordered my ALL4 in manual last week since MINI really seems like it should be driven as a manual. All of the talk on this thread is making me nervous I'm going to break my car on the drive home .

Old 06-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Mojito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mare0114
Does anyone have a sense of how widespread this issue is? Is it something that there is, say, a greater than 50% chance of me having a problem with or does it seem to be more of a widespread issue simply because the majority of people posting to this thread have had this issue?

I am a relative newbie to driving manual (drove some in college, and recently took some lessons with a professional as well as having various jaunts in my friend's car) and just ordered my ALL4 in manual last week since MINI really seems like it should be driven as a manual. All of the talk on this thread is making me nervous I'm going to break my car on the drive home .
I'm sure there are many people doing just fine. Mine has smelled, but been fine for 15k.

the design itself should have been updated. Between the extra weight of the Countryman and the split power of the All4, its just too much for the clutch. I opted for the extended maintenance till 100k, figuring it would go.

But think of it this way, even replacing the clutch out of warranty once is still cheaper than buying the auto

Old 06-05-2012, 11:18 AM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guess I should look into the extended service plan or warranty. Which makes more sense?
I would find it hard to believe that the premature worn out clutches are due solely to the added weight and all wheel drive of the CM. Sounds like something out of adjustment, where it's constantly in contact, burning out and smelling. Would like to know the real reason. In the meantime, as a new and admittedly clunky manual driver, I'll keep on driving the **** out of it. 12500 miles so far and so good.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:22 AM
mare0114
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sirbikes
Guess I should look into the extended service plan or warranty. Which makes more sense?
I would find it hard to believe that the premature worn out clutches are due solely to the added weight and all wheel drive of the CM. Sounds like something out of adjustment, where it's constantly in contact, burning out and smelling. Would like to know the real reason. In the meantime, as a new and admittedly clunky manual driver, I'll keep on driving the **** out of it. 12500 miles so far and so good.

Well that is somewhat heartening. I am leasing for 3 years with 36K miles. I commute via train into the city which means this will basically just be a weekend car, so hopefully if something does go awry it will still be under warranty.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Mojito
5th Gear
well the warranty is considerably more expensive, but they cover different thing. The maintenance is your oil changes, 30/60k checkups etc, brakes, clutch . . . anything that should be replaced or changed before 100k.

The warranty won't cover any of that, but if your engine dies or something weird, that would be covered.

Also keep in mind, you can haggle over the price a bit, but since you already purchased the car, your buying power is decreased.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:42 AM
DR61
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sirbikes
I agree. Some cars, maybe most, are fine, so I think the problems happen with some cars that got out of spec parts or have some sort of assembly error.

So far (2600 miles) ours has worked well; still not even a stall with our two drivers.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:54 AM
brownsca
1st Gear
When I test drove back in March I smelled clutch, but I assumed that I must have been doing something wrong. I believe it was an earlier 2011 model.

I've had my car for 2 months and drive on some very steep hills here in San Francisco, including my own street where a have to start out with a 'climb' every morning.

I have not smelled any clutch burn yet. But I will say that the car does seem underpowered on the steepest hills and does require building up rpms and engaging the clutch slowly to avoid a stall - which I'm sure will shorten the clutch's lifespan (but hopefully from 70k to 60k or something like that).

Old 06-05-2012, 02:44 PM
ghamma
5th Gear
16,000 miles - accelerating hard into traffic on CA Hwy 1 this weekend, the clutch complained odoriferously, but ya gotta go for it when you're as heavy as the ALL4...

Old 06-05-2012, 09:26 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Instead of the extended maintenance I may just put the money aside with the expectation that I will have to replace the clutch sooner than what would be considered normal clutch life, which may or may not be out of warranty by then. And then I'll replace it with some heavier duty aftermarket clutch designed for the CM or maybe the JCW version. In the meantime I will continue flogging my car. It's too much fun to drive to worry about it. I am working on accelerating faster - I had it going from stop to 85mph in about 1/4 mile which I think is pretty good for me. Sometimes I don't time the shifting perfect and it gets a little jerky.

Originally Posted by Mojito
well the warranty is considerably more expensive, but they cover different thing. The maintenance is your oil changes, 30/60k checkups etc, brakes, clutch . . . anything that should be replaced or changed before 100k.

The warranty won't cover any of that, but if your engine dies or something weird, that would be covered.

Also keep in mind, you can haggle over the price a bit, but since you already purchased the car, your buying power is decreased.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Jeremy Brooks
3rd Gear
I have been driving stick since I got my first car in 1987. The Countryman is by far the worst manual transmission I have ever driven. Every one of my friends that has driven the car comments on what a crappy transmission it has. It's the worst feature on that car, easily.

Quick Reply: R60 Smelly Clutch