North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r60-countryman-talk-2010-2015-355/)
-   -   R60 2013 mini countryman suspension upgrades (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r60-countryman-talk-2010-2015/334167-2013-mini-countryman-suspension-upgrades.html)

Drewsmini15 12-14-2018 04:22 PM

2013 mini countryman suspension upgrades

Sooo i have a 2013 mini countryman S All 4 andi want to have a smoother ride, and better handling. My brother suggested that i get a coilover kit and have it installed. However, when i went to my mini mechanic they said not so fast. I shouldnt do a coilover kit if im just looking for great handling and a smoother ride. Oh, One issue i have is everytime i go over a bump over 40 mph my steering wheel slightly jerks to the right. I never experienced this from a car and im wondering wth could it be. Anyone have a better idea of what i should do for suspension upgrades, handling, and this annoying jerk while going over a bump? Thanks in advance!!!

mikey_t 12-14-2018 05:13 PM

IF you haven't already done so, there are many threads on this site telling you to ditch the run flats that came with the car and install regular tires to improve the ride. Personally i wouldn't bother with coil-overs and would simply upgrade the shocks if the tires dont do enough improvement for you. A camber check & alignment might be needed also.

Drewsmini15 12-14-2018 05:18 PM

My co-worker mentioned to ditch the run-flats. Thanks!

dmath 12-14-2018 05:44 PM

Many years ago, when I first saw an ad for run-flats, I thought it was a cool idea. Now that I've had them on a couple of cars, I think they're a horrible idea. Get rid of them ASAP. You might also look into a bigger rear sway bar for the better handling side of things.

mikey_t 12-14-2018 08:12 PM

I know everyone hates them but I've had them on my 2011 Justa and they've been fine since day 1. I will admit though that the ride smooths out somewhat when i install my non run flat winter tires.

Jwanck11 12-18-2018 06:50 AM

With no spare, I run the run flats without question. I have no interest in being stranded!

Better shocks and a rear sway bar will help!

Drewsmini15 02-28-2019 09:22 PM

Quick update.... i got some qoutes on installation of the rear sway bar and two people told me it would be $600+ for labor because the sway bar is under the subframe. Since thats the case then it will take a long time to install and its a pain in the ass to install.. Thoughts?

Minnie.the.Moocher 02-28-2019 09:56 PM

Most shops use book rates for estimating installs. I never looked at what is involved with the CM install, but for my F56 the shops all wanted 4-5 hours of install time and some guys on NAM are doing it on the garage floor in less than two hours without a lift.

eric.stewart 03-01-2019 06:45 AM

Agreed with advice you've obtained so far. I wouldn't even bother with the sway bar until you've ditched the run-flats. Don't forget to buy a tire inflator kit (compressor + goo or a all-in-one can) to throw in your trunk.

Alpha Motoring 05-04-2019 01:30 PM

Although the sway bar is a labor intensive job, a shop familiar with aftermarket MINI parts typically does it for far less than the quoted book time. Find a shop around you that is well versed in aftermarket MINI parts to do the rear sway bar. While you're there I recommend doing the trailing arm bushing.

Alpha Motoring 05-04-2019 01:31 PM

I highly recommend ditching the runflats too. On my R60 JCW I am running Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and they made a HUGE difference from the factory Pirelli RF tires.

alan_florsheim 05-22-2019 11:17 AM

I just did it myself, following the instructions, on a lift and it took me 2.5 hours. And that was slow. Work with your shop and see what you can do.

I will say the difference is immediately noticeable. Highly recommended.

dmath 05-22-2019 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by alan_florsheim (Post 4471303)
I just did it myself, following the instructions, on a lift and it took me 2.5 hours. And that was slow. Work with your shop and see what you can do.

I will say the difference is immediately noticeable. Highly recommended.

Following instructions that came with the sway bar or online? Which sway bar did you install? Thanks.

alan_florsheim 05-23-2019 07:27 AM

I installed an My7 adjustable rear bar, bought from ECS. I used the instructions provided and they were very clear. Now I did go to a local rental garage with a lift and a transmission jack (something is needed to support the rear carrier when you lower it). It could be done on the ground for sure, but by desire to crawl around on a creeper has diminished with age :).

dmath 05-23-2019 07:17 PM

Thanks Alan.