1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Anti-Theft protection isn't a standard feature?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:12 AM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the anti-theft key qualifies for insurance purposes; I told my insurance company it had that and they gave me the discount. I once lived in a very dense area (Baloa Island, Newort Beach, CA) and there was nothing worse than the annoying beep-beep alarm systems people had (not to mention when they actually go off!); especially at all hours of the night!

+A zillion for no alarm and putting the $$$ into other options.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alarm Light on an R60 via NCS Expert

I believe there is a difference in the tach-mounted alarm LED behavior on the R56-series and on the R60 (which is also based on the R56 control modules!). On the R56, you could enable the alarm LED to produce a "heartbeat" or "snore" blink using NCS Expert to modify one of the SPEG module settings (DWA_VERBAUT). This same modification on an R60 does not put the LED into a heartbeat, or so I understand. On the R60, I think there is a difference in the hardware between the SPEG module and the LED.

GeoffreyM or theta may have some updated information about this...

Old 01-12-2012, 08:54 AM
dharvey1221
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was told by my MA that the car has a basic alarm system. If the car is locked and someone opens the door without the FAB (unlock) then the horn will go off. She said that the added package gave the alarm sensors so that if someone rocked the car or smashed a window it would then go off. Haven't tested so not sure if this is correct.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:38 AM
DR61
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the R60 come with a spare wallet key like my R53 has (in case the remote is misplaced or locked in the car)?

Old 01-12-2012, 11:46 AM
FredoinSF
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine did not.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:02 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Soonersdude
I wish I could interpret this.
Sorry. The above is correct. You can buy a ~$100 cable and get free software to make tons of changes to your car that even the dealer cannot. It can be tedious and complicated but many here have done it and will help you learn. Or you can find a local member to you and have them do it.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:28 PM
modemjunkie
2nd Gear
Question How can I find my car?

It never dawned on me that a 2012 car wouldn't have a theft alarm or a panic button. I don't need to hear a beep when the doors lock, but in large parking lots and multi-story garages, hitting the panic button was often the only way I could find my Mazda3, and it was orange. Not the cool blue and white of my "new" Mini Cooper Countryman S. I always write the floor number in an app in my phone, but in a large lot that often isn't enough.

There must be a cost effective way?

Len

After originally posting I found a listing for my car by the previous dealer. The listing does include "anti-theft system" so I would assume it should still be in the car, unless that refers to the ignition system?

Last edited by modemjunkie; 11-05-2015 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Found additional info.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:04 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Reviving a 3 yr old thread.. Let me get this straight.. you dont know if your car has an anti-theft alarm but you found an advertisement for it from the dealer who sold you the car and you want us to confirm if you have, or dont have, an alarm system??

Old 11-05-2015, 08:34 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
When you hit the unlock button on the fob, lights should flash.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:36 PM
modemjunkie
2nd Gear
What I want to know and why.

Originally Posted by mikey_t
Reviving a 3 yr old thread.. Let me get this straight.. you dont know if your car has an anti-theft alarm but you found an advertisement for it from the dealer who sold you the car and you want us to confirm if you have, or dont have, an alarm system??
Not quite right.

The info from the dealer I bought the car from didn't mention the subject. It was not a Mini dealer and the info seems incomplete but not fraudulent. For example, the dealer listed the car as manual transmission, but it was the automatic with the "manual" option. Obviously I noticed that. But I didn't even think about the anti-theft feature until I parked in a large lot. Later, I couldn't find the car without wandering up and down a couple of aisles. When I got home I went online and learned that holding the "trunk unlock" button on the key for a couple of seconds should set off the alarm, but it didn't.

Tonight I did some VIN searches and discovered the previous dealer, which was listed in the Carfax report (the car was first sold to a private party in 2014, even though it is a 2012) had what seems a more complete description of the car and the "features." That site listed "anti-theft system."

So that is a lot of words for a simple situation.

The car is listed somewhere else as "Mini Cooper Countryman S Base."

I guess I am learning a lot about Minis a week late.

So my question is, how can I determine or test whether this car has an anti-theft system or if it has one but is defective or if I have to do something to activate it that I don't know about.

I have attached a pdf of the description from the previous dealer.

Thanks.

Last edited by modemjunkie; 11-05-2015 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Add attachment
Old 11-05-2015, 08:42 PM
modemjunkie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
When you hit the unlock button on the fob, lights should flash.
They do. That helps if I am close enough to see them.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:46 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
If you have the alarm, it automatically activates after you lock the car. After the alarm is activated, an LED at the top of the tach flashes slowly and continously (see your Owners Manual). If you don't see a flashing LED, you don't have the alarm system.

This VIN decoder doesn't list the alarm as an option on your vehicle: http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html. The alarm system is relatively rare because it is an expensive option and MINI has a low theft rate.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:04 PM
modemjunkie
2nd Gear
Thanks, I'll have to get a Tracker.

I have gotten used to using the alarm on my old car. Guess I'll have to get one of those "tracker" devices that I can locate from my phone.

The good price I got on this car may turn out to be just a down payment. :(

Thanks,

Len

Old 11-06-2015, 11:10 AM
modemjunkie
2nd Gear
Question Slowly I am learning... still need help

Two things.

1, The user manual I was given was published in 2013 and shows only speedometers with the information screen. It does not show how to set options on cars without that screen.

2, The manual does not show any lights above the tachometer. However, the car does have an orange strip running across the top of the tach. I assume that is where the lights are that should show whether the alarm system is armed. However, I have never seen any lights flash there.

I am attaching a photo.

Thank for your help

Len

Is the light on top the anti-theft display?

Is the orange strip across the top the anti-theft status indicator?

Old 11-06-2015, 01:23 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
You can find Owner's Manuals here: http://www.miniusa.com/content/miniu...r-manuals.html
In the 2013 Countryman manual, the alarm is described on page 32.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:01 PM
modemjunkie
2nd Gear
Unhappy Nothing useful on p. 32.

Originally Posted by rkw
You can find Owner's Manuals here: http://www.miniusa.com/content/miniu...r-manuals.html
In the 2013 Countryman manual, the alarm is described on page 32.
Assuming that the manual I have, is actually the 2013 manual (it has a 2013 copyright), there is no relevant information on p. 32.

There is a sentence on P.33 that states that when locking or unlocking the car from outside with the remote control "the alarm system is armed or disarmed, refer to p. 41."

P.41 says, "The enabled alarm system reacts to the following....."
but gives no further info regarding how to enable the alarm. There is a reference to turning off the tilt alarm indicating that whe disabled "the LEDs flash in short succession . . . " but there is no indication of which LEDs.

I am sorry if I seem dense, but this is very confusing. Is there any other thing required to enable the alarm to be turned on or off?

Some setting somewhere?

And what is shown in the image I posted earlier.

Thanks,

Len

Old 11-07-2015, 08:51 AM
mikey_t
5th Gear
So... now you think you have a 2012 model but aren't sure because you have a 2013 manual? This really is not that difficult. There is no 'setting' that turns on/off your alarm system. Your car either has it or it does not. It does not appear that your car has the alarm system. And as for the model year, the VIN tool at the top of the page will answer that question. If you are still 'confused' then read the 2012 manual on page 28/29 in the link supplied by rkw. Sorry if i'm sounding a bit exasperated...

Old 11-07-2015, 12:25 PM
modemjunkie
2nd Gear
Forgive me.

So... now you think you have a 2012 model but aren't sure because you have a 2013 manual? This really is not that difficult. There is no 'setting' that turns on/off your alarm system. Your car either has it or it does not. It does not appear that your car has the alarm system. And as for the model year, the VIN tool at the top of the page will answer that question. If you are still 'confused' then read the 2012 manual on page 28/29 in the link supplied by rkw. Sorry if i'm sounding a bit exasperated...
I know I have a 2012, and was confused by the details in the manual my dealer gave me (he has now ordered a 2013 manual for me). I did download the 2012 manual (than you rkw), and I wish it had stated, "on cars with an alarm system,.... before going into the instructions."

I have now accepted that I do not have an alarm and so I will never be able to find my car without wandering like Tom Dooley, forever through mazes of garages.

This whole thing has convinced me of the foolhardiness of buying my first Mini from someone other than a Mini dealer, who could have answered many of my questions.

I am sure I will still post clueless questions until I develop a relationship with a dealer or authorized service location.

Thanks and apologies to all.
ney and has no function if there is no alarm.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:04 AM
osinkboy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lindseybp
Ughh horn blasts are the worst when locking/unlocking. The mini lock/unlock is an electronic beep.
Electronic beep? When I lock/unlock, I only see the lights flash and hear the sound the mechanical locks going up and down. Do you guys hear some sort of beep?

Old 11-08-2015, 08:59 AM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Originally Posted by osinkboy
Electronic beep? When I lock/unlock, I only see the lights flash and hear the sound the mechanical locks going up and down. Do you guys hear some sort of beep?
Here we go again... I believe they are referring to those cars that have the alarm system. The non-alarm cars simply flash their lights.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:18 AM
modemjunkie
2nd Gear
Ok... sorry I started this cycle. In any event. Ho do I tag or mark helpful or accurate responses.

[I hope there is no tag for stupid questions, I am sure I will ask more.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:32 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Originally Posted by modemjunkie
Ok... sorry I started this cycle. In any event. Ho do I tag or mark helpful or accurate responses.

[I hope there is no tag for stupid questions, I am sure I will ask more.
Good question. I'm not sure that you can other than saving a link under your Bookmarks and then renaming the link so you will know what it is for.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:44 PM
modemjunkie
2nd Gear
Good question. I'm not sure that you can other than saving a link under your Bookmarks and then renaming the link so you will know what it is for.
Once again, I have been inarticulate, a major failure for a retire English Teacher and lawyer. What I meant to say was, in some online forums there is a way to acknowledge helpful or accurate responses, giving positive feedback to the individual who provided the help and letting the community know, as well. I don't see that here.

In any case, thanks for your responses, patience and help.

Len

Old 11-08-2015, 11:48 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
It isn't you, it's the forum that's dysfunctional. Some forum features are disabled, and nobody uses tags because tags also used to be unavailable and nobody started using tags after it got turned on. It's ironic because the conglomerate Internet Brands is the owner of this site (North American Motoring), and they also own the vBulletin software that is widely used by online forums. This forum continued to use a badly outdated version of vBulletin for a long time, even though its parent owns the software.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:41 AM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I agree with rkw's response though. And they need a 'Like' button...

Quick Reply: R60 Anti-Theft protection isn't a standard feature?