1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:06 AM
snowboard1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Long term average according to the trip computer is around 28. With Cruise control 31. I think the range when the tank is full includes the reserve, the low fuel warning comes on for me with around a 55 mile range left....

Old 01-23-2012, 08:47 AM
SpeedyDD
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dharvey1221
Ironically seems that people with All 4's seem to have better mileage than standard Countryman S. I've had mixed traffic conditions so I have hovered around 26. Coming from a Corolla I was averaging 320 miles a tank. Countryman its been about 300 miles a tank. When you fill up and the trip computer tells you hey you should get 370 a tank, kinda stabs you in the side when you don't reach it. I know stars and moons have to line up 93 octane, cruise control, no traffic, etc. I guess I expected more.
It seems there are a number of factors involved, and on average I doubt that ALL4's really do better in terms of gas mileage than standard S vehicles. I would imagine only those people whose cars are doing pretty well or those that feel they are not getting enough mpg would post on this topic, so take the numbers with a grain of salt. In my case, my ALL4 is not really living up to my expectations, but seems to be improving a little, even with the snow, and cold temps. I'm still on 89 octane, and stop & go city traffic mostly, though. My average is about 25 mpg.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:59 AM
DR61
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by b&WCM
Strange, I have a manual CM All 4 2012 and I have been getting 31-32 on the highway and 27-28 around town. My combined is usually right at 30 mpg.

I live at 8000 feet, lots of hills and valleys. I usually run 75 on the highways and stop and go traffic in town.

So far no problems with this vehicle, not even effected by the recall. Hope it keeps it up!
Interesting... I've noticed when driving other turbocharged cars (Volvos mostly) that fuel economy seems to go up with altitude. Turbocharging was perfected back in the WWII era to help piston-engine combat aircraft at high altitudes, so it makes sense.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Zuman
2nd Gear
I was very disciplined for a two-week period and drove my All4 everywhere like a wuss with a raw egg between my foot and the gas pedal. In mixed driving for 323 miles, I achieved 32.2 mpg. I'm 170lb and was mostly the only "cargo." It wasn't fun.
Then I drove for the next two weeks like I would "normally"...not hyper-aggressive, but not wimpy, either. In very similar traffic and terrain, I got 27.8 mpg for 299 miles. I consider that my expected fuel economy.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:20 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I can't do that around here. Do you have rednecks in jacked up trucks and SUVs barreling down on you all the time? I do. I live in North Carolina, birthplace of NASCAR, and people think that it must mean that they have some genetic trait that gives them the ability to go really fast in a straight line.

Originally Posted by Zuman
I was very disciplined for a two-week period and drove my All4 everywhere like a wuss with a raw egg between my foot and the gas pedal. In mixed driving for 323 miles, I achieved 32.2 mpg. I'm 170lb and was mostly the only "cargo." It wasn't fun.
Then I drove for the next two weeks like I would "normally"...not hyper-aggressive, but not wimpy, either. In very similar traffic and terrain, I got 27.8 mpg for 299 miles. I consider that my expected fuel economy.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:39 PM
DR61
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sirbikes
Yeah I can't do that around here. Do you have rednecks in jacked up trucks and SUVs barreling down on you all the time? I do. I live in North Carolina, birthplace of NASCAR, and people think that it must mean that they have some genetic trait that gives them the ability to go really fast in a straight line.
Right ... People use this excuse in every area of the country. If you want to drive for best fuel economy, and know how, you can do it safely if you pay attention and stay alert.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:17 PM
bostonterrier
4th Gear
my first semi-long trip from mass to new hampshire...about 90 miles each way. with 93 in the tank, no passengers nor luggage and the first 10-15 or so miles city, my computer calculated exactly 30 mpg for the round trip. i have less than 500 miles on the car so it is still breaking-in. i have 17s, automatic and didn't use the sport mode. i was very pleased with the mileage for this little turbo engine.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:19 AM
asaulo1
5th Gear
just completed a 760 mile trip on my CMSa (non All4) from Los Angeles to San Francisco and back in the same day (long story).... anyway, I was on the gas for most of the trip which I figured I was averaging above 85+ mph.... and after the 1st fill up, I calculated around 28 mpg which wasn't bad since I was in a heavy headwind. What was disappointing was the range which is around 250 miles before it hit the last 2 bars of the fuel gauge. I tried not to even get to that point so I was gassing up around 220 miles or so. Another thing is the lack of lumbar support which is a big deal if you're spending a good 2-3 hours at a time in the seat. The seat itself is pretty comfortable but once out of the car, you'll definitely feel the lack of the lumbar support....

Old 01-30-2012, 09:38 AM
SpeedyDD
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by asaulo1
just completed a 760 mile trip on my CMSa (non All4) from Los Angeles to San Francisco and back in the same day (long story).... anyway, I was on the gas for most of the trip which I figured I was averaging above 85+ mph.... and after the 1st fill up, I calculated around 28 mpg which wasn't bad since I was in a heavy headwind. What was disappointing was the range which is around 250 miles before it hit the last 2 bars of the fuel gauge. I tried not to even get to that point so I was gassing up around 220 miles or so. Another thing is the lack of lumbar support which is a big deal if you're spending a good 2-3 hours at a time in the seat. The seat itself is pretty comfortable but once out of the car, you'll definitely feel the lack of the lumbar support....
Yes, I definitely notice the smaller tank. For me, better gas mileage, a more comfortable seat, and having cup holders of any kind were the primary reasons to switch to a new vehicle. The gas mileage is about the same so far, the seat only moderately better, and the cup holders a vast improvement than none, but leave something to be desired. However, I love my MINI, and wouldn't trade it for the world!

As for your back issues, I suggest using a full pillow (like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Duro-Med-Relax...f=pd_sim_hpc_1) for back support. The issue may not be the lumbar region, but being able to sit up straight, which is not possible with alignment of the seat with the headrest as it is. I tried the leather seats with lumbar support, and still had a problem.