R58 :: Coupé Talk (2012+) MINI Coupé (R58) discussion.

R58 N18 oil wicking issue - check it!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 03:31 PM
bhegg
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The M People
Since this thread is in the R58 Coupe section , I assume this problem only happen in the R58 Coupe ?
It appears that this problem can occur in an MCS with the N18 (2011+) as well.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:47 AM
cjm
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yup, thanks to jamesday24's excellent photo I've just been under my 02/12 MCS N18 and seen exactly the same leaky harness with the bonus of 'oily fingers'.

I'm ringing my dealer next...

Thank NAM forum! Without your help I wouldn't have 'rattled the cage' over here regarding my N18 fan running/thermostat issues now I can do more rattling about this oil leak (which my dealer hadn't heard about last week...) I'm going to email them that photo; it's not easy to see the problem without it.. Thanks again, folks! (And a happy Xmas to you all.)

Old 12-04-2012, 05:49 AM
rosvick
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you for properly posting that pic, James! Thank the gods someone knows how to use this forum stuff better than me! Heh heh....

Old 12-04-2012, 06:34 AM
cjm
3rd Gear
Sorry rosvick; it was your photo reposted.
Thanks a lot!
I've already emailed it to my dealer here in UK, told them about the 'wicking issue' and booked it in to leave it with them on Thurs 6/12.
It hasn't been featured over here...yet.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:15 PM
rosvick
3rd Gear
No worries at all, cjm! I hope that photo can help you, and many others, find a quick solution to this issue with their dealers, myself included....

Old 12-08-2012, 02:58 AM
cjm
3rd Gear
Yes, there is an oil leak behind the sump, they say. Some parts have arrived but not all. There was a 'plate' mentioned that had arrived and 'new gaskets' that hadn't. They'll be in on Mon 10/12/12, I gather.

Doesn't sound like there's a fixing kit, just a collection of parts. (AND there's been an N18 chain tensioner fix posted on this site...worried about product development.)

I wonder if this will be another quiet recall in the UK like the extra thermostat + cradle enhancement.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:31 AM
cjm
3rd Gear
I ought to edit this post and say that I can't find my N18 'chain tensioner source' despite revisiting loads of posts.

I'm fairly sure it was on NAM (but it could have been MINI2 or TotalMini) and I remember a poster saying that he'd returned his car for attention to the N18 thermostat or N18 oil wicking issue (my areas of research) and he was pleased that the dealer had replaced his tensioner too!

I particularly remember thinking I must keep my ear out for this; I part-exchanged my N14 MCS hatch to an N18 to try to avoid c-t issues. This was the first time I'd heard of N18 tensioner troubles and it stuck in my mind.

Sorry if I've unnecessarily caused stress to anyone but if you've had your tensioner changed on an N18 hatch/coupe/roadster or CM please let us know...

Old 12-08-2012, 08:31 AM
rosvick
3rd Gear
So I had Broadspeed in to the dealership this past Thursday and Friday. They had a look and found that it was the ping sensor that was leaking, so they ordered a new one in overnight.

Friday came along, and when the tech started to remove the old ping sensor, he found that the seal wasn't properly aligned in the first place. So, he put it back in its place, drove the car, put it back in the air, and found no leaks whatsoever.

I'm wondering how many of these sensors have misaligned seals on them? Maybe that's all it takes, and that parts don't have to be replaced?

Regardless, I'll keep driving her for a while, and keep an eye on the sensor to see if it starts leaking again. Hopefully not!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:33 AM
cjm
3rd Gear
Great news!

Old 12-08-2012, 02:12 PM
cjm
3rd Gear
PLUS I've managed to find the post about an N18 that needed timing chain tensioner attention from the dealer. It was on NAM...
Oh, and is the 'ping sensor' part of the oil pump/solenoid that's leaking? Or something else leaking close by that's running onto that same wiring harness which loops downwards?
BTW; thanks for sharing...

Last edited by cjm; 12-08-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:50 AM
DAVESTER
4th Gear
I'm confused now. What the hell is up with the tensioner?

Old 12-10-2012, 05:25 AM
rosvick
3rd Gear
The ping sensor is, apparently, the sensor that leaks, and is the component in question in this thread. It's the sensor that I photographed, and James was kind enough to post earlier.

And, as Davester said, I'm also confused about the N18 tensioner stuff. Link, please?

Old 12-10-2012, 05:47 AM
cjm
3rd Gear
Thanks for that, rosvick.

So it's the sensor that 'reads' the (new to N18) oil pump valve solenoid that seems to have a leaky gasket and 'wicks' up the droopy sensor take off cable, then?

ps I'm about to pm you all my current info re N18 chain tensioner in an attempt to avoid hijacking the 'oil wicking thread'...

update: I've just picked my car up after the 'N18 oil wick fix'. Paperwork to follow but the SA said an updated part had been fitted along with a new wiring-to-sensor harness and new gasket.

Thanks NAM folks for your advice, photo + support. This isn't a known issue, yet, in UK. With your help I was able to diagnose and substantiate my warranty claim - Wow!

Last edited by cjm; 12-10-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:04 AM
reRESERVEDMD
3rd Gear
I will check mine at 1200 miles. Since they need to replace oil, I might get that oil change free of charge Will just have to pay for the filter.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:59 PM
nfo
6th Gear
thanks for all the info guys.. i'm hoping to get my n18 r59 checked out next week.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:06 AM
peterhell
1st Gear
Don't be too sure they change the engine oil doing the oil pump
solenoid. In the UK they catch the old engine oil in a bowl and
when they have finished the job put the old oil back in. I asked
if you got new oil and its then that they told me they put the old oil
Back in the engine.

Originally Posted by reRESERVEDMD
I will check mine at 1200 miles. Since they need to replace oil, I might get that oil change free of charge Will just have to pay for the filter.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:58 AM
DAVESTER
4th Gear
Yeah, they are suppose to catch and reuse the old oil, but it is a mess to do. I looked at my oil level before I took it to the dealer and again after I picked it up. Before it was dark and after it was clean. They did put new oil in my S Coupe.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:55 AM
rosvick
3rd Gear
Sitrep: I had my Coupé up in the air a few days ago, and had a look at what my dealer did for the repair. As I said before, they told me that a seal was misaligned, but they were able to rectify that and use the same ping sensor. Apparently the tech also siliconed the living crap out of the solenoid, and then cleaned everything up with some brake cleaner. It looks kind of shoddy, but there's definitely no oil leak anymore!

I'm not in the slightest big upset about it; I just thought it was a bit funny and interesting. I guess whatever works, right? :D

Old 12-22-2012, 08:55 AM
peterhell
1st Gear
Hi
They probably put new oil in in the USA as I think they
are a bit more generous. We pay more for everything
and get less. Castrol edge professional at the mini dealers
cost just short of £20 a litre here. Bet it's a lot cheaper in America.

Originally Posted by DAVESTER
Yeah, they are suppose to catch and reuse the old oil, but it is a mess to do. I looked at my oil level before I took it to the dealer and again after I picked it up. Before it was dark and after it was clean. They did put new oil in my S Coupe.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:16 AM
peterhell
1st Gear
Hi
What does the oil pump solenoid do. Does
It act as the oil pressure relief valve ?
I think it does something else as its referred
to as an oil volume solenoid sometimes is this to
do with fuel economy, it pumps less oil
When its not needed.
Does someone have the technical description
for it ?

Last edited by peterhell; 12-22-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Car is in for this....part probably won't be in till Friday! Says the part is specific to every car by VIN, so I'm guessing a new ECU/DME??? Idk

Said something about the wiring harness was throwing fault codes when they tested at the DME? Is that something a scangauge would pick up? Because I never pulled anything and I believe I was driving the car like that for sometime until I came across this thread.

I have the Akra R to get rid of the CEL due to the catless DP...do you folks think that thing is causing issues....or is it the oil wick that's the only culprit?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:35 AM
cjm
3rd Gear
My oil-wicking fix paperwork came through after a reminder to the dealer.

No mention of DME/ECU stuff. No new wiring harness either unless it's attached to, or part of, the new solenoid valve. On my car it's covered with a white sealant now, so I can't confirm.

The attachment shows the parts the dealer fitted. I hope it helps someone. It'll be interesting to compare what the different dealers do to solve the problem...

Attached Thumbnails N18 oil wicking issue - check it!-oil-leak.jpg  
Old 01-07-2013, 02:36 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Hmmm that's weird...for my situation then.
Maybe the oil got to my wiring harness and this is what has to be done if it gets to it.

I was told that they did a fix, but the issue came back? (throwing 6 faults is what he said)

Old 01-19-2013, 03:12 PM
M'Cooper
3rd Gear
I hope this isn't like the same issue VW had with the "coolant migration", it can cause lots of issues.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:52 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by M'Cooper
I hope this isn't like the same issue VW had with the "coolant migration", it can cause lots of issues.
I hope not, apparently the part they ordered didn't match VINS, looks like I'll be going back in 2 weeks when the part is made/shipped from Germany.

Quick Reply: R58 N18 oil wicking issue - check it!